facebook

Fustrated with tutorials, trying to learn codemix

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

wallybowles
    Participant

hello,
    This is the 2nd totorial I am taking, and both have left me fustrated.
    The current one I am taking is Tricks 101.
    On the 2nd page of 15 in this totorial, the 3rd instruction states the following:

1. Open the empty hello.html file located at src/hello.html.
    2. Start typing html and notice how it automatically suggests some options.
    3. Select the html option with the snippet icon (a file drawn with dashes) and press TAB.

Question: What, Where is the “snippet icon”?
    I do not see it in the drop down choices provided that would resolve in the html expected code found in the next page 3.

In a youtube tutorial I found, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcfCNQa0jwc
    It shows how to get what the 3rd instruction above states by start typing a “!” that’s it. NOT what the 2nd instruction states to do… “Start typing html…..”

So back to my question, what/where is the “snippet icon” that would produce the code expected?
    Thanks for your help,
    Wally

#627823 Reply

Hi Wally,

We are sorry that you are having issues with CodeMix tutorials. We are working on improving and fixing the tutorials so that they can be easier to follow for our new users.

You can get the required HTML snippet by first invoking Content Assist on the file (Ctrl/Cmd + Space) and then start typing html. You should see the suggestion as in the attached file.

Also, can you tell us more about the tutorials that were troublesome for you? We would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I hope this was helpful and if you ever need more assistance, please do not hessitate to contact us.

Best regards,
    Vanessa

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #627915 Reply

wallybowles
    Participant

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for the quick reply. With your instructions I got CodeMix to produce the magic I was after and follow along in the Tutorial.

If you don’t know the “key combinations” to press, you can’t fall in love with the magic that CodeMix can produce.

As to the other tutorials;
    I have been using Eclipse since 2005 as a Java developer, and decided to learn TypeScript before learning Angular and thought instead of learning it in a different IDE, or with the Eclipse basic editor, I would try CodeMix plugin first

Well my first CodeMix tutorial was the TypeScript tutorial, that one flowed along will, but at the end, I did not have a good idea where to place files so that CodeMix can do its magic I would change my own created typescript.ts file, but the changes would not show in the live preview. The tutorial was more of a how to use Codemx with your already established TypeScript skills, which I do not have much at this time. I googled “tsConfig.json” and “package.json” to identify if they are Typescript files or specifically part of the CodeMix magic files needed by CodeMix.

So I decided lets start with the more basic CodeMix tutorial, the HTML/CSS Trick 101, and in this 2nd Tutorial, the “key combinations” to produce the code magic was not getting me too far, until you answered my question above.

I am taking Typescript and Angular courses by Udemy, however the instructors are using other IDE’s instead of CodeMix.

Thanks for your help.
    Wally

#627946 Reply

Hi Wally,

We’re glad to hear back from you and to know that you were able to follow along in the HTML tutorial.

However, we’d also like to know more about your issues with TypeScript. The tutorial creates and opens the files for you as you move along the steps in the tutorial. Can you be more specific of exactly what you did and in which step you started to have issues with it? That would help us to find out what was going on in your case and what we can do about it.

Thank you so much for your feedback, we’ll keep these things in mind during our improvements of the tutorials.
    Vanessa

#627972 Reply

wallybowles
    Participant

Hi Vanessa,

I was hoping to learn Typescript and its associated environment with an editor that would make the learning experience easier and quicker. So I downloaded and installed the CodeMix plugin into my Eclipse.

Right now, CodeMix is complicating the learning process for me.
    The CodeMix Tutorials are showing you how to use CodeMix shortcuts “if” you already know your way around the Typescript coding and the run environment.

The CodeMix Tutorials are Not showing you how to code in Typescript.
    The CodeMix Tutorials are Not showing you how and when to use the Terminal+
    The CodeMix Tutorials are Not showing you when to compile your typescript code, or it its done automatically and how it is done automatically.
    The CodeMix Tutorials are Not showing the difference between the Terminal+, and my window cmd Terminal
    My window cmd Terminal shows tsc -version 3.6.3 is installed, yet within CodeMix Terminal+ the tsc -version is 2.9.2
    The CodeMix Tutorials are Not allowing you to re-take or re-do the tutorial again, once you get to the end thee no turning back, the tutorial does not seem to work anymore.

So I think I am going to un-install CodeMix, learn Typescript and the associated run environment the long and hard way, maybe use Brackets where I have done Javascript before, and just use my window cmd Terminal to compile the Typescript.

Thanks,
    Wally

#628192 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Wally,

Sorry to hear you’ve had a disappointing experience with CodeMix. Right now, out tutorials are more focused on teaching you how to use the IDE, as opposed to learning about new frameworks and languages – clearly, they do not meet the expectations you have. We’ll use your feedback and experiences to improve our tutorials going forward.

As far as being able to re-take a tutorial, there is a restart context menu action that you will find against the tutorial, from the main tutorial view (which lists all the tutorials).

In closing, I will say that if you’re an Eclipse developer, you could still benefit from being able to stick with Eclipse with CodeMix, rather than having to move to another IDE. We use the Code OSS engine under the hood, so if you find external blogs, tutorials and courses (I know a large number of these use VS Code) – you should be still able to follow along inside CodeMix, as the functionality will be nearly the same.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Fustrated with tutorials, trying to learn codemix

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in