facebook

What appserver would be best for…

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Off Topic
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

James

Firstly I don’t really need the power of a J2EE server. Only requirement is HTTP/HTTPS JSP/HTML container, JDBC pooling, some form of built-in JAAS compatible security, web services and rest of the base JDK 1.4 functionality. Therefore I’m thinking Tomcat is a nice lightweight type container for doing that.

Only real non-standard thing I’d like to do is create a thread pool to handle raw TCP/IP connections. The entities I’m talking to cannot use HTTP so I need some form of TCP/IP ServerSocket manager and a pool of threads to manage requests/responses to them.

So my question is can I do this in Tomcat safely? i.e. have a separate set of threads that manage communication with external entities? I’d really like to have some kind of startup class that initializes the thread pool and connectivity to the remote applications. Another option is I do this outside of Tomcat but it would be nice to deploy everything into the same container.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    /Jimmy

#219047 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to OT > Soft Dev.

As far as starting up the thread pool, that’s exactly what a StartupServlet with a load-sequence of 1 is used for in a servlet container, perfect situation. I didn’t quite understand your post as one part of it sounds like you need an app server (HTTP/HTTPS/JSP/HTML) and the other part sounds like you don’t need it at all (Raw TCP/IP)… if you need both, then yes Tomcat is the perfect fit for this.

#219082 Reply

James

Thanks Riyad.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: What appserver would be best for…

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in