facebook

Can’t Start Debugger

1. GapDebug
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help – GapDebug
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

twosouth
    Participant

I have an iPad air running iOS 8.0.2.

My app has been built with a developer provisioning profile and is using Sencha Touch 2.01 and Cordova 3.6.3

My version of Chrome is Version 38.0.2125.111

the app shows as installed in the Devices & Apps list

When I start the app, the app takes off but nothing happens on the debugger. It’s as if the debugger doesn’t actually see the app once it starts.

I’ve read through the docs for the past while and I can’t see where I’ve missed an instruction.

Any ideas?

I would love to get this to work.

Thanks!
    Scott

#352456 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Hi Scott,

1) does your device appear in the GapDebug UI?

2) if yes, did you install the app on your ipad air using GapDebug?

3) if yes, after the app is started please try unplugging and replugging in your device’s usb connection (bounce the connection). Did anything change?

4) What OS are your running (mavricks, yosemite ?)?

4a) if you have yosemite, did you have gapdebug installed when upgrading to yosemite?
    – I’m curious if an upgrade could have goofed up something.

5) if all of the above appear legit please send us your log file. It can be found at <user home>\.gapdebug\runtime\.metadata\.log file these dot prefixed dirs and files may be hidden on your mac. You may have to enable viewing hidden files like these.

#352460 Reply

twosouth
    Participant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

1) does your device appear in the GapDebug UI? Yes it does appear in the GUI

2) if yes, did you install the app on your ipad air using GapDebug?Yes I did

3) if yes, after the app is started please try unplugging and replugging in your device’s usb connection (bounce the connection). Did anything change?If I unplug the connection, the device and the app disappear, when I plug it back in, on the devie is there, not the app.

4) What OS are your running (mavricks, yosemite ?)? Mavericks

4a) if you have yosemite, did you have gapdebug installed when upgrading to yosemite?
    – I’m curious if an upgrade could have goofed up something.

5) if all of the above appear legit please send us your log file. It can be found at <user home>\.gapdebug\runtime\.metadata\.log file these dot prefixed dirs and files may be hidden on your mac. You may have to enable viewing hidden files like these.I can send the log file. See below for a link

Here is a link to a zip file containing a screenshot and the aforementioned .log file http://tinyurl.com/oy35zv8

#352493 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Scott,

I reviewed this topic with our gapdebug developers. The first thought is that your app is not being signed with a developer cert and profile. When you have a few mins you can check this by:
    1) in the GapDebug UI open the Settings and enable the “Debug browser pages” setting (see screenshot below)
    2) connect your ios device
    3) launch safari to any web page
    4) launch your app
    – you should be able to see both the safari web page(s)
    – you should also see your app listed under the connected ios device if it is signed with a dev cert/profile

See attachment gdsetting.png
    See attachment testiosapp.png

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #352495 Reply

twosouth
    Participant

Thanks a ton! That was part of the problem (which I discovered this weekend).

Also I was looking for the app icon on the dock of my mac but found it on the top bar.

It’s working and is a great tool!!

Thanks for all of your help!

Scott

#352498 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

>It’s working and is a great tool!!

sweet! Please help us spread the word about gapdebug (e.g., tweet @GapDebug). We have more cool features in development that we will share details soon.

#353807 Reply

MalakSadik
    Participant

im facing almost the same problem @support-michael wrote:

Hi

1) does your device appear in the GapDebug UI? yes

2) if yes, did you install the app on your ipad air using GapDebug? cannot install

4) What OS are your running (mavricks, yosemite ?)? windows 8

5) if all of the above appear legit please send us your log file. It can be found at <user home>\.gapdebug\runtime\.metadata\.log file these dot prefixed dirs and files may be hidden on your mac. You may have to enable viewing hidden files like these.

this is the last few line

!ENTRY com.genuitec.powderhorn.eclipse.deviceconnector 1 0 2015-02-26 02:26:55.415
    !MESSAGE onDeviceAdded Cute Angel’s iPhone6 {19}

!ENTRY com.genuitec.powderhorn.eclipse.deviceconnector 1 0 2015-02-26 03:11:12.987
    !MESSAGE onWebUIClosed

!ENTRY com.genuitec.powderhorn.eclipse.deviceconnector 1 0 2015-02-26 03:11:15.312
    !MESSAGE curVer: 15.1.1  prevVer: 15.1.1

!ENTRY com.genuitec.powderhorn.eclipse.deviceconnector 1 0 2015-02-26 03:11:15.313
    !MESSAGE onWebUIOpened

ps. I cant see safari on gapdebug UI while I checked web browsing from the settings

#353814 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

@angelsprincess1

Is Safari webkit inspector setting enabled?
    This is required to remotely debug Safari webapps in addition to hybrid apps.

#353826 Reply

MalakSadik
    Participant

Yes from my iphone i turned on web inspector. Any thing else i need to do? This only heppens on my new iphone 6. I already added the device and updated the provisioning profiles and even created new ones. The build was successful but the app is not installed through gapdebug!

#353834 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

@angelsprincess1

One thought is that possibly you failed to approve the “Trust this device…” dialog that appears when you first connect your ios device via usb cable to machine with GapDebug running. This dialog is a security measure that you should occasionally see. The dialog will only appears for about 1 minute and will then close automatically. So you have to be watching for it.
    Try: disconnect your device, stop and then start GapDebug, reconnect your device. Watch on the device for a dialog asking if you trust the connection and answer yes.

Another thing to try is using itunes for installing your device. Doing this will allow you to isolate the problem to either a GapDebug issue or an issue with you app.

#353837 Reply

MalakSadik
    Participant

The first time i connected the iphone, i chose to trust the device. The iphone appears on itunes and i already installed the app on my old iphone5 without any problem.

#353857 Reply

MalakSadik
    Participant

Any other suggestions?

#353858 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I reread your previous info.
    To confirm you are trying to debug safari web pages, not a cordova/phonegap app, right?
    If yes, then do then enable this setting in GapDebug as shown below.
    1) click Settings in device panel
    2) enable Debug browser pages
    3) click the Device & Apps
    4) connect your iphone and open safari to webpage
    See attachment enable-webbrowser-debugging.png

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #353866 Reply

MalakSadik
    Participant

Actually I’m trying to install an app built using myeclipse phonegap build. I can see the iphone in gapdebug UI but neither the app is installed nor Safari is shown for debugging.
    P.s I already enabled debug browser pages

#353870 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

@angelsprincess1

Here is my thought and action process if I were able to hold your machine in my hand and attempting to debug an ios cordova/phonegap app:

0) I reviewed your earlier posts and can get some of this info but I would rather start over from scratch. Please share exact details of the device you attempting to install on. Is it an iphone 6, 6 plus, 5, 5s, 4s,…, ipad1,2 3, air, air2?
    Include the exact version of iOS on the device.

1) you mentioned that you are able to view the ios device in the GapDebug panel. This is good. The GapDebug device connector is working properly.

2) next on the ios device verify that you have enabled “webkit inspector” setting on the Settings>Safari>Advanced page. This setting is required for GapDebug to be able to view your app or any safari web page.

3) Now you should be able to install your app. Either use the file browser or drag-n-drop your ios app on the ios device you wish to install the app on. In the GapDebug device panel you should see the install process startup and some progress info presented.

If you get an error take a screenshot and post it.

The most common reason for an ios app to fail to install is that it was built with the wrong provision profile.
    For remote debugging to be enabled your ios app must be built with a developer provision profile. And this profile MUST include the device’s UDID. Most often this is where developers mess up.

4) If #3 app installation fails then try using iTunes to install the app.
    You will need to give this a go to take GapDebug out of the loop. If the app installs via itunes then there is a GapDebug error; otherwise the error resides with the app.
    If you are unfamiliar with using itunes for app installation see the 1st answer on this thread http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26720764/install-ipa-with-itunes-12

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Can’t Start Debugger

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in