facebook

Eclipse leaking SWT GDI handles with darkest dark enabled

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

grobitto
    Participant

I have about 120 projects in my workspace, divided into 5-6 working sets. After installing darkest dark i start getting an error “SWT: no more handles” every 10-15 minutes of work, so i have to kill eclipse and restart it. This issue reproduced on clean eclipse install with no other external plugins.

After many hours of struggle i was able to narrow down this problem to “Top level elements” setting in package explorer menu. If i set it to “Projects” i never get this error and eclipse GDI handles counter in task manager keeps reasonable low. But just a few minutes after enabling “Working sets” as top level GDI objects counter skyrockets and eventually i get an “SWT no more handles” error. If i disable darkest dark as my theme this problem also disappears.

My environment:
    Eclipse for java developers version 4.7.3a with darkest dark installed and enabled (also reproduced on Eclipse for java EE developers).
    Devstyle settings:
    Workbench theme: Dark Gray (Darkest Dark)
    Icon colors: pastels
    Editor theme: darkest dark

#581202 Reply

capeleto
    Participant

I’m with a problem like yours, all the computer UI gets messed up when it happens

It started happening in April’s 10th. I have no ideia if the two problems are connected.

When the bug occurs all computer UI gets messed up and eclipse freezes, I have to end eclipse task.

( OBS.: I put the white blocks in the file attached)

Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
    Build id: 20180405-1200

DevStyle (includes Darkest Dark Theme) 1.11.0.201804160847
    DevStyle – Icon Designer 1.11.0.201804160847

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by capeleto.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #581296 Reply

grobitto
    Participant

Yep, for me it also started around 10 april, i dont know what was the cause, maybe some windows patch or so

#581326 Reply

support-swapna

grobitto/capeleto,

Sorry that you are seeing this problem. While we investigate it at our end, can you please give us some more details?

1. Can you please check if the problem persists in a clean install of Eclipse without the Darkest Dark plugin?

2. Do you see the same problem with Eclipse Dark theme as well? Please select ‘Dark’ instead of DevStyle Theme in the Window > Preferences > General > Appearance page and check.

3. If the problem is not seen in a clean install of Eclipse without Darkest Dark plugin, then please replicate the problem with Darkest Dark plugin and send us the workspace log file by clicking on the ‘Export Log’ icon in the Error Log view for further investigation.

4. Please also take 3-4 thread dumps of the time when Eclipse freezes and send it over to help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the Eclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of freeze, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

5. Also share with us the Version and OS Build of the Windows system (Settings > System > About > Windows specifications section)

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, I hope we’re able to get to the bottom of this.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#581338 Reply

capeleto
    Participant

1. Yes, with a clean eclipse install with darkest dark the problem still persists, without darkest dark it didn’t appear to happen.
    2. With the Eclipse Dark Theme, as long as I tested, it didn’t happen.
    3 and 4. When it happens again i’ll send.
    5. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1709 [Version 10.0.16299.371]

I changed the ‘Working Sets’ to ‘Projects’ as grobitto suggested and looks like its working fine till now.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by capeleto. Reason: More info:
    #581348 Reply

capeleto
    Participant

Here is the log file from when it happened with a friend.
    He’s with the same problem, he tested on the first version of oxygen to check if the problem was with April’s update from oxygen.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1709 [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
    Version: Oxygen.1 Release (4.7.1)
    Build id: 20170914-1200

Attachments:
    #581356 Reply

grobitto
    Participant

Steps to reproduce:
    Download fresh Eclipse for java developers
    Install Darkest Dark from marketplace
    Create empty GIT repository ( looks like GIT annotations plays some part in this)
    Create some projects with some files, import them into workspace and add to git repo (i just cloned one project 6 times)
    Create 10 working sets and add every project to every working set, set Package Explorer top level elements to working sets.
    Open windows task manager, click “Details”, click on table header and add “GDI Objects” column
    Now try to edit some files, every time you make a change GDI Objects+=200. After counter hits 10000 you get “SWT no more handles” error.

Windows 10 pro version 1709 build 16299.371

#581366 Reply

capeleto
    Participant

Here are the dump files.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1709 [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
    Version: Oxygen.1 Release (4.7.1)
    Build id: 20170914-1200

Attachments:
    #581588 Reply

support-swapna

grobitto/capeleto,

Thank you guys for the detailed steps and the dump files. I could replicate the problem at my end.
    I have filed a bug for the dev team to work on this issue. We will keep you posted when the fix is out.

Appreciate your support in helping us figure out the problem. Thank you for reporting it.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#584305 Reply

MrEasy
    Participant

Thanks for looking into this.

Having the same issue – same scenario with working-sets.
    Even increasing Windows’ limit to 64K does just defer the issue.

Hint: You can also monitor the GDI-handles in Windows’ task manager by adding the column to the details view.

#584324 Reply

Brian Fernandes

This bug has been a bit hard for us to reproduce, but we did find and fix one issue that could be causing the problem – this fix was released a couple of days ago to the public.

Can you go to Preferences > Webclipse and let us know the Build Id listed there, so we know what build you’re reporting this on?

After checking the Id, please see if updates are available to DevStyle, and apply them. Let us know if you still see the problem on restart. Hope you are a release behind and the update does fix your problem.

Thanks!

#587598 Reply

mbisanz
    Participant

Can confirm. Had the same issue (Eclipse Oxygen.3a with DevStyle), but with the latest version (1.11.0.201804271459) the issues seems to be resolved. No more ui freezes / crashes, and the number of GDI handles does not grow.

Thanks!

#587659 Reply

support-swapna

mbisanz,

Glad that the issue is resolved. Thank you for getting back to us.
    Please let us know if you see any other issues.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Eclipse leaking SWT GDI handles with darkest dark enabled

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in