facebook

web.xml validating too slow and don’t report errors [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Arno06

Hello,

When I save the.web.xml file it takes about 30 seconds and if I do errors in it, they are not reported into task list

Arnaud

#196163 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback. Currently DTD’s are not cached. We are working to add this capability for the GA release. Minimally the next EA release will provide the user a preference to disable deployment descriptor validation. For the 2.0.2 release consider using the Eclipse TextEditor as short-term workaround.

In our test cases validation has worked well as long as the DTD is retreivable. I can only guess that validation errors are not being reported because the external DTD retrieval is not successful. In such cases MyEclipse reports no errors rather than a warning that validation was not performed. We will provide a warning in the future.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#196955 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We added a preference item in the GA release so that validation is now optional.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197106 Reply

When i press the refresh button on my project root (to refresh after xdoclet generation) the xml files are being validated even when the preference is set to false.

#197111 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The XML files will always be checked to ensure they are well-formed, this is done by a fast, local SAX parse. The preference item controls whether or not they will also be checked against the DTD to ensure that they are valid. It is this check that may be problematic due to network latencies, so it is the only thing disabled.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197112 Reply

So why it takes so much time to refresh my project? Can you help on how to solve this problem? (it takes almost 30 sec for every xml file)

#197115 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I just rechecked this functionality on my installation and it is working as expected. To test, open up one of your descriptors and before the closing tag, add a snippet of well-formed xml that doesn’t have any business in the descriptor. When you save, you shouldn’t get error messages if you have validation disabled, but you will get errors if you have validation enabled.

As for the 30 seconds, the save does cause the builders to run to do the well-formedness check. The time this takes is dependent on a lot of things such as CPU speed, memory available, etc. I must admit 30 seconds seems high, but if you only have 256MB of RAM or a slow CPU it may be reasonable.

-Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197138 Reply

My machine is P4 2.4 and 512MB of ram.

The exact procedure is:
    1. i change an xml deployment descriptor outside of eclipse
    2. i press the refresh button to my projects root
    3. I see a dialog titled “Progress Information” with the following messages
    “Validating /OrgChartEJB/src/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml”
    “Validating /OrgChartEJB/classes/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml”
    etc for every xml file in my project structure
    (both in src and classes directories)

each file validation takes 30sec and at that time eclipse is using no cpu resources.
    To test it unplug your machine from the network and restart eclipse.

Please help on this issue because it really hurts our productivity.

Thanks in advance, Panos.

#197146 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Two things to try:

1) do you have any other XML Editor plugin in your environment (XMen, XMLBuddy, SolarEclipse)? If yes disable or remove this plugin and verify that the slow validation still exits.

2) Please reverify that you have disable XML validation. Go to Window Preferences > MyEclipse > Editors > XML Editor and verify that XML validation is disabled. Then try this test case again.

I’ll continue to test for potential problems on this end.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#197152 Reply

I don’t have any other xml plugin installed and and xml validaton is disabled.

#197153 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We’ll dig into this further today. I’ll post what we find back to this thread.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197155 Reply

scullz78

I am experiencing the same problem. Only it happens when I edit an .xml file within Eclipse, click “Save” and it takes 20-30 seconds to finish. I too have validation disabled and don’t have any other XML editors installed. I’m running Eclipse 2.1.1, the latest MyEclipse, Windows XP, jdk 1.4.1. I don’t know if there is any other information I can provide to help trouble shoot.

thanks,
    –matt

#197156 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We’ve determined that our XML builder is a little “over zealous” in choosing which XML files it checks. We’ll get it back into it’s intended box of just doing the ones in WEB-INF and META-INF folders and get it out in the first service pack, which we’re targeting for Monday at the latest.

Thanks for providing the details that helped us run this one down.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197214 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Version 2.5.1 addresses this issue.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: web.xml validating too slow and don’t report errors [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in