facebook

IndentGuide Preferences problem

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jarsudsco
    Participant

Hi, I’ve got Devstyle (Darkest Dark Theme) installed on Eclipse as follows:

DevStyle - Icon Designer 1.11.0.202007171537 com.genuitec.eclipse.theming.designer.feature.feature.group Genuitec, LLC

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers (includes Incubating components)
    Version: 2020-06 (4.16.0)
    Build id: 20200615-1200
    Java version: 13.0.1

but have been having a problem with the preferences for the IndentGuide plugin not saving – specifically the line width.

I didn’t get a lot of help from the IndentGuide developer so ended up delving into the problem myself and I found a workaround. On reporting my findings to the developer the buck was past so fast it blurred.

He basically says it is a problem with Genuitec code. I’m afraid I don’t understand why that would be true and personally if I was the developer of IndentGuide *I* would want to follow this up, but apparently not everyone shares my sense of investment in a product.

Rather than repeat the discussion here I wonder if I could ask someone to check the relevant issue on IndentGuide’s github, it’s at:

https://github.com/grosenberg/IndentGuide/issues/7

As I said, I currently have a workaround but clearly something is broken and I think broken things should be fixed.

If you are unable or unwilling to follow the link, I will be happy to re-post it and/or summarise it here.

Many thanks,

jarsudsco

#662536 Reply

support-swapna

jarsudsco,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the details.
    The resetting of the width looks like a problem with the Dark theme. I see the issue with Eclipse Dark theme as well without installing DevStyle.

Can you please switch to a light theme and check if resetting the width preferences are retained even after restart?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662573 Reply

jarsudsco
    Participant

Hello Swapna, thank you for getting back to me.

As per your suggestion I did the following:

1 Changed my Eclipse theme to light blue then restarted

2 Loaded the IndentGuide prefs file into an editor to monitor it (<workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\net.certiv.tools.indentguide.prefs)

3 Changed the IndentGuide line width setting from 1 to 2 via the preferences page and applied the change

(In the prefs file the line “indentguide.line_width=1” was correctly replaced with “indentguide.line_width=2” but this happens with the dark theme too)

4 Changed the IndentGuide line width setting back to 1 via the preferences page and applied the change

(In the prefs file the line “indentguide.line_width=2” was removed and not replaced with anything)

5 Restarted Eclipse to find the IndentGuide line width was still set at 1 – presumably a default as there was now no such setting in the prefs file

The critical difference from use of the dark theme at this point is that the line width setting from the *css* file and the “overridden” line were not added to the prefs file.

In fact, I checked the css file too (<workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.ui.common.platform\color-definitions-fix.css) and there appeared to be no IndentGuide section at all – the file was considerably shorter.

So you appear to be correct, the problem does not occur when using a light theme.

But as I much prefer the dark theme I did switch back to it and the problem re-occurred so I applied the manual workaround of simply adding a line to IndentGuide prefs file setting the line width to 1.

Does this help pin down the problem?

Kind regards,

jarsudsco

#662612 Reply

support-swapna

Jarsudsco,

As I mentioned in my previous response, it is Eclipse Dark theme issue which you are seeing and is not related to DevStyle. It is not a preference which DevStyle makes any changes to, so we might not be making any fixes to it.

I suggest you raise a bug report in Eclipse Bugzilla.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662748 Reply

jarsudsco
    Participant

Thank you Swapna, I’ll follow up on this as you suggest – it’s clearly difficult for us non-expert Eclipse users to know where to address issues when it’s so horrendously complex.

Kind regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: IndentGuide Preferences problem

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in