facebook

Web Project best practices… [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I consider myself an expert java developer but fairly new to JSP and Servlet development. I’m using the Web Project support in myEclipse and trying to port an existing web project into the structure. The previous build mechanism was to keep subdivided directories for various elements (jsp’s, images, css). In some cases there are further subdivisions (in the jsp directory for instance). This is a big struts 1.0 project with several hundred files all told.

In using the Web Project mechanism in myEclipse all these files need to be copied into the Web Root to match the deployment structure. I understand the reasons for this but my problem is, when this project was originally deployed all the structure I described above was copied into a relatively flat structure to deal with the fact that most web resources are found using relative URI’s. In other words the relative paths were made equivelent to the Web Context of the deployment.

I’m looking for pointers to best practices or simply suggestions as to how to live within the restrictions imposed by the Web tools in myEclipse and still have some semblance of structure so I don’t have to slog through all these files in a flat structure in the web root.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

#197266 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mike,

Let me see if I can help a bit.

In using the Web Project mechanism in myEclipse all these files need to be copied into the Web Root

This is a bit misstated. The web content files don’t have to go directly in the Web Root, they have to be somewhere UNDER the Web Root. You can still subdivide them into directories as you did before. You don’t have to flatten it or anything (that would suck), so the relative links should still work fine.

Hope that helps.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Web Project best practices… [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in