facebook

Where’s the Linux?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Old Posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

guru4u

I was excited when I found this site, logined in and found nothing but windows downloads, people don’t seem to understand that java for linux is up to par, I’ll be back when linux is sipported.

#196274 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

That’s good to hear! You won’t have to wait too long. We anticipate having a Linux version of our next release, EA2, available in mid June (a few days after we all return from JavaOne).

Please don’t think we didn’t support Linux out of a bias against it or something. The reality of it is that there are only a certain number of us and only a fixed number of hours in the day. We just didn’t have time to perform a good set of tests on Linux and build a proper installer for it for this release. We’ve been focused more on getting the core functionality in place.

Don’t worry though, Linux is coming. Check back around the 15th or so.

–Scott

MyEclipse Support

#196289 Reply

guru4u

hehe you know I got to thinking I sign up on my 30th and half my trial be over even fet to download, no tproblem cause I already know I I want the feature set and feature additions the only issuses it wheater I like the UI and the code generrated from the wizards, that will take all of thirty minutes to determine 🙂

#196290 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Don’t worry about the timing. The EA2 release will come with a 30-day trial also, since we’re still expanding the feature set and haven’t gone to a production release yet. You’ll have enough time to give it a good try. Besides, since we offer a money-back guarantee it really doesn’t do us any good to rush your decision too much. 🙂

#196348 Reply

greno

Looking forward to June 18th and Linux support in EA2. 🙂

#196352 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Greno,

Right now I’m hearing from development that the Linux installer may be a couple of days behind the release of EA2, just so we have time to validate it properly. Don’t get discouraged, I literally mean a few days. It’s coming very soon but we want to be sure we’re confident that it works properly since this will be our first Linux distribution.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196425 Reply

dantrevino

Don’t you guys maybe have a beta release for Linux?

#196427 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Dan,

Basically, not yet. We’ve been burning the midnight oil to get EA2 out the door. Between EA2 and GA we’ll be adding a couple more features, doing any bug fixes we need to, adding lots of documentation and tutorials, and adding support for Linux. As soon as we’ve generated a Linux installer and done a modicum of testing internally I’ve got a list of several Linux devotees (yourself included) that I’ll contact to give the virgin Linux build a go.

We’re going to get there soon, so please bear with us. On the bright side, when our Linux version does ship, it will be very full featured. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196467 Reply

Scott,

Could you please put me down for your beta on Linux. My company has been developing with and building plugins for Eclipse for well over a year now. We have been using the Eclipse GTK2 on Red Hat Linux for the past 9 months as our primary development platform. We do EJB (JBoss), web (struts), xml, database, etc., so I think we are in a good position to give you some viable feedback.

We are very much interested in your project and are looking forward to giving it try.

Regards,
    Joel

#196468 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Joel,

No problem. I’ve added you to my list. We’ve just begun some Linux testing internally and have seen a couple of problems. Hopefully, their resolution will be swift.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196496 Reply

Scott,

I am also interested in the Linux Beta. I have been trying to switch to Eclipse for a year … sadly most plugins are mediocre at best. Eclipse’s editor is far better than Netbeans which we use at present. So show me that Eclipse can beat Netbeans! Your project looks promising!

Regards,

Keith R. Davis
    Mutiny Bay Software, LLC

#196497 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Keith,

I am also interested in the Linux Beta.

Testing on Linux has just begun and it’s right behind documentation in priority. I’ll let you, and several others, know when we have a beta available. You Linux-philes sure are a vocal lot; only 5% of the visitors to MyEclipse are running Linux, according to our website stats. 🙂

So show me that Eclipse can beat Netbeans! Your project looks promising!

We’ll be glad to. Stay tuned…

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196587 Reply

dantrevino

You Linux-philes sure are a vocal lot; only 5% of the visitors to MyEclipse are running Linux, according to our website stats. 🙂

No, only 5% of your visitors are not forced to use other browsers ;). Besides, don’t forget that many people purposefully change the user-agent string so that we can get into sites that artificially block non-proprietary browsers.

I, for one, am happy about the prospect of a useful web-app tool that is usable on Linux.

#196592 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Besides, don’t forget that many people purposefully change the user-agent string so that we can get into sites that artificially block non-proprietary browsers.

Hadn’t considered that one. 🙂

Good news, looks like Linux execution issues have been worked through and first cut of installer is being built today (7/1).

I, for one, am happy about the prospect of a useful web-app tool that is usable on Linux.

And we’re really hoping there are thousands more just like you.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196680 Reply

As has already been pointed out, web statics can be very misleading. To add to the already listed reasons, consider that some (many?) linux user work in dual Windows/Linux environment and choose to use the Windows browser because it is (unfortunately) a bit more polished. For instance we work on Windows 2000 workstations running Cygwin/XFree86 and our development environment lives on a big Linux server. I think this may be fairly common setup.

Btw, when do you think the Linux is going to be ready for a peak.

Cheerio,
    Joel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Where’s the Linux?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in