facebook

Windows Vista Compiler and Deployment out of synch

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Matt Bucknam
    Participant

This problem is hard to describe so I’ll just try to be brief. Using Eclipse 3.2 nightly release and MyEclipse 5.1.1 on Windows Vista Ultimate. When building a VERY LARGE ear project with 30,000+ classes and jsps and other stuff, some of the generated class files that get deployed to the app server are different from the ones in the eclipse class folder. I know it sounds crazy but here is the manifestation.

I run a jsp that calls a class and it barks saying some method is not available in that class. I copy the class from eclipse class folder to app server deployed class folder and, lo and behold, they are DIFFERENT (size of file). I run the page again and the problem is gone.

It also works to change the file in eclipse and let the hot deployer replace the existing one.

My workspace is on a USB drive and the deploy directory is actually a junction point off of C:\ that lives on a second USB drive. Workspace build and app server deploy time are drastically improved using the external drives. I don’t know if that could be part of the problem.

#267209 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Using Eclipse 3.2 nightly release and MyEclipse 5.1.1 on Windows Vista Ultimate.

That’s probably not good right there, MYEclipse 5.1.1 is build specifically for Eclipse 3.2.2 GA release. Just a heads up incase you run into weirdness.

When building a VERY LARGE ear project with 30,000+ classes and jsps and other stuff, some of the generated class files that get deployed to the app server are different from the ones in the eclipse class folder. I know it sounds crazy but here is the manifestation.

Hmm, sounds strange…

I run a jsp that calls a class and it barks saying some method is not available in that class. I copy the class from eclipse class folder to app server deployed class folder and, lo and behold, they are DIFFERENT (size of file). I run the page again and the problem is gone.

Ok first thing that pops in my head is some issue occuring during deployment possibly caused by permission problems or deployment failing and short circuiting and not actually finishing the deployment, so you are actually working with half new stuff and half old stuff….

Workspace build and app server deploy time are drastically improved using the external drives. I don’t know if that could be part of the problem.

Let’s rule out issues like memory problems. Can you go to your log file (<workspace dir>\.metadata\.log) and erase it.

1) Go check your deployment dir, right-click and go to properties to find the size of the deployed dir, write it down.
    2) Now restart MyEclipse, remove your deployment completely.
    3) Go out to the deployment location physically and make sure it’s gone.
    4) Go back into your project and rebuild it (sorry) and redeploy it.
    5) Go double-check the deployed dir, check the size again… is it similar or the same or totally different?
    6) Check for a new .log file in the log location, paste the entire thing here if there is one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Windows Vista Compiler and Deployment out of synch

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in