facebook

XML editor tag closure code-assist [Enhancement]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Erik Reuter

Issue 1:

When I have an open XML tag and hit ctrl+space after it to close the tag, nothing happens if the XML file isn’t backed by a DTD.

Issue/suggestion 2:

To close the tag, I have to write </ and then press ctrl+space to get code assist to work. It would be nice if code assist gave me some suggestions up front without me having to type anything.

Running 3.7rc2 on Fedora Core Linux.

Regards
    Erik

#203648 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Erik,
    Yes you are absolutely right those would be nice additions. We will also look into issue #1 although I think this is related to why issue #2 doesn’t work: the XML editor doesn’t build out an internal tree that it offers you completions on. This would be nice because then it would allow the user to autocomplete pretty much anything if the editor could learn from the file and build its own ‘dtd’ internally.

#203650 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Off topic, but Erik, how does Eclipse/MyEclipse run on FC2? IIRC that release is a 2.6 kernal with NTPL support right?

I’m asking because currently Eclipse runs like Swing 1.1 under linux on a vanilla 2.4 box I dev with at work (2.8Ghz, 1GB ram… hardly slow)

#203653 Reply

Erik Reuter

I tried installing Eclipse M6 under FC2 test1, but the perspective picker on the left side is missing and when I try switching perspective via Window->Open perspective it crashes.

Haven’t tried M7 yet to see if they solved the problem.

I’m running MyEclipse on M6 and FC1 with 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl kernel right now. That runs…. say… acceptable… but nowhere near the performance I see on Windows.

The NPTL kernel doesn’t do much for performance in Eclipse, but when running an AppServer (like JBoss) using JRE 1.4.2_02 it’s noticably faster when NTPL is enabled due to the enhanced threading model.

I think the SWT guys generally haven’t payed that much attention on Linux performance or maybe it’s GTK2 that’s the real bottleneck here.

#203654 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Complete OT, but if you are interested the topic is the 2nd highest voted bug in Eclipse’s database:
    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=37683

There just doesn’t seem to be any developer interest in drilling down to figure out what the problem it. If you run the benchmarks and enter your results and system config that could help.

Overall text operations look to be up to 11x slower on linux with SWT/GTK. The sad part is that even Motif isn’t much faster while swt-fox (swtfox.sf.net) is a C++ UI toolkit port for Eclipse and seems to give equal performance to Windows (but very unstable)

#203655 Reply

Erik Reuter

That bug just got another vote : )

Have you tried swtfox?

What propably scares people from looking into the bug looks to be that this could easily become a shouting contest between the GTk (Pango) and Eclipse developers.

One thing that’s noteworthy is that the GTk guys says that it’s the RENDER extension that does most of the work… I have an ATI gfx card in my box and I know the X RENDER extension is not hardware accellerated (running ATIs fglrx driver). This doesn’t improve things!

On a general note, I’m runing KDE as my primary desktop and it seems that QT apps are generally more crisp than their GTK counterparts.

#203656 Reply

Riyad Kalla

That bug just got another vote : )

Good, hopefully they will start to take it seriously.

Have you tried swtfox?

Yes I have, its VERY responsive, it basically gives you Windows performance but its very unstable (crashes Eclipse a lot). The upshot is that its fast, the downside is that it isn’t developed very actively and frustrates you ever more when you realize the performance if Eclipse had supported the QT library instead of GTK.

What propably scares people from looking into the bug looks to be that this could easily become a shouting contest between the GTk (Pango) and Eclipse developers.

Possibly, even though this hasn’t stopped people before from yelling at eachother in open source 😀

On a general note, I’m runing KDE as my primary desktop and it seems that QT apps are generally more crisp than their GTK counterparts.

Just running a straight Gnome desktop will give this impression; it does draw slower and overall is a slower desktop. Its just when running Eclipse that really makes things unbearable. I’m not sure what SWT is doing to GTK/Pango, but it doesn’t seem to be good 😉

Please feel free to email or PM me any followups, I don’t want to derail this thread more than I already have.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: XML editor tag closure code-assist [Enhancement]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in