facebook

Vote for New or Enhanced Features in MyEclipse!

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

Please vote for your single most-wanted new feature or enhancement to existing features in the poll above.

We have taken all the feedback from our community, customers and email over the last few months and focused the majority of requests down into these following groups and want to give everyone a chance to vote on how we drive MyEclipse forward the most effectively for our users.

Thank you for taking the time to participate; we look forward to hearing from everyone!

#293417 Reply

henk

I think this poll is a very good idea. I remember you had polls like this in the past, but at some point you just stopped with the polls. Great to see it being back.

My vote went to “Add a Java Profiler”. There are a couple of Java profilers available (Jprofiler as a commercial offering and Visual VM that comes with the JDK among others), but integration with Eclipse and more specifically MyEclipse has often been problematic. Ej-technologies (creators of JProfiler) refuses to add a profile for MyEclipse. I mailed extensively with them about this. Sometimes they downright refuse it and sometimes they state they already support it, but it’s clear that they have a very hard time to understand the difference between plain WTP and MyEclipse. I have had mixed results with the Visual VM when trying to profile an application started by Eclipse or MyEclipse. At first it seems to work, but the results then appear to be awkward, with many ‘strange’ warnings appearing in the log.

Of course, both profilers work quite nicely when they directly attach to a Java app (without Eclipse sitting in between). Starting up everything outside Eclipse, even though not very difficult, is simply annoying. Annoying enough so that in practice quite a lot of developers in my team are simply not profiling at all.

If I could vote twice, my second vote would have gone to enhancing JSF/Facelets support. Every enhancement is welcome here. Though the tooling is really good already, there are quite a number of rough edges. Polishing those certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Additional things that would be welcome is build-in SVN/Subversive support. Igor (author of the Subversive plug-in) does a great job, but installing the plug-in is not exactly trivial for new users. One of the first reaction new Eclipse users have when I walk them through an Eclipse install is one of surprise: why does something so basic as SVN has to be separately installed and what’s with all the choices (adding 1 url, ‘making that URL visible (?)’, SVN JDT ignore extensions, SVN Team Provider, add another URL, SVN Connectors, choose between 6 SVN implementation, …). Seriously, such an install procedure is a little over the top for simple SVN support in Eclipse. Simply packaging all that for an -it just works- out of the box experience, might be a benefit.

Slightly related to this; it would be cool too if you could update the road map more often. It’s quite hard to see currently in what direction MyEclipse is heading. Currently the roadmap still says this:

“MyEclipse 7.0 GA *Releasing mid-November, 2008 ”

If I’m not mistaken, MyEclipse 7.0 GA has already been released and it’s already 2009. Even if you don’t know what you are going to do for 2009 (I know from my own development this can be hard to determine), but updating the road map to at least include the last release should be trivial 😉

#293457 Reply

allenparslow

I also think the poll is a good idea and the roadmap is great for transparency.

Missing on the poll is Enhanced Maven support.

#293472 Reply

malexand
    Participant

Also missing from the poll is the long open issue of lack of complete support on MacOS X

#293474 Reply

Ton Huisman

Also missing is a decent number of votes, (88 visits, and only 9 responses, 1 is mine). That’s a rather poor ratio, imho.

/Ton

#293488 Reply

Seldon Systems
    Participant

I think this poll should be linked to from the home page to give it some exposure.

#293540 Reply

You need to add support for Groovy+Grails. By providing support for Grails, people who work on Java/J2EE projects can leverage the Grails framework for rapid prototyping of new ideas, whether design ideas or functional enhancements. This is truly the most promising technology in the Java/J2EE space. The fact that you can leverage your existing code and the vast ecosystem of Java/J2EE Open Source projects endows the (Groovy+)Grails framework with true value, not just marketing hype.

Some of the other features are interesting and some interesting and valuable (e.g. Java profiler, AJAX/Javascript) but Grails is a huge productivity accelerator.

I will be looking forward to see support for Groovy+Grails in MyEclipse. At the same time, I am willing to adopt an entirely new IDE that will provide good support for Groovy+Grails.

#293573 Reply

Enhanced stability would be nice. At this moment I can’t use MyEclipse 7 due to an internal error that’s associated with trying to zip stuff. I’ve also had problems with out-of-memory conditions, particularly after running Matisse for awhile, and no-more-file errors after debugging in JBoss for awhile.

#293618 Reply

henk

@rws@templarcorp.com wrote:

Enhanced stability would be nice.

I definitely second that! Enhanced stability may not be a sexy feature to have on a vote list, but it’s really an important issue.

#293757 Reply

sunnyqin

That’s nice to have the pol! l 🙂 My first option is “Enhanced JSF/Facelets Support”.

I’m also in favor of henk about “build-in SVN/Subversive support” That would be a nice feature to have. I have another specific suggestion which is also related to this. For an enterprise application project, generally there will include several projects. If there is a option for an enterprise application project to include sub-projects under the it, the version control would be more convenient.

Talking of “Enhanced stability” . I ran into the problem that when I click “Browse…” button for setting server home directory under MyEclipse Server setting dialog. MyEclipse suddenly closes.

#294476 Reply

herve.labboz

Vote is a great idea,
    I want a java profiler in MyEclipse, please !!!

#297585 Reply

kael

I request what ever available in JBOSS tool

#306568 Reply

few ideas guys:
    – ER-Master, incredible good eclipse open source plugin, just add it as it as. great tool.
    – ExtJS support: aptana studio also something to consider
    – a good js/ajax required.
    – also spring3, restfull json would be nice to have.

thx

#314688 Reply

java profiler is indeed the best

#321021 Reply

Anil Gothal

Future is “Javascript” especially frameworks like ExtJS and jQuery. Need to have more sophisticated Editors and IDE support like Java.

I would say, put 50% of force on this area…:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Vote for New or Enhanced Features in MyEclipse!

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in