facebook

customize perspective

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Richard

Ok, I worked with the others having the problem bringing up the customize perspective, and they did not have the December update. We updated them and now we all appear to have the same problem, which is the perspective toolbar items can be removed(unchecked) but not returned.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the buttons as you suggested as a work around, but that does not work in all cases. I even tried it multiple times. Still the buttons will not return in all cases. (I think one persons did work out of the 4+ PC’s I tried.)

All are now on the same jar version com.genuitec.pulse.client.delivery.package.runtime.ui.ide.e42_4.6.0.v201311131750.jar

#348140 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Richard,

Thanks, that’s some good news, at least.

Can you provide more details of which items, in which perspective for which the workaround doesn’t work? I’ve tried several items and, although the problem actually doesn’t occur for all items in all groups, when the problem does occur, the workaround has always worked.

However, there is a situation in which the workaround doesn’t appear to work. If changes are made and then an attempt is made to Reset the perspective, the reset appears not to work and the workaround also appears not to work. However, if the perspective is closed and opened after the reset, then all of the default toolbar items appear and customization can be tried again.

As this is an eclipse bug, as mentioned earlier, we may not be able to provide a fix until the eclipse team fix it.

#348152 Reply

Richard

I tried a couple of different combinations of removing and attempting to readd and see the effect you are referring to. I am hestitant to try the ones I really need/use since I am not sure if they will come back though.

I use the debug and MyEclipse perspectives, and the results are basically the same between them.
    The ones tested do not want to come back for sure are:
    MyEclipse-EJB/AJAXTools/DeployTools/Desktop/ScreenCapture
    Java Element Creation
    help

These do return:
    Search
    Debug

#348171 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Richard,

Thanks for trying out various customizations. Unfortunately, I didn’t have problems with any of the ones you listed, though I’ve seen many more issues where the previously mentioned workarounds don’t work, where reset doesn’t always work (even after restarting the perspective) and where customizations to one perspective affects other perspectives.

I’ve raised a bug on our system to track the problem, though the issues are all with the base eclipse platform, which has several customization bugs raised against it, including this general one. A fix is targeted for the next release but it’s not clear that the fix will make it.

Although it won’t be ideal, the default perspective can always be recovered by switching to a new workspace and then importing your projects. Alternatively, before customizing a perspective, backup the .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench\workbench.xmi file, in your workspace, then customize the perspective; if you need to restore, exit MyEclipse and then restore the backup file before restarting. There isn’t any documentation for the workbench.xmi file, that I’ve seen, so you won’t be able to edit it directly to do the customizations.

I hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: customize perspective

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in