facebook

What external sites does CodeMix need access to?

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tandtsw
    Participant

I have been successfully evaluating CodeMix on my personal workstation which has full internet access. In my client’s environment I can install CodeMix because they are not blocking the Eclipse Marketplace. However CodeMix does not work after installation there because apparently it needs access to external site(s) that are not currently granted by my client’s proxy/firewall.

(1) Exactly what domains does CodeMix need access to? *.genuitec.com and/or anything else?

(2) As a suggestion, CodeMix should “fail nicely” when it is unable to access external sites that it needs rather than freeze Eclipse.

#584035 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Thanks for the report – we carried out some tests locally and found that CodeMix does fail (and not gracefully) when it does not have Internet access.

As far as CodeMix functionality itself is concerned, you’d see the following failures.

a) Inability to install extensions / extension packs
    This unfortunately seems to impact new project creation, which fails as well. Note that you can still create projects externally and import them into your workspace using File > Open Projects from File System.

b) Updates won’t work

If you open access to *.genuitec.com, you should be good on both fronts.

Could you tell me what action sequence you tried and what freezes you experienced – in our testing, some actions failed outright with error dialogs, but none of these failures caused Eclipse to freeze.

c) npm
    If you run an npm install for one of your projects, npm itself will need to reach out to the npm registry here: https://registry.npmjs.org/ to download modules.

This is an example of tools that are outside our control for the moment -here you would need to configure npm and/or your firewall accordingly.

We’re already working on ensuring we perform better when offline, will update this bug with details as we progress.

Thanks!

#584064 Reply

tandtsw
    Participant

When I first installed CodeMix last week it froze Eclipse, but today when I tried again from scratch it didn’t freeze. It did seem to delay start-up and fail as you describe.

The Extension Manager produces this error:
    An internal error occurred during: “Requesting installed extensions”.
    org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to downloads.genuitec.com:80 [downloads.genuitec.com/209.135.140.80, downloads.genuitec.com/209.135.140.199] failed: Connection timed out: connect

#584277 Reply

Brian Fernandes

The Extension Manager produces this error:
    An internal error occurred during: “Requesting installed extensions”.

Yes, this is what we see as well – we’re getting this fixed so that this is gracefully handled.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: What external sites does CodeMix need access to?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in