facebook

Watertribe mobile mapper app for android/ios

1. MobiOne Archive
  2.  > 
  3. App Showcase, Stories, Discussions
  • This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jim.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jim

I recently deployed an android and ios app that I made with MobiOne and is now used in the Watertribe races. The Watertribe is a group that races canoes, kayaks and small sailboats through tough conditions in extremely challenging areas. We just finished the 7 day Everglades Challenge which starts in St. Petersburg, Fl and goes down the west coast of Florida and then through the Everglades, ending up in Key Largo Florida. There’s even a 1200 mile race completely around Florida with a 40 mile portage.

Everyone in the race is required to carry a satellite spot transceiver which continuously tracks their progress. My app displays a google map and shows everyone’s position. It’s a tool that is used by people watching the race as well as the participants. I was in the race this year and was able to check where my competition was during the race. I charged a couple dollars for the app to help defray my costs because I found it frustrating waiting on someone to upload my app to apple. I ended up having to buy a mac just so I could get last minute changes deployed in time for the race.

Unfortunately this year I only made it 100 miles after getting caught in a 35mph gale and huge seas at night in my sailing kayak. But the app worked great.
    Google play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobione.startup
    Apple Itunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watertribe-mobile-mapper/id595181534?mt=8

http://captnchaosec.blogspot.com

#338211 Reply

Brandon

App looks pretty cool. Is it updated in real time?

#338289 Reply

jim

Thanks Brandon,

A server updates the data every 15 minutes. To keep my app from sucking down too many resources I put an “update map” button on the app. And I won’t request the data from the server unless fresh data is available. I simply give them a message to try the update in xxx minutes. The app helped many challengers this year as well as the shore support people.

#338321 Reply

Brandon

I have a question if you dont mind sharing, how did you handle the data? I am putting together a new app and I am thinking of using a SQL hosted database to store the users information. You mentioned that the participants already had GPS devices did you have to tie into this or did you make your own database for it?

If you dont want to share on here you can always email me at info at cincyplanet dot com

thanks

#338324 Reply

jim

@CincyPlanet wrote:

You mentioned that the participants already had GPS devices did you have to tie into this or did you make your own database for it?

Of course they all carry gps devices but they are required to carry satellite SPOT devices and those are what tracks their progress.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Watertribe mobile mapper app for android/ios

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in