facebook

cvs merge conflicts problem

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

erouse
    Participant

Sometimes, when i do a merge from a branch back to head, I get almost the entire project showing as conflicting merges. This happens primarily with unchanged .java, .jsp and .html files, ie text files. When I bring up the conflict view, the view shows the everything is in conflict, but the files are identical.

for example:

local 1.1 remote 1.1
    abc def abc def <— marked as a conflict

On a real large project where many changes have been made prior to a merge, this means we have to visually verify each and evey file in the project, which can take nours, if not days. The last time it happened, about 3 hours ago, I had only made changes to about 12 files and I knew which ones they were, so it was easy to see that the ones with the changes were handled correctly and the ones that were unchanged were the only ones showing as conflicts.

This is a becoming a real issue for us now and needs to be fixed.

And I do realize that this might be an issue with the underlying CVS software, in which case a workaround would be appreciated.

#260771 Reply

erouse ,

You can try automatically merging with Team > Update (from Package Explorer, not from the Synhronize view).
    This should solve most conflicts (except if your CVS server is broken).
    The real conflicts won’t be changed.

Snjeza

#260825 Reply

erouse
    Participant

Doesn’t Update overwrite Conflicting files? If I have made new development fixes in Head and am trying to merge bug fixes from a branch, I don’t want to replace the head changes with old code. I want to merge the bug fixes into Head. Will Update do this?

#260827 Reply

Update doesn’t overwrite conflicting files.
    You can overwrite conflicting files using ‘Overide and Update’, but ordinary Update won’t do it.

Snjeza

#260867 Reply

erouse
    Participant

I tried this and it did not get any of the files that were changed in the branch.

I did the Update first, got the no changes message. I then ran the Merge process and got all of the changes. I didn’t get all of the conflicts this time though, so I wonder if it only happens on the first merge attempt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: cvs merge conflicts problem

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in