facebook

High CPU for codemix-engine

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

depinski
    Participant

I got an email that there was a codemix update to fix high CPU use and performance. Unfortunately, the high CPU use issue still persists. I have the codemix engine process consuming 97-98% CPU on a single core. It is the highest CPU using process on my computer of which I have many. As a result this causes the fan on my PC to spin up to cool the CPU temp increase as it’s causing TurboCore to kick in all the time heating the CPU.

#620914 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Would you mind if we gave you a pre-release build on Monday of an update coming out we believe fixes it? (if it doesn’t fix the last issue — we have some diagnostics tools in it to help get to the root of any lingering issues too).

Thanks for letting us know!

#620985 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Following up from yesterday, we have a prerelease available today. To use the preview release, follow these steps:

• Add the following line to Eclipse/configuration/config.ini
      com.genuitec.code.manifest.url=http\://www.genuitec.com/updates/codemix/prerelease/codemix.json
    • Restart Eclipse
    • An update will be detected as shown bottom left — when the update is applied, click the Restart icon to reload Eclipse with the prerelease version of CodeMix

Could you please update and let us know via Help > CodeMix > Live Chat if you are seeing improved performance or not? If you aren’t, there are a couple remote diagnostics commands we can do to see exactly where performance is being used. Thanks kindly!

#621527 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Just wanted to follow up here to state that this fix is now publicly released and users will receive it via the normal update process, you no longer need to perform the above steps. Please read this post for more on the fixes in the very latest release (2019.8.21).

#640853 Reply

cfmoraes
    Participant

This problem was solved? I am still getting this problem with Codemix to the point of sometimes freeze my computer.
    I am using Vue and Python packages.

#641167 Reply

support-swapna

cfmoraes,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.
    When exactly are you seeing the jump in the CPU usage? Is it an indefinite freeze?

Please add these two entries:

com.genuitec.eclipse.engine.log=true
    com.genuitec.eclipse.engine.log.verbose=true

to the config.ini file located in the Eclipse installation dir/configuration folder and restart the IDE. This will generate engine debug logs in the .codemix folder.

The next time you see the freeze, please get in touch with us via Live Chat (Help > CodeMix > Live Chat) and we will take a look at the generated debug logs.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#659970 Reply

ghartlingjr
    Participant

I added those entries to my config file but I can’t find a .codemix folder with any log files. Exactly where are the log files located?

Thanks,
    -Gerry

#659972 Reply

support-swapna

Gerry,

The .codemix folder will be located in your user home directory. You can also get the location from the IDE here : Window > Preferences > CodeMix > Miscellaneous > CodeMix Global Storage location. The logs will be in the format : codemix_timestamp.

I assume you are working with the latest CodeMix release,i.e 2020.4.7. If no, then please go to Help > Check for Updates and check if the issue persists with the latest release as well.

Please also share with us more details about when exactly are you seeing the spike in the CPU usage, the Eclipse IDE version details and your OS and version details.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#659982 Reply

ghartlingjr
    Participant

I’m attaching the log file. All that I did to reproduce this was to start Eclipse last night and let it run. When I checked this morning it was using 100% of the CPU. I found yesterday that it seems to only take a couple of hours to get into this state.

I’m using Windows 10 on Intel core I7 with Eclipse 2020-03 (4.15.0). The CodeMix version is 3.6.0.202004062234. I just installed it this weekend so I’m assuming that is the latest version.

Thanks,
    -Gerry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #659996 Reply

support-swapna

Gerry,

Thank you for the details and the log file.
    The attached log file doesn’t seem to be a complete one. Do you see any other log file in the same location apart from the one you sent?
    If yes, then please share that file as well.

Are you running any Anti Virus software in the system? If yes, then please share the details.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#659999 Reply

ghartlingjr
    Participant

I’m attaching the other log files.

The only Anti Virus that I’m running (in addition to what Windows runs by default) is Malwarebytes.

I started Eclipse this morning and walked away for 3 hours. When I got back it was using 100% of CPU so I know that it takes less than 3 hours.

Thanks,
    -Gerry

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #660033 Reply

support-swapna

Gerry,

Thank you for the log files.

We suspect some of the extensions installed might be causing the performance problems.
    Please reach us via Live Chat (Help > CodeMix > Live Chat) to help us take a look at the installed extensions and investigate further. If you cannot initiate a Live Chat session at this point, then please share with us the list of installed extensions.

Also let us know which technologies you are currently working with.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660206 Reply

ghartlingjr
    Participant

I only have Eclipse and the Codemix plugin installed. I’m not using STS or any other plugins.

Is there any update on the issue?

Thanks,
    -Gerry

#660230 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello Gerry! I know we already had a Live Chat session, but it would be good if we can have another one if you can around 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (USC time zone) so I can pick it up. There are some utilities on Live Chat that we can use to inspect further.

So when you get some time, please ask for me.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: High CPU for codemix-engine

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in