facebook

From Support: Howdy, where y’all from?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. General
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Lemming

I´m from New Zealand, but I haven´t lived there for a while now. I´ve lived all over, but now I’m in Madrid to learn Spanish, look at the ladies, and develop using J2EE. Finally managed to get a job that´s not mostly c++ 🙂

Seems like a great product, and a great forum too. Wait! What are all the support guys doing here? Why aren’t they fixing my problems?

#218586 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Sounds like you’ve found a great mix for your current job! Welcome.

Wait! What are all the support guys doing here? Why aren’t they fixing my problems?

A very good question. Back to work all you support slackers! 😉

#218590 Reply

Nabil Suleiman
    Participant

/me cracks the whip.

#219607 Reply

Paul Kaiser

I’m from New Jersey (yes, I’ll admit it).

#219609 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ah, the Garden State.

Famous for the urban legend that “two-thirds of the world’s eggplant is grown in New Jersey” (http://www.tech-sol.net/humor/one-liner35.htm). Tragically, it’s not true as debunked here (http://www.computerbits.com/archive/2003/0300/towse0303.html).

Peculiar that the first thing I think of when I read “New Jersey” is this incorrect “factoid”. 🙂
    However, I’ve actually never been there so I don’t have a lot else to go on.

Welcome to MyEclipse!

#220305 Reply

Daniel (dumdan) – Toronto – Canada, for the last 8 years. Came here from Romania – not that I want to send anyone back to the maps, or anything … 🙂

#220335 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Came here from Romania – not that I want to send anyone back to the maps, or anything … 🙂

But, of course you knew I wouldn’t be able to resist. I had a pretty fair idea of where Romania was (ie. “near Hungary”). However, while consulting the map I found was also reminded that Romania is a wine producer and that I’d actually had some Romanian wine recently at a Halloween party. It was really quite good. Additionally, I found out that there’s apparently a country named Muldova that I’d never heard of before. Anyone here from Muldova? 🙂

#220439 Reply

This is such a compelling thread, somehow I can’t resist adding my bit too!

Currently living in Calgary, Alberta Canada with my family. We moved here from Stellenbosch, world famous wine region of sunny South Africa.

Thanks for a wonderful product guys … I may soon sign up our whole dev team to ME!

#220447 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This is such a compelling thread, somehow I can’t resist adding my bit too!

I’m pleased I”m not the only one that finds it interesting. 🙂

Currently living in Calgary, Alberta Canada with my family.

I’ve only been to Calgary a few times, and it was only long enough to get a rental car and drive to Banff or Lake Louise. For those of you that ski, I highly recommend both for both the trails and exquisite beauty of the surroundings.

We moved here from Stellenbosch, world famous wine region of sunny South Africa.

OK, back to the map. Although I know where South Africa is, I had no idea there was a wine region. You must keep most of it for yourselves. 😉 Actually, that reminds me of a local ice cream called Blue Bell who’s slogan is “We eat all we can, then we sell the rest.”

A quick web search gave me this site for Stellenbosch (http://www.go2africa.com/south-africa/winelands/stellenbosch/). It really looks quite picturesque.

Thanks for a wonderful product guys … I may soon sign up our whole dev team to ME!

Hey, don’t keep the goodies for just yourself. It’s the season to share. 🙂

#223490 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

OK, it’s been over a month since anyone new contributed to my favorite thread here, so I’m just posting this so it will light up as “new” in your browser. Since it obviously worked, and you’re reading this now, how about typing a quick reply to let us know where you’re located? Word has it that we sell into over 130 countries and there are only about a dozen in this thread so far. Where’s yours? 🙂

#227709 Reply

arjan.tijms

Nice thread this 🙂

I’m from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Famous for its beautiful canals, historical city centre, and relaxing athmosphere. Our company is located in this centre, so we all come to it by bike or public transportation. Parking your car is not really an option here. Of course, for the priviledge of working with MyEclipse at work, we all happily live with that 😉

#227716 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Arjan,

Thanks for the “mental picture”. I think we actually have quite a few subscribers from the Netherlands, especially adjusting for the population. Seems like the software industry must be doing rather well there.

On a side note, I went to Copenhagen a few years ago and amazed that some of the people I met (in their 20’s) spoke perfect, unaccented “American”. I call it that, rather than English, because they sounded like they could be from the midwest. I asked how they managed such a mastery of their second language and each one attributed it to being hooked on American TV since they were kids. Is Amsterdam the same way?

#227805 Reply

arjan.tijms

@support-scott wrote:

Arjan,
    Thanks for the “mental picture”. I think we actually have quite a few subscribers from the Netherlands, especially adjusting for the population. Seems like the software industry must be doing rather well there.

It’s nice to hear there are more subscribers from the Netherlands. There are quite a few technical inclined people here (judging from the activity on Dutch ‘programming’ fora) 🙂 We don’t really have a software industry that produces software as a core business. I think a lot of the activity is in support departments for banking or transport organizations etc.

On a side note, I went to Copenhagen a few years ago and amazed that some of the people I met (in their 20’s) spoke perfect, unaccented “American”. I call it that, rather than English, because they sounded like they could be from the midwest. I asked how they managed such a mastery of their second language and each one attributed it to being hooked on American TV since they were kids. Is Amsterdam the same way?

Well, the situation here is that we’re exposed to a lot of English. A large percentage of the TV here is American and people really love it. The good thing is that we don’t have any voice dubbing but only use subtitles. For the younger people, even subtitles aren’t always necassary and they tend to watch DVDs and downloaded series without them. Most book stores also carry a lot of English magazines and books, and you actually quite often catch people on the train reading English literature. When I studied CS at the university, 90% of the material was in English. In the master phase classes are completely in English.

It is said that Dutch is the closests language to English (well actually Holland’s second official language ‘Fries’ is even closer, but only a minority speaks that). So, the understanding of English is almost perfect for a lot of people here. Strangely enough, speaking is quite another issue. Not that many people speak really unaccented American or English. This mainly comes from the fact that we simply don’t speak it very often. We consume a lot of it in all of its forms, but mainly produce it in written form only.

It’s also remarkable that our closest neighbour, Germany, isn’t exposed to a lot of English at all. My girlfriend lives only a few miles from the German border (well, what used to be the border, it’s mostly gone now) and over there all TV content is dubbed and bookstores often don’t carry a single English magazine.

#227808 Reply

wayne

We have a fond relationshp with the Netherlands.

A couple of years ago I worked in Gorenchem (about 40-50 miles southwest of Amsterdam) on a J2EE consulting gig with a shop that was transitioning from MS technology. Eclipse was in its early adopter stage and the client had limited tool resources. So they were keen to try out Eclipse. At that time Genuitec had built the free EASIE appserver connectors and we used the EASIE Weblogic connector which enabled hot-swap debugging of EJBs within Eclipse but had no project support or web dev tools. The experiences we gained during that and several subsequent consulting engagements spurred us to consider creating MyEclipse.

Being from Texas where it is 100 degrees F for 8 out of 12 months a year I never identified with the speed skating obsession. But then again you might find it challenging to understand rattlesnake roundups or chili cookoffs here in Texas. 🙂

Wayne Parrott
    VP, Product Development
    Genuitec, LLC

#229240 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This thread has almost 4000 views, but only 74 replies. Come on, you know you like to find out who lives where; that’s why you’re reading this post. So, if you haven’t posted here yet, let us know where you’re from and keep my favorite thread alive.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
Reply To: From Support: Howdy, where y’all from?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in