facebook

10.1 upgrade runs out of memory building workspace

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Brian Fernandes

Ed,

1) The validation exclusion settings are stored in the the .settings/com.genuitec.eclipse.core.prefs file in your project. As long as this file is being shared, the exclusion will be saved.

2) I would like to further examine the validation problem
    a) If it is falsely reported error, we must correct the validation.
    b) If the regular turning off of the validators worked in 8.6, it should certainly work in 10.1 – could you please send us this file or a smaller snippet of it which reproduces exactly the same problem? That will allow us to determine exactly which validator is at fault here.

Thanks.

#326749 Reply

mongonv
    Participant

Hey Brian,
    Attached is the html file that gets the error in 10.1 but not in 8.6 with the same validation settings. It is a generated file from a help system we use, so not something we want even evaluated and is why we had turned off the validation in 8.6.

Thanks,
    Ed

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #326751 Reply

mongonv
    Participant

Hey Brian,
    Wanted to let you know that I ran into another out of memory situation this morning with 10.1 on 32 bit with 1280M of memory allocated.

I was running the application in the Tomcat integrated server and it crashed the Tomcat with an out of memory error and unfortunately I did not screen shot the message. I tried rerunning the tomcat in “debug as” mode but it kept crashing. I opened it in 8.6 did a clean on the project and ran tomcat with no issues. Went back to 10.1 and it then ran again.

I have not gotten the issue to happen again, but when I do I will post more info on the problem.

The major issue for us is that it seems that 10.1 seems to not be a really stable platform compared to 8.6. If we deploy our app to our clients and they purchase ME licenses, can they get the 8.6 install to do instead of the 10.1?

Thanks,
    Ed

#326840 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Ed,

1) Thanks for the file. The error is actually being reported by the JavaScript validator so none of the validators you turned off would have an effect.You need to turn off the Client-side JavaScript Validator on the JS validation page and that will prevent the error message from being shown, without having to use the exclude settings.

The difference in the validator that you had to turn off is because of the change in our JS backend.

2) The memory issue with integrated Tomcat, I would put down as a glitch or a function of the current state of your system. We have not changed this integrated version since 7.5 at least. The same Tomcat version and the same implementation powers both 8.6 and 10.5 and all we do really is launch Tomcat. The fact that Tomcat itself ran out of memory could be a temporary condition based on your system state.

3) 10.x vs 8.6.
    Most of your bad experiences with 10.1 were caused by the fact that you were using the 64-bit install which did require more memory by nature of it being 64-bit. With #1 – above, you should be able to achieve the same sort of validation exclusion behavior that you already had in 8.6 and I’m quite sure #2 was a function of your system state rather than a problem with MyEclipse 10.

I would recommend 10.x for the following reasons:

a) Most of our customers have reported that 10.x is one of the best MyEclipse releases available in both performance, features and stability. Also there are literally several hundreds of bug fixes in 10 that are not a part of 8.6.

b) 10.x will be supported for another year from now. Any problems you have can be addressed with maintenance releases of the 10.x stream. 8.6 will receive no fixes.

c) 10.5 is due in a couple of weeks, adding another score of fixes and features to the 10.x stream. Something you might find interesting is improved memory monitoring (the monitor in 8.6 and 10.1 may report a critical memory condition when there might actually not be one).

Of course, if you still want to stick with 8.6, we can certainly provide links to our 8.6 installers.

#326844 Reply

mongonv
    Participant

Hey Brian,
    Thanks for all your input and information.

On the JS validator, I am not able to find the client side shutoff you referred to, can you provide a path in the setting to that?

On the 10.1 issues, after I that posted on the tomcat crash I had two more instances of 10.1 running out of memory on web service builds with the 32 bit version and 1280M of memory.

I have spent a significant amount of time this week trying to get a stable configuration of 10.1 and if that happened to the admins/devs in our initial client site installations it could seriously jeopardize our credibility with our clients. So right now I have two choices: stick with 8.6 which has had not memory issues even with only 1024M of memory allocated or see if with enough memory allocated the 64 bit version is stable.

So until it either proves good or bad I am testing the 10.1 with 6 gig of memory allocated to see if it works in all aspects of our development/deployment process.

I will post back when I am reasonably sure one way or the other, to provide more info for those that may be having similar issues.

Again, thanks for all your time,
    Ed

#326846 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Ed,

I’ve attached a screenshot of the validation setting – it’s a page you should already be familiar with as you turned off the other validators there.

As far as running out of memory is concerned did you try to continue even after the warning? Do you remember if you were warned about survivor space or was it the “Old Gen” again? The improved memory monitor in 10.5 could help in this case.

I do understand your concerns completely and appreciate the time you have taken trying to stay with 10.1. Whatever your choice, we will try to support you as best we can. I look forward to further feedback. Note: If you are interested, I could make a pre-release version of 10.5 available to you for testing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #326847 Reply

mongonv
    Participant

Hey Bryan,
    Thanks for the screen, was just looking in the wrong spots 🙂

I did not notice the fail type in the 32 bit when it crashed and have uninstalled it already.

On the 10.1, I am going to see if working with more than enough memory keeps 10.1 64 bit stable. If it works fine with enough memory, I can at least give the client admins/devs the choice of 8.6 32 bit or 10.1 64 bit with enough memory.

I will wait for the official 10.5, but appreciate the offer.

Have a great week,
    Ed

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: 10.1 upgrade runs out of memory building workspace

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in