facebook

Database Explorer enhancements

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

support-jeff

Just an update for all concerned, Binyan’s item #6 (schema selection) has now been implemented and will be in 3.8.2 coming out shortly. Also, other performance enhancements have been perpetrated…like not loading the metadata of every table in a schema before you even look at them. Now it lazy loads. If performance continues to be a concern after these enhancements, backgrounding of the processes will be looked into (this is a much bigger, structural/design change for the plugin)

#215558 Reply

arjan.tijms

Sounds great! 🙂

When can we expect to see those changes donated back to the open source version?

#216709 Reply

augustientje

That would be useless at the moment. AFAIK there’s nobody maintaining any open source version right now. By the GPL, they are obligated to give the changes back, but there’s really nobody to give it back to at this moment.

#216884 Reply

henk

A small detail perhaps, but SQLExplorer is LGPL, not GPL.

I also think that the sqlexplorer ‘maintainers’ only did the porting to Eclipse 3.0 and are not really interested in improving the code base any further, but perhaps they are working behind the scenes on something?

#216957 Reply

support-jeff

There certainly has been no CVS activity on the project site for many moons.

#216969 Reply

snpe

no cvs activity, no mail list activity, they not receive patches, it is dead

regards

#217159 Reply

henk

They don’t react on emails either.

I believe that Genuitech stated earlier that they had some sort of agreement with the developpers of sqlexplorer, there was even a post where they said there was some payment involved.

I always thought that the sqlexplorer guys got too much credit for their efforts. Was the port really that much work? Maybe it was, and then I’ll take my words back, but as far as I can see it wasn’t that much work.

The JFaceDbc code base is a big organisational mess right now. There is

1) The commercial version; the continued development of the last open-source LGPL version. This one seems to be active.

2) The LGPL 2.2.1 version on sourceforge which is not maintained anymore by anyone.

3) The 2.2.1 branch called sqlexplorer that basically changed all class and package names from jfacedbc to sqlexplorer and removed some Eclipse 3.0 incompatibilities. Nothing more seems to happen, but who knows?

4) A closed source version based on the sqlexplorer branch by genuitech. Until now mainly consists of ‘deep intergration changes’ but will incorporate general improvements too. (right?)

Now how is this all going to add up?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Database Explorer enhancements

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in