facebook

Can’t launch executable. Could not load jvm.dll

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

garyashley3

Trying to review the trial code for 2.6.4, I’ve tried running the dowloaded executable and receive the message in the subject line.

I am using Windows 2000 and JRE 1.4.2_01. I tried setting the LAX_VM variable to my JRE location, as per a similar post for problems in 2.6.3.

Is this a different issue? Please provide some MyEclipse for Dummies instructions on how I might be able to test your product.

Thanks.

PS.

Specifically, I’ve tried setting the system variable (Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables, add System Variable) LAX_VM=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01 (tried \bin and \lib as well).

#199938 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Gary,

Specifically, I’ve tried setting the system variable (Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables, add System Variable) LAX_VM=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01 (tried \bin and \lib as well).

LAX_VM needs to point specifically to javaw.exe, so it should be:

LAX_VM=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\javaw.exe

That should get you going. Sorry for the confusion.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200546 Reply

garyashley

Thanks Scott. Wow, what a quick reply so sorry for the delayed response.

Well, I’ve tried setting that System Variable as per your instructions (I even tried point to the SDK part of the install, and neither works for me). I even rebooted Windows, but no luck. I get the same error message about the jvm.dll which I can find on my system.

I just paid the 30 bucks for the yearly subscription, and simple wish to install this. Maybe you have another option for me to try? With over a month time passing maybe Zero G fixed the bug yet to work with my JRE version 1.4.2_01?

#200553 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Gary,

That’s really strange that this didn’t work. We’ve run down this problem before in this thread: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/problew-while-installing-the-workbench/&highlight=jvm+dll and it was definately that InstallAnywhere was picking a horribly old JVM for the installation. However, this thread https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/can-t-install-closed/&highlight=jvm+dll sounds a little more like your paticular case. Can you test what worked for this user?

If that doesn’t work, then can you run the installer with LAX_DEBUG=1 set in the environment and then post the full output here? That will let us diagnose what’s up.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#205351 Reply

Scott was nice enough to email me what is essentially posted as the solution to this problem here on this forum. Except it did not work. I tried my j2sdk1.4.2_04\bin\javaw.exe and the j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\bin\javaw.exe. No difference.
    What is frutrating about this is that I installed the previous verion of the workbench with no problem several months ago. And now that installer is having the same problem when I tried to use it as the new EnterpriseWorkbenchInstaller_030700.exe! I just installed the latest version of Eclipse, eclipse-SDK-3.0M7-win32.zip – this is the only new thing in the mix I can suspect.

#205353 Reply

I was just looking at the output running the install command from a dos command prompt. The output from installAnywhere says it finds all kinds of jvms. At the end it says : “Searching for gui vm. ;lax.nl.valid.vm.list= J2. lax.nl.current.vm=. was not a valid Win32 executable. c:\j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin\java.exe does not match J2 or it is a console app and I need a GUI one. SUCCESS! C:\J2SDK1.4.2_04/bin\javaw.exe. Using *JNI INVOCATON* to simulate the following batch script …. blah, blah, blah ….
    executing java … Then the message box pops up about not finding a jvm.dll …

I don’t know if this helps or is irrelevant as I am running from a DOS prompt …

#205355 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What is frutrating about this is that I installed the previous verion of the workbench with no problem several months ago.

And then you “upgraded” your JDK to a 1.4.2 beta in the interim, right? 🙂

If you follow the other post I referred you to and set the LAX_VM variable to a JDK 1.4.1 or 1.3.1 executable, the installer will run fine. There’s an incompatibility between Install Anywhere and the new 1.4.2 JDK’s. Another option is to use our ‘manual install’ download zip file. The instructions on how to install are contained within it. It’s really pretty simple.

#205356 Reply

Scott,
    I never install a beta j2sdk on my machine. A j2sdk1.4.2 should be backward compatible with a j2sdk1.4.1.
    This is what your post abpve has : “LAX_VM needs to point specifically to javaw.exe, so it should be: LAX_VM=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\javaw.exe
    That should get you going. Sorry for the confusion.”
    I will try the same thing. I still do not know why I need this LAX_VM variable – never neded it before today ….

#205357 Reply

Well … This is pretty much putting my day in the toilet … Here are my settings : JAVA_HOME=C:\J2SDK1.4.2_01. LAX_VM=%JAVA_HOME%\bin\javaw.exe. This is your suggestion : LAX_VM=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\javaw.exe. They appear to be the same piece of software. But my installation still give me the no jvm.dll error … I also tried LAX_VM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\javaw.exe … I have restarted my PC each time.

#205362 Reply

I went back to installing J2sdk1.4.1_02 on my machine, which I have not used in months. and luckily did not delete the install file from my PC. I once again set this LAX_VM thing to
    c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin\javaw.exe … And well, … guess what little message I received from the InstallAnywhere EnterpriseWorkbenchInstaller_030700.exe. You got it : that jvm.dll can’t be found. So, It must just be me or something on my machine. Maybe you could give me a clue as to where I chould look ….

#205378 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

On rare occasions we hit a case where the installer just doesn’t work as advertised. A quick workaround you may wish to try is a manual installation of MyEclipse. To do so visit the website’s download section and pull the latest release (a zip). Its a pretty simple installation process.

In the meantime we’ll see what we can turn up on this issue.

#227945 Reply

lucatd

Had the same problem.
    Solved changin the Environment Variable PATH.

WRONG Environment Variable PATH:

….;%JAVA_HOME%/bin;……

WRONG Environment Variable PATH:
    ….;%JAVA_HOME%\bin;……

Changed the slash before “bin” with a backslash…

Bye all

#229823 Reply

ganku

Thanks. That was it. The path had ‘\’ (%JAVA_HOME%/bin). I changed it to ‘/’ and it worked.
    Thanks

#257899 Reply

I can report that changing the path entry to %JAVA_HOME%\bin, solved the problem also in my case.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Can’t launch executable. Could not load jvm.dll

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in