If you have spent time time setting up your workspace, it is now possible to share and distribute it instead of having to help each team member to configure their own. In this tutorial you will learn to:
- Create or edit Environmental Policy and enable ‘Share Workspace Editor’ option.
- Create the file to be shared.
- Navigate the shared file.
- Share the file.
Enable Workspace Sharing
Create or edit an Environmental Policy and enable ‘Share Workspace Editor’ option.
Creating an environmental policy
Once enabled, build a package, using the environmental policy with the Share option enabled, and install it.
Preparing for Sharing
Create the file to be shared. To start, first a .setup file needs to be created. This file will contain all preferences, perspectives, working sets, repositories and projects to share.
In order to create the .setup file:
- Select File>New>Other…
- Select SDC Setup Task>New Setup File.
A new editor will be opened to start configuring the file. The Editor contains four tab options: Overview, Workbench, Source Code, Advanced.
Creating a new setup file
Navigating the Setup File
- Select your preferences on the Overview tab.
Setup file Overview tab
This tab provides a brief summary of what is being configured to be shared, like the number of preferences, repositories, etc. It also shows the capture mode. Here you can determine how the configuration tasks can be created: by selecting them from preference pages, catching values changed, importing repositories, projects, etc.
- Select your preferences on the Workbench tab.
Setup file Workbench tab
Preferences can be added either by:
• Pages opened—Select ‘+’, and Preferences dialog will be opened. The settings for the opened preferences pages will be added.
• As they change—Select ‘+’, and Preferences dialog will be opened. The settings changed on the opened preferences page will be added.
• Explore All Preferences—All preferences will be available for selection.
• Import from Oomph context—Import preferences from Oomph user context.
• Import from EPF file—Import preferences from an .epf file.
How to create .epf file.
Change any preference in your running Eclipse.
To export a preference file:
• Select File>Export.
• In the Export wizard, select General>Preferences and click Next.
• Click Export All to add all of the preferences to the file.
• If you want to export only a few preferences, choose them from the list.
• Click Browse and locate the preferences file in the file system.
• Click Finish.
- Select your preferences on the Source Code tab.
Setup file Source Code tab
Select repositories, projects and working sets to share.
Repositories—A repository can be cloned and/or added to the ‘Git Repositories View’. It can then be selected either in this view or in the ‘Configure Repositories’ section.
Projects—A project can be selected in the ‘Package Explorer’ view or in the ‘Projects’ section.
Working sets—A working set can only be selected from the ‘Working Sets’ section.
- Select your preferences on the Advanced tab.
This is for advanced/experienced users only, to allow them to edit the configuration tasks. All SDC tasks on the .setup file will be listed under the ‘Master’ project folder.
Setup file Advanced tab
Sharing the File
Once the .setup file has been set and saved, the steps to share are as follows:
- Create a new package on the Admin Console
- On the Configuration tab in the Workspace Configuration, add a task and select the .setup file to share.
- Build the package and install it.
- Oomph agent will run and prompt for some values for variables to be set. Fill them in and finish the wizard.
- Oomph will execute the configurations from the .setup file, and the workspace will have the shared configuration.