facebook

Why three different versions? Windows, Linux MAC OS X

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jeffmcclure

I’m just starting out with MyEclipse, so the first question that poped into my mind when I started the download is: why three versions?

One of the great features of java is platform independence. It seems odd that the eclipse plug-in would not conform with this Java axiom.

Is there something about MyEclipse that precludes a platform neutral plug-in?

#201025 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Jeff,

The software is platform neutral. We simply ship really nice native installers for all our supported platforms to make it easy for our users to get going. The features and code are the same across all versions. Once you run the installer once, all subsequent versions can be installed using our update site.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201030 Reply

jeffmcclure

Scott,

Thanks for your prompt response. It is good to know that the distribution is the same except for the installer. With only one distribution I would expect to aviod the problem of new releases/features being availble only on one platform.

However, I do notice a problem with the native installer approach you are currently using. It seems that for Linux and MacOS/X the latest available version is 2.6.4, however if you are running on the Windows platform your version is 2.7 RC1.

Per the instructions avaiable via these forms, I’ve used the Install/Update Perspective to look for a new version, however nothing is avaiable.

Is there something I can do to run the latest relesae canidate version on the Linux platform?

Jeff

#201033 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

With only one distribution I would expect to aviod the problem of new releases/features being availble only on one platform.

Actually, having only one distribution has nothing to do with our availability on a particular platform since our installer creation has never been the issue. We use InstallAnywhere Enterprise and it is actually quite capable of creating installers for just about any platform.

Is there something I can do to run the latest relesae canidate version on the Linux platform?

No, you’re doing the right thing. We didn’t release the release candidate on Linux and Mac because they didn’t pass our QA checks when 2.7RC1 went out. The issues have since been addressed and all versions will once again be available for 2.7 RC2, which should be available in the 12/22 – 12/23 timeline. The code in all versions will continue to be the same, but it just goes to show that you really do need to test on every platform and not just assume that because it works on Windows that it works on Mac and Linux. Fortunately, we do test every build on every platform, but that sometimes means we have to hold one build or another. Hang in there, the Linux build is coming. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201037 Reply

snpe

Will MyEclipse 3.7 (eclipse m5/m6) be avaliable 22/12-23/12 ?
    (eclipse m6 test candidate is out)

regards
    Haris Peco

#201065 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Haris,

Yes. 🙂

–Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Why three different versions? Windows, Linux MAC OS X

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in