facebook

Do you plan more support for EJB3 ?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We are more and more using EJB 3 with JBoss. It is so much simpler than EJB 2 that you might think you need no specific tool …

Well

JBoss IDE starts providing more specific packaging/depoyement tools that it would be great to have integrated in MyEclipse.

JDeveloper with TopLink is going forward with reverse engineering from tables to corresponding EJB3 Entity beans.

We want to keep on using MyEclipse that is doing better in lots of areas but your roadmap does not say a word about EJB 3. What are your plans for it ?

Bernard

#228555 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Bernard,
    This is eventually comming, we have some bigger issues to tackle before that point, but it shouldn’t be too long. No definite ETA yet, it based on user demand.

#229223 Reply

Frank Weber

Bernard,

> JBoss IDE starts providing more specific packaging/depoyement tools that it would be great to have integrated in MyEclipse.

I have not looked into the JBoss IDE for some time … what kind of packaging / depoyement support are you looking for?

And in regards to the database reverse engeneering … shouldn’t it be possible to connect to the database directly with the tools provided by MyEclipse? Or are you refering to the hibernate related configuration?

BTW. Did you get the JBoss EJB3 annotations to work, I had some problems with M4 – hope this is solved with M6?!

Regards,

Frank

#239960 Reply

Frank,

EJB3 works fine with Eclipse 3.1/MyEclipse 4. It is so much simple than other technologies that is not too much work to manage your configuration.

By reverse engineering, I mean getting from the Data model to the annotated Entity Bean automatically. It is no problem if it is required to first reverse from the data model to an UML diagram and then from the UML diagram to the class.

Starting up a new EJB 3 project implies selecting the EJB3 implementation JAR files. I could manage looking at which libs are selected by JBoss IDE. I don’t use JBoss IDE bc it is not stable, does not include enough functionalities and does not provide the quality of support and service I get with MyEclipse.

EJB3 can be deployed by just putting the ejb3 file in the deploy directory of JBoss, but my expreience shows it is a bad idea. I need to build up an EAR file including the PARs, EJB3s, WARs, common jar files and so on. I did it for now using Ant. It would be great to get a better level of automation, managing the application.xml, Class-Path entries in manifests and the content of the EAR from a simple dialog.

I never did EJB 2 dev with MyEclipse so may be you have support for all this with not much work to do. Or is it may be already working ?

Bernard

#240312 Reply

Frank Weber

Hi Bernard,

sorry for the delay of my response and thanks for your feedback, I have tried to follow up in a related post : https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/ear-including-sars-pars-ejb3s-wars-to-jboss-4-0-3/

I hope that I can get around maintaining ant scripts 🙂 But I am not to sure whether I should use ant anyway in more complex projects… even if ME comes up with EJB3 support . What is your experience?

Regards,

Frank

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Do you plan more support for EJB3 ?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in