facebook

Help in Understanding MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. General
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

beena23

Hi,

is it correct to say the myeclipse is an IDE? or is just eclipse an IDE? i don’t really understand what a plug-in is?

I need to compare both Jdeveloper 10g, with the latest version of MyEclipse. Is there any information that you can send me, or any web pages that my particularly help?

my email address is bina_z@hotmail.com

Please is anyone can help, it’ll be much appreciated!

Thanks

#228749 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Plugin = A collection of code that follows a predefined API and has an XML file or two that describes what it does, where it hooks in and stuff like that. The platform reads this XML file, understands the plugin and hooks it into the system.

Eclipse = A platform to build applications on. The platform is crafted in such a way that there is core set of APIs that provide basic functionalities and super-flexile/powerful plugin system. The idea with Eclipse is that almost ALL the functionality (text editor, preferences, searching, running JUnit, etc.) is a plugin that is hooked into the system via those XML descriptors I mentioned. You can build an Email client using Eclipse. People have built all sorts of applications with Eclipse, it’s a flexible platform (and huge).

Eclipse JDT = A big collection of plugins written ontop of Eclipse that provide Java-specific functionalities. Because people *mostly* use Eclipse as a Java IDE, they tend to call it “Eclipse”, like I just did. But they really mean “Eclipse JDT”, since that is the collection of plugins that provide the Java functionality.

MyEclipse = A big collection of J2EE-specific plugins that provide all the web-specific developing capabilities.

So what you need to compare is:
    JDeveloper 10G against (Eclipse SDK + MyEclipse)

#228777 Reply

beena23

Hi,

thanks for that explanation, finally it’s clear.

I’m required to compare, MyEclipse with JDeveloper tomarow in a presentation, but have found it difficult in finding disadvantages of the two.

Can you help?

#228782 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Can you help?

Sorry, besides my answer being totally bias, I’ve never used JDeveloper.

But to get you started, you can compare pricing as well as our feature sets: http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-15.html

#228784 Reply

beena23

Ok, No problem, thanks for your help, really appreciate it. 🙂

#228786 Reply

beena23

Actually, one last question,

Do you know of any current fault in MyEclipse? something that it is lacking? and is probably availble in other IDEs?

#228788 Reply

Riyad Kalla
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Help in Understanding MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in