facebook

Display problem on 64-bit VM w/ Quadro gfx

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: Windows Xp x64
    Eclipse version: 3.1
    Eclipse build id: I20050627-1435
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): y
    MyEclipse version: 3.9.310 – 20050808-4.0-Milestone-3
    Eclipse JDK version: 1.5.0_04
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? Did not find a log file.

– Message Body ——————————-
    If I go into the preferences menu for build path, it works only on first access.
    If I later enter the same menu, nothing is shown under build path.

The same applies for compiler/errors & warnings.

#235688 Reply

Riyad Kalla

keb,
    I’m not following what you are saying. If you do Project > Properties, and then Java Build Path, everything is kosher. Then if you close that dialog, and open it again, the right hand panel is totally blank?

Your log file is located at <workspace dir>\.metadata\.log

#235744 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

keb,
    I’m not following what you are saying. If you do Project > Properties, and then Java Build Path, everything is kosher. Then if you close that dialog, and open it again, the right hand panel is totally blank?

Your log file is located at <workspace dir>\.metadata\.log

Yuppppp.
    And nothing is being logged in the log file.
    I’ll mail you som screenshots at support@genuitec.com

#235771 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Do you have an ATI-based graphics card by chance?

#235848 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Nope, I have an nVidia Quadro workstation dual-head card.
    But yes, it would make sense that the driver cause this, I have actually observed a few other quirks as well……

#244643 Reply

@keb wrote:

@support-rkalla wrote:

Nope, I have an nVidia Quadro workstation dual-head card.
    But yes, it would make sense that the driver cause this, I have actually observed a few other quirks as well……

Well this problem has been around for quite som time now, and it doesn’t work on the latest release of the nVidia quadro drivers nor on the latest beta (if indeed the driver is at fault).
    My system setup is:
    – Win XP Pro x64
    – nVidia Quadro NVS 285

What is Strange is that most of the settings dialogs display just fine, some display fine at first usage, and some doesn’t display at all.

E.g. the ‘Project – Properties – Java Build Path – Libraries’ works the first time I display the settings dialog, but all subsequent times I try to display this dialog it comes up blank.

The dialog ‘Window – Preferences – MyEclipse – J2EE Project – Web Project’ always fails.
    (Alle the tab folders always come up blank).

Another relevant ‘fact of life’ is that none of the Eclipse dialogs fails, and only a few of the MyEclipseIDE dialogs fails.

This leads me to believe that it may not be only the nVidia drivers that is at fault here.
    I have also mailed some screenshots to support(at)myeclipseide.com.

#244652 Reply

Riyad Kalla

keb,
    We will take a look. I run Windows 64 Pro as my primary desktop with a nVidia 7800 GTX card and am not aware of any graphical corruption. (I realize our cards are different)

Are you doing any overclocking of the card or anything to the default settings? Is this the same install you’ve been using the entire time, or have you since reformatted and reinstalled Windows? (I’m not asking you to, just curious if the problem persisted across Windows reinstalls).

#244678 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Are you doing any overclocking of the card or anything to the default settings?

Nope, I am running a plain Dell Precision 380 workstation.

@support-rkalla wrote:

Is this the same install you’ve been using the entire time, or have you since reformatted and reinstalled Windows? (I’m not asking you to, just curious if the problem persisted across Windows reinstalls).

I have been running the same windows install all the time.

I have upgraded the nVidia drivers whenever new version arrive though, but none of them have solved the problem.

I have also tested on Eclipse 3.1, 3.11, 3.2Milestones,
    Plus MyEclipseIDE 4.0-4.03, 4.1M1-M2.

Since my post, I tried installing ME4.1M2 (on Eclipse 3.2M4), and then one of the dialogs seems to have started working consistently OK again (Project – Java build path – Libraries).
    This also makes me think the problem is Eclipse+ME related, and not necessarily only an nVidia issue.

– The ME Web project setting are still blank though 🙁

#244679 Reply

Riyad Kalla

keb,
    The problem here is that we don’t have access to a Quadro-based machine to even test this. I do run Windows 64 Pro with a 7800 GTX card from nvidia and everything is working fine; that is as close as we can get right now to testing on your platform. I’m sorry I cannot be more helpful right now.

Out of curiosity, when you unzip a brand new download of Eclipse 3.1.1 SDK to a new dir, and run it (forgetting ME right now) ALL the dialogs work just fine? Nothing is wrong with it?

Also what JRE are you using to run Eclipse? (java -version)

#244757 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Out of curiosity, when you unzip a brand new download of Eclipse 3.1.1 SDK to a new dir, and run it (forgetting ME right now) ALL the dialogs work just fine? Nothing is wrong with it?

Yupp, that is the case, and it applies to Eclipse 3.0.x 3.1.x and 3.2Mx versions of Eclipse.

@support-rkalla wrote:

Also what JRE are you using to run Eclipse? (java -version)

java version “1.5.0_06”
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)

#244760 Reply

Riyad Kalla

hmm, we will do what testing we can and try and figure out what is different about our dialogs, but I can’t promise anything right now.

#244989 Reply

Just tested on Eclipse 3.1.2 + ME 4.1.
    Still no improvements…..

UPDATE: The ME ‘<Project> – Build path – Configure build path’ dialogs some times show up with the ‘librarues’ tab blanked out, and other times with a blank ‘projects’ tab. I am not able to identify my behavioural pattern leading to each of these settings.

….This whole thing only groes stranger and stranger

#247074 Reply

The only real showstopper now is the ‘Preferences – MyEclipse – J2EE project – Web project’ tabs (All four of them: ‘Template’, ‘Build path’, ‘Deployment’, and ‘Tag libraries’), since all other dialog screens at least works on first entry. That they <blank out> on subsequent entries are only a minor annoyance.

Any chance that the displaying of the ‘Web project’ preferences dialog will be looked into for the 4.1.1 release? (Please…. 🙂

#247077 Reply

Riyad Kalla

keb,
    There really isn’t anything for us to do on our end. None of us have a Quadro and the closest person to having your system (me) is not running into any problems. So duplication for us is 0.

I noticed your JRE version:

What happens if you use the Client VM and not the server VM?

#247131 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

keb,
    There really isn’t anything for us to do on our end. None of us have a Quadro and the closest person to having your system (me) is not running into any problems. So duplication for us is 0.

I noticed your JRE version:

What happens if you use the Client VM and not the server VM?

I have tried the 64-bit server VM, the 32-bit server VM, the 32-bit client VM and BEA’s JRockit VM.
    All Sun VM have tha same problems, and BEA’s a whole lot of others as well…..

The thing is that before ME 4.1, more ME dialogs were having trouble, but after ME 4.1 most of these were functional (fixed? / changed?). The exception being the Myeclipse-Web dialog tabs.

Other troubled tabs is when right-clicking a project, and selecting ‘Java Build Path – Configure Build Path’.
    The first time you try this, you can access the ‘Libraries’ tab, but all subsequent accesses (until ME is restarted) shows a blank tab. Before ME 4.1 the first access also showed a blank tab, and then this was more of a showstopper.

On the same tab (when right-clicking a project, and selecting ‘Java Build Path – Configure Build Path’.),
    the default output folder shown in the bottom of the dialog (underneath all tabs) only shows the first 14 characters of the path – but these 14 characters are scrollable, so this is only a very minor nuisance…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Display problem on 64-bit VM w/ Quadro gfx

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in