facebook

Corrupt Files Eclipse / Codemix

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Octagon
    Participant

Hi,
    I experience a very strange and annoying bug. Using the latest Codemix version in a custom js/ts app using webpack.
    The issue remains, as I have used different Codemix versions over the past year(s). I did actually not want to post anything here, but this kind of error is one of the most critical and annoying one I have ever experienced. You start to bang your head against the wall, because something strangely does not work in your code….
    Anyway, this is what happens. Files get corrupted. But they are not really corrupt, but in eclipse and Codemix they are, not outside the IDE. These are some issues these files then have: Doing an auto import: Nothing happens. It can not be done anymore.
    Click Import and the import will not show up on top of the file. (Maybe weird errors are now shown all over the place). The import is not done. (This is by now the way I can tell that a file is corrupt in this way.)
    Normal saving a file triggers webpack to recompile. It does, but the file is not considered changed, even if it is. So it’s not compiled. I will have to restart for the file to be compiled, only for these “corrupt” files.
    This is terrible because if you do not know, your code changes will just not work, because they are never added/compiled. But webpack shows that it did compile.

These files will never recover, they are damaged forever. (But only with eclipse and Codemix)
    I know 2 ways this has happened: Rename a File in eclipse, but only change the case of the first letter. For example MyFile.ts to myFile.ts. It’s now possible that this file is never working correctly again.
    Second, I think happens when replacing something on many files. The file opened, edited, is unsaved though. Then try to save. I get an error with something like: The content of the file is newer. Please compare your version with the files content. There is a link on the error widget: compare. That does not work, does nothing. Then the file will probably be corrupt from now on.

So my guess here is that Codemix uses some sort of permanent “cache” for files. And there then exists a “cached” old version of a file that is not the same as the one visible/edited. It would explain the error messages and behavior. And these files are confused by webpack or the editor.
    Renaming the file will not help, It stays, damaged. The only thing possible is to create a new file.

Please have a look at this case. I’ts one of the most disruptive thing I have ever had, and not a visible clear bug, which makes it very annoying.

Thank you,
    O.Hauser

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Octagon.
    #678968 Reply

support-swapna

O.Hauser,

Sorry that you are seeing these problems with CodeMix. Thank you for the detailed report. I could replicate the problem with Import.
    Unfortunately, CodeMix has already reached its end of life and no new releases or fixes will be made. MyEclipse 2021 is the alternative. See here for further details : https://www.genuitec.com/products/codemix/end-of-life-notice/

We have a free, 30-day trial for MyEclipse. If it fits your requirements, we can convert your existing CodeMix license to a MyEclipse license at no extra cost.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#678970 Reply

Octagon
    Participant

Thank you for the response, Swapna

oh, I didn’t know that and will check out the new option.
    Do you know, is there any such thing as described, an internal file cache or something like that, that eventually could be cleaned/deleted? Would help me out a lot for the ongoing development, if those files would work normally.

#679038 Reply

Brian Fernandes

There is an internal, “working copy” that Eclipse uses – but this data is never persisted and only used while the file is being actively edited.

1) Are you on Windows? If yes, I would not recommend changing the case of a file as there is somewhat mixed support for this from the OS. The change might not get correctly propagated in all cases. You should

2) If you do see an error like “contents on disk are newer” then simply restarting the IDE should normally fix this issue. Once you restart, does the editor in Eclipse display the correct file contents? If it does, I cannot explain why you would still see issues in the new session. Something you could try is to create a new workspace and import your project into that workspace – if any workspace corruption had been the cause of this problem, this should resolve it.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Corrupt Files Eclipse / Codemix

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in