facebook

Stuck on “Waiting for Copilot4Eclpse initialization” [Resolved]

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

flxx
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I have installed the newest version of Copilot4Eclipse in Eclipse 2023-09. Unfortunately, regardless if i install from the genuitec – website or from eclipse Marketplace, the Status keeps getting stuck on “waiting for initialization”.

When accessing the Copilot Session Status it shows: “Error: Timeout while checking Copilot staus. Copilot Version: 1.138.0”

Quick help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by flxx.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by wayne.
    #699430 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.
    Are you behind a corporate firewall or proxy?
    Can you please share with us the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log (rename the extension to .txt and attach it here) to help us check for any errors logged?
    Also share a screenshot of the CoPilot menu in the IDE to help us get a visual of the options you are seeing in that menu.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#699440 Reply

Philipp25
    Participant

I’m encountering the same error. As I’m operating behind a corporate proxy, I’m wondering what steps I, or our IT administrators, need to take to successfully run the plugin. To my knowledge, our network shouldn’t be blocking any sites related to Copilot. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Philipp25.
    #699442 Reply

wayne

Thx for sharing this connection issue and the bit about operating behind a corp proxy.

Can you try a quick experiment as outlined in my post below to see if it resolves the connection issue:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/cannot-get-any-suggestion/#post-699072
    Please share your results.
    Wayne

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by wayne.
    #699494 Reply

kenmc411
    Participant

I’m getting the same error with Eclipse 2023-12 (Windows 11) and I’m behind a corporate firewall. I tried a number of different proxy settings and a direct connection to the Internet (bypassing the proxy). I was able to connect once, but not again on dozens of attempts. I ran Eclipse in debug mode and dumped the output to a console Window. Besides the forever repeating “Timeout while checking Copilot status”, I did notice the attached error, which preceded the other errors. Maybe it is of some value or importance.

Also, FWIW, I do have Copilot (Enterprise) working in IntelliJ. The one time Copilot4Eclipse did work, it looks to have automatically have connected to my existing account, as I was not prompted for my credentials but was logged in per Copilot4Eclipse .

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by kenmc411.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #699506 Reply

MikkoP
    Participant

Hi
    I’m having the same situation – the Copilot on Eclipse is stuck on Waiting for initialization.
    When I look into log file I have found the probable reason for failure but I have no glue what
    it means and how to fix it. It is some problem with the language server?
    My Eclipse is Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java and Web Developers (includes Incubating components)
    Version: 2023-12 (4.30.0) Build id: 20231201-2043. It is run on Ubuntu Linux.

!MESSAGE Cannot invoke “org.eclipse.lsp4j.jsonrpc.messages.ResponseError.getMessage()” because “<parameter1>” is null
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke “org.eclipse.lsp4j.jsonrpc.messages.ResponseError.getMessage()” because “<parameter1>” is null
    at com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.Copilot4EclipsePlugin.log(Unknown Source)

This may not be even the actual cause for the failure.
    I’ll include the eclipse log file as an attachment for reference on some other issue in the configuration as well.

I would appreciate any help.
    Best Regards
    Mikko

Attachments:
    #699510 Reply

wayne

@mikkop @kenmc411 thanks for sharing these details. In the cases I’ve been able to test so far they are predominantly http proxy related. We are working now to improve the network configuration of Copilot4Eclipse.

Questions:
    1) Are manual proxy settings configured in Eclipse?
    1a) If yes can you share a screenshot, email to info@genuitec.com attention Wayne. ALso please try 1b below.
    1b) If no please try this quick experiment of specifying the proxy settings in an HTTPS_PROXY environment variable and restarting Eclipse. You can find more info on the environment variable setting in the following doc. See this doc on configuring Copilot in IntelliJ. Copilot4Eclipse parallels the IJ implementation. https://docs.github.com/en/copilot/configuring-github-copilot/configuring-network-settings-for-github-copilot?tool=jetbrains#introduction
    Note this statement in the doc: If the proxy URL starts https://, the proxy is not currently supported.

#699527 Reply

MikkoP
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

thank you for your answer. I have now tried configuring proxy settings for Eclipse bot manually and via environment,
    using your advice above, but have got no luck so far. One particular question have arisen: are there any specific ports
    that needs to be opened for copilot? Normally for my test environment and test efforts I have opened ports 80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS.

with regards, Mikko

#699568 Reply

osmutny
    Participant

Hello,

I’m facing similar troubles as the ones raised above, but I don’t find the reason why only the plugin is not respecting the proxy setup.

Bit of context: I’m behind the corporate proxy ( kerberos authentication ), off the VPN/Proxy plugin works.

copilot plugin systematically ends with timeout while I’m on VPN and our corporate proxy.
    What is strange is the fact that all update services in Eclipse and Marketplace are working fine ( see attached network example ) except the plugin, even yours, genuitec updated site is reached ok from Eclipse, but still the plugin doesn’t seem to respect the proxy setup of Eclipse.

If it reading any other variables, like JVM environment variables or others ? ( my system variables are pointing to same proxy as Eclipse setup)

Error log from the plugin doesn’t say anything else then : timeout 🙁

Thank you
    Regards, Ondrej

Attachments:
    #699572 Reply

Philipp25
    Participant

After experimenting with multiple proxy configurations, I still encountered the persistent ‘waiting for initialization to complete’ error. It appears that no proxy is activated through any of the standard environment variables (HTTPS_PROXY, https_proxy, HTTP_PROXY, http_proxy).

Additionally, I attempted using different Eclipse installations, including the latest version of MyEclipse, but this resulted in no change.

Interestingly, Copilot functions correctly on Visual Studio Code installed on the same machine, indicating that the VSCode plugin operates differently in some aspects.

Help in that regard would really be appreciated!

My log looks like this, but I can’t get any hint out of it:

[2024-01-04T16:14:29.778528594+01:00] LSP4E_TO_LANGUAGE_SERVER com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.copilot:
    Content-Length: 1828

[2024-01-04T16:14:29.784389672+01:00] LSP4E_TO_LANGUAGE_SERVER com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.copilot:
    {“jsonrpc”:”2.0″,”id”:”1″,”method”:”initialize”,”params”:{“processId”:1306,”rootUri”:null,”capabilities”:{“workspace”:{“applyEdit”:true,”workspaceEdit”:{“documentChanges”:true,”resourceOperations”:[“create”,”delete”,”rename”],”failureHandling”:”undo”},”symbol”:{“dynamicRegistration”:true},”executeCommand”:{“dynamicRegistration”:true},”workspaceFolders”:true,”configuration”:true},”textDocument”:{“synchronization”:{“willSave”:true,”willSaveWaitUntil”:true,”didSave”:true},”completion”:{“completionItem”:{“snippetSupport”:true,”documentationFormat”:[“markdown”,”plaintext”],”resolveSupport”:{“properties”:[“documentation”,”detail”,”additionalTextEdits”]},”insertTextModeSupport”:{“valueSet”:[1,2]}}},”hover”:{“contentFormat”:[“markdown”,”plaintext”]},”signatureHelp”:{},”references”:{},”documentHighlight”:{},”documentSymbol”:{“symbolKind”:{“valueSet”:[18,17,5,14,9,10,22,24,8,1,12,11,20,6,2,3,21,16,19,25,4,7,15,23,26,13]},”hierarchicalDocumentSymbolSupport”:true},”formatting”:{“dynamicRegistration”:true},”rangeFormatting”:{},”definition”:{“linkSupport”:true},”typeDefinition”:{“linkSupport”:true},”codeAction”:{“codeActionLiteralSupport”:{“codeActionKind”:{“valueSet”:[“quickfix”,”refactor”,”refactor.extract”,”refactor.inline”,”refactor.rewrite”,”source”,”source.organizeImports”]}},”dataSupport”:true,”resolveSupport”:{“properties”:[“edit”]},”dynamicRegistration”:true},”codeLens”:{},”documentLink”:{},”colorProvider”:{},”rename”:{“prepareSupport”:true},”foldingRange”:{},”inlayHint”:{}},”window”:{“workDoneProgress”:true,”showMessage”:{},”showDocument”:{“support”:true}}},”clientInfo”:{“name”:”MyEclipse”,”version”:”0.16.0.me202306131228″},”trace”:”off”,”workspaceFolders”:[{“uri”:”file:///home/phkurrle/Downloads/testws2/Servers”,”name”:”Servers”},{“uri”:”file:///home/phkurrle/Downloads/testws2/test”,”name”:”test”}]}}

[2024-01-04T16:14:29.787072178+01:00] LSP4E_TO_LANGUAGE_SERVER com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.copilot:
    Content-Length: 60

[2024-01-04T16:14:29.787113750+01:00] LSP4E_TO_LANGUAGE_SERVER com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.copilot:
    {“jsonrpc”:”2.0″,”id”:”2″,”method”:”shutdown”,”params”:null}

[2024-01-04T16:14:29.788452856+01:00] LSP4E_TO_LANGUAGE_SERVER com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.copilot:
    Content-Length: 47

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Philipp25.
    #699596 Reply

zbedell
    Participant

I wanted to add some additional details on this which might be helpful. My environment is Eclipse 2023-06 on macOS Sonoma FWIW. I’m behind a corporate firewall with proxy. Our proxy supports NTLM authentication only which causes no end of trouble, so it’s standard practice to run cntlm (or some equivalent) locally on each machine. The effective proxy server is localhost with no authentication, and cntlm handles authentication and forwards to the real proxy. Eclipse is configured to use localhost as proxy, and Marketplace/etc. all work fine. Additionally, CoPilot from VSCode works fine with the same proxy situation.

What I’ve observed in trying to investigate the problem with Copilot4Eclipse is that it doesn’t look like any of the required environment variables are getting passed to the Node.js invocation for the Copilot agent. Specifically, Eclipse’s proxy settings aren’t passed along and neither are system-wide environment variables or environment set at Eclipse’s launch. I tried launching Eclipse from the command line with HTTPS_PROXY exported (IE running “export HTTPS_PROXY=http://127.0.0.1:3128 ; /Applications/Eclipse-202306.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse” from the terminal). The HTTPS_PROXY environment variable doesn’t get passed to the node invocation. I can confirm looking in Activity Monitor that the node process is trying to make direct connections to Github servers with no proxy. The invocation for the node agent looks like this in ps eww:

10009 ?? S 0:04.09 /Applications/Eclipse-202306.app/Contents/Eclipse/.node/node-v18.16.0-darwin-arm64/bin/node /Applications/Eclipse-202306.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse_1.0.0.202312142127-EA3/agent/dist/agent.js USER=me COMMAND_MODE=unix2003 __CFBundleIdentifier=epp.package.jee PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin LOGNAME=me SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.X/Listeners HOME=/Users/me SHELL=/bin/zsh TMPDIR=/var/folders/1j/X/T/ __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F6:0x0:0x0 XPC_SERVICE_NAME=application.epp.package.jee.2687414.2702748 XPC_FLAGS=0x0 JAVA_STARTED_ON_FIRST_THREAD_9979=1 APP_ICON_9979=../Resources/Eclipse.icns

It looks like the class that spawns Node to run the Copilot agent is starting up with minimal environment (Java default I think). I think it would fix this issue if the class that spawns the agent could read the Eclipse proxy settings and ensure that the HTTPS_PROXY environment is set based on Eclipse’ settings. It doesn’t look like at least on macOS (and also on other Linux PC’s we’ve tried this on) that there’s any way to get environment variables that were set when Eclipse launched to be passed into Node.

I’ve additionally tried running the node process and agent.js manually from the command line w/ HTTPS_PROXY set, and that appears to use the proxy, but of course Eclipse doesn’t have access to that process, so the plugin still doesn’t work.

#699598 Reply

wayne

@zbedell Thx for the deep inspection and suggestions. We are actively working on the network configuration now with the goal to have an update next week. I’ll share progress here asap.
    Wayne

#699606 Reply

kenmc411
    Participant

I think @zbedell probably has the best info, but … I am using an Eclipse Native proxy config and I have both HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY set in my Windows 11 environment, which is behind a corporate firewall. The env vars are pointed to our corp proxy. The proxy URL is http not https. The plugin is able to connect if I am completely disconnected from the corp vpn. Also, to my knowledge, there has been no network issues using the CoPilot plugins for other IDEs. I had assumed that maybe this particular plugin was accessing a site blocked by the corporate firewall, but the comments about node.js from @zbedell sound promising.

#699618 Reply

wayne

@zbedell @kenmc411 (and anyone else interested) would you be able to assist further by test-driving a development build of Copilot4Eclipse and share feedback? We have some updates that we expect will improve connectivity in traditional corp networks. But would like to confirm the changes will work for your environments. If yes ping me info@genuitec.com attention Wayne/Copilot4Eclipse. I’m hoping to have a new dev version of the plugin on Wed.
    Wayne

#699799 Reply

wayne

We just released the 1.0.0 version of Copilot4Eclipse that I’m hoping resolves the issues discussed on this thread.
    Details here
    Please share if the update resolves the issue you were experiencing.
    Wayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Stuck on “Waiting for Copilot4Eclpse initialization” [Resolved]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in