facebook

How to Debug a React project

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tandtsw
    Participant

MY BACKGROUND / MOTIVE: I am a long time Eclipse/Java developer learning React and evaluating which IDE/Editors to use. I would love to stick with Eclipse (since we have lots of back-end Java), and I am dumbfounded (or missing something) that the JavaScript support built-into Eclipse seems to be stunted? So CodeMix seems like it might bridge that gap.

PROGRESS SO FAR: I was (finally) able to get a debugging session to work for a React project within Eclipse+CodeMix. To test/debug React it seems necessary to first open a terminal associated with the project and run “npm start”. Then I was able to come up with the following launch.json configuration that seemed to get the debugger working inside of Eclipse:

“configurations”: [
    {
    “type”: “chrome”,
    “request”: “launch”,
    “name”: “Launch Chrome”,
    “url”: “http://localhost:3000”
    }
    ]

Is this this best / correct approach?

I feel like I am fumbling around to figure all of this out. Are there any step-by-step instructions for creating a React project within Eclipse and then starting a debugging session?

#583280 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Yes, the JavaScript support in Eclipse isn’t much to write home about – and yes, CodeMix will bridge that gap 🙂

You’re doing things the right way! A tip is that you could press Ctrl + Shift + P and key in npm run script, which will show you a list of scripts as well as projects, and will then open the Terminal automatically. Your debug steps are fine too.

It’s still early days for CodeMix, but we’re hard at work on both making some use cases (like your primary ones) far more intuitive, as well as providing detailed guides for different technologies.

Hope you enjoy using CodeMix, looking forward to your feedback.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: How to Debug a React project

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in