facebook

A generic Application Server

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Erik Reuter

I would like to have a “Generic App Server” available among the normal ones. With this generic one, I would be able to point to a directory and “deploy” EAR files to that directory, much in the way I can do with the JBoss plugin, but with the added freedom of me deciding where to place the modules.

This actually stems from me missing a feature with the JBoss plugin to decide where to deploy the EARs (aside from the standard deploy folder, which contains plenty stuff already). This generic one would enable me to collect all the modules I develop in one location, so that I have an easy way of copying these to remote servers (like test, qa and production servers).

This is not the same as an “Export EAR” option in file->export would accomplish, as the “export” would actually be automatic using the generic server and not done manually (read somewhere you’re working on the “Export EAR” function).

Sounds viable? I would love this feature!

#200220 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

If I understand correctly, you really don’t want a new server connector. It seems that you’re asking for an enhancement to the deployer so that in addition to deploying to one of your configured servers, as it does today, it has an additional option that simply lets you point to any folder on the filesystem. Once you’ve set up this custom location, your projects would be synchronized to that folder, just as it would be to any of our configured servers. The folder may or may not be part of some sort of customized server configuration.

Is that correctly stated?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200229 Reply

Erik Reuter

Hi Scott

Yep, that would work nicely. As you’re hinting it doesn’t have to be an implementation of yet another appserver in MyEclipse, but if the deployer could do this somehow, alongside normal deployment to the configured servers it would be great.

Maybe that could help in some other areas as well, such as giving ppl an opportunity to utilize servers that are not yet an integral part of MyEclipse and speed development for them (not the problem Iøm trying to solve, just a thought).

Of course, I would expect to be able to deploy both exploded and packaged modules.

Regards
    Erik Reuter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: A generic Application Server

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in