By using a package’s Notifications tab, you can send messages to users of the package. Notifications can be critical, warning, or informative messages. Notifications can be pushed to users without promoting a package. End users are not required to accept an update to see notifications.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to:
- Enter and push a notification
- Click a package’s Notifications tab.
- Click to add a new notification. Enter a notification title and message, and click OK. To delete a notification, select it in the list, and click .
Note: Your notification message can include hyperlinks. A hyperlink is delimited by an anchor tag,
</a>. You can format a hyperlink in two ways:
Adding a new notification
- Enter or select a date range to which the notification applies using the Show After and Valid Until fields.
- On the Details tab, you can include a custom image that appears on the notification. Otherwise, the default SDC logo is used. Specify a URL that links to more information, if necessary. Select the severity of the notification, either Critical, Warning, or Informative.
Enter comma-separated tags that can be used for filtering notifications in the MyEclipse product. If you use notifications heavily and want to allow end users to filter the notifications they receive, create your own Eclipse preference page plugin that allows your users to choose the categories of notifications they prefer. Your preference page and the tags you set on the Notifications tab are private to your own SDC deployment. The Preference page will set the workspace preference to control what is displayed, and then SDC reads those settings and applies the filters to notifications. To implement, create a preference plugin with the ID
com.genuitec.pulse.delivery.notifications.tags.exclude. In SDC, add the plugin as third-party software, and add to the packages you want to include the Preferences page.
- On the Visibility tab, select a display interval for multiple displays of the notification, either once daily or once weekly. You can also specify the maximum number of times to display the message. Select the Delay Display checkbox to delay the notification until the first background update check occurs. Also, specify if the notification should display once per workspace or only once per install.
- To preview the notification popup users will see, select a notification, and click .
- If you want to push new notifications to users without promoting, commit the package, and then click the Push Notifications to Users Now link on the Notifications tab. Using the live push to users, other package changes are not pushed to users, only the notification is pushed. If you use the promote method instead, users receive a package update of all changes in addition to the notification.