facebook

Hard to read SQL queries with Darkest Dark theme

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

adamb08
    Participant

I use the SAP HANA Eclipse plugin. One feature of the plugin is the ability to create SQL queries that you send to the HANA server. With the Darkest Dark theme, it’s very difficult to read any queries involving a string, as you can see from the attached screenshot.

The dark blue of the strings on the black background is really hard on the eyes. Can this be fixed?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #606202 Reply

Aaron Lara

@adamb08, thanks for reaching out!

Do you see this issue also with the eclipse dark theme? If you do, it’s possible SAP HANA is hardcoding those colors regardless the theme. In some cases we need to wait for these third party plugins to properly contribute their color definitions instead of hardcoding them.

Depending on the nature of their code, we might be able to override their colors, but for this we will need to inspect their source. But usually doable.

Cheers,
    Aaron Lara

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Aaron Lara.
    #606306 Reply

adamb08
    Participant

I also see the issue with the Eclipse Dark theme; it seems like the colours may be hardcoded as you suggest.

#606310 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for checking it out! I’m not familiar with SAP HANA, but if you guide me on how I can get to see those colors we might be able to force/override better colors in a future release of DevStyle.

For this, please let me know the version of eclipse and what other plugins I need to install. And steps of how to get to see those colors.

#606311 Reply

adamb08
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. To install the HANA plugin you can follow steps 1-5 here: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/hxe-howto-eclipse.html.

You should be able to use the “Neon” option in step 1 and leave things at their default values in step 2.

It may be a bit tricky to see these colours without a live HANA server to connect to, but one thing that might work is (after installing the HANA plugin) opening the attached simple_select.sql file in Eclipse (i.e. File -> Open…). The file just contains select * from “MY_TABLE”, which you should in a SQL editor after you open it simple_select.sql in Eclipse. I’ve attached a screenshot (working.PNG) the shows what you’d see if everything works as I hope it will.

This is the version of Eclipse I’m using:
    Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
    Build id: 20180405-1200

Attachments:
    #606316 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for the details! We will take a look at it and let you know once (if) we fix it. I appreciate your patience.

#610238 Reply

Aaron Lara

Good news, we managed to track and fix (intercept) the hardcoded colors! This fix will be included in our next DevStyle release next week. But it would be really helpful if you give the fix a try by using our preview build.

To use the preview release, follow these steps:

1. Add the following line to Eclipse/configuration/config.ini
    com.genuitec.devstyle.manifest.url=http\://www.genuitec.com/updates/devstyle/prerelease/devstyle.json
    2. Restart Eclipse, and then give it a couple of minutes.
    3. An update will be detected (see progress view) when the update is done, restart Eclipse.

If it doesnโ€™t update automatically try the following:
    1. Go to help > Install New Software
    2. Use this site: http://www.genuitec.com/updates/devstyle/prerelease/
    3. Select DevStyle (for update) and continue with the wizard

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#610393 Reply

adamb08
    Participant

Hi Aaron,

The fix works, the SQL editor now is much, much easier on the eyes. Thanks!

New SQL editor

Thanks,
    Adam

#610802 Reply

lexl
    Participant

Hi together,

Year it is working for the HANA SQL Editor quite well! Many, many thanks to that!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately there is another Editor for HANA Table Functions and here it’s the same issue. It’s quite hard to work with the colors, thus it would be really helpful if you could also solve that issue…

Many thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    Alex

PS.: You can reproduce this issue by opening a file with the following content. The file should have the file type *.hdbtablefunction (e.g. table_function_example.hdbtablefunction):

FUNCTION "_SYS_BIC"."test.TF001" ( paramter DATE ) 
    	RETURNS TABLE ( "FIELD1"     NVARCHAR(1),
    					"FIELD2"     NVARCHAR(8), 
    				    "FIELD3"     DATE,
    	    	        "CC_DATE"    DATE,
    	    	        "ROW_NUM"	 BIGINT,
    	    	        "CC_DAYS"	 BIGINT )
    	LANGUAGE SQLSCRIPT
    	SQL SECURITY INVOKER AS
    BEGIN

/*Selection of the valid entries*/
    RETURN 
    	SELECT FIELD1, 
    		   FIELD2, 
    	       :paramter as CC_DATE,
    	       FIELD3,
    		   row_number() OVER (PARTITION BY "FIELD1"
    							 	  ORDER BY "FIELD3" DESC) AS row_num,								 		 
    		   days_between(:parameter,"FIELD3") as CC_DAYS
    				FROM "_SYS_BIC"."table"				
    		WHERE row_num = '1';	
    END;
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by lexl.
    Attachments:
    #610860 Reply

Aaron Lara

lexl, thanks for reporting this issue! So they have more hardcoded colors :(. We have replicated the issue. Unfortunately this didn’t make it to today’s release but I will let you know if I can get you a patch.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#610918 Reply

Aaron Lara

@lexl, I’m happy to announce we fixed this issue, since we had to do a hotfix update anyway (due to other more serious issue) we decided to put this fix in as well.

Thanks again for reporting it!
    Aaron Lara

#610947 Reply

lexl
    Participant

That was fast! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Many thanks! I’ve already tried it and it works! Good job.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regards,
    Alex

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Hard to read SQL queries with Darkest Dark theme

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in