facebook

initializing java tooling…… and then off to vapor space.

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Brian Fernandes

Sometimes this could be caused by a “workspace gone bad” or a really heavy workspace. Do you have many large projects, with say many JARs or library containers attached to them? If you keep a smaller number of projects open, does that help?

You could try switching to a new workspace – (File > Switch Workspace) and import projects en mass or piecemeal into the new workspace from your old workspace. Doing a few projects at a time will help figure out if a particular project or group of projects are causing the problem. If the workspace was “bad” for some reason, you should have no problems in the new workspace with all your projects. Please let us know how it goes.

#306741 Reply

archville
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

Do you have many large projects, with say many JARs or library containers attached to them?

This is almost true. Roughly 20 projects, with some having as many as 25+ jars. Mostly dependencies.

@Support-Brian wrote:

If you keep a smaller number of projects open, does that help?

I’ve had at least 10 projects added to the same workspace after the 1st occurrence of this problem in Feb. So I’ve added versus deducting. However, my earlier attempts to troubleshoot by addressing a few projects at a time was uneventful.

@Support-Brian wrote:

You could try switching to a new workspace – (File > Switch Workspace) and import projects en mass or piecemeal into the new workspace from your old workspace. Doing a few projects at a time will help figure out if a particular project or group of projects are causing the problem. If the workspace was “bad” for some reason, you should have no problems in the new workspace with all your projects. Please let us know how it goes.

Now this, I had tried at least a few times, thanks to someone else who made the same suggestion.
    — Created a NEW workspace
    — Copied a set of projects at a time (using Operating System copy) from the old, into the new workspace
    — Imported the Projects within the new workspace
    — And so on…

This DID make a difference for a week or less. I’d estimate a few (< 5/6) MyEclipse restarts during that time period. I remember adding a few new projects during this period before the problem manifested again. I’m starting to wonder if these events coincided with using the new embedded Maven 2.

Regarding the volume of jars associated with projects in a workspace, I will attempt to isolate the larger projects into their own workspace, and migrate the rest to another. If this approach seems to temporarily subdue the problem, we won’t know until many days later about the combination that may trigger its return. This problem may have deeper roots than just project size.

archville

#308009 Reply

archville
    Participant

This ugly beast has reared its head again. Roughly 5-6 weeks later. I may have stumbled into one of the reasons why this initiates, since I caught it at the first attempt. This incident had little to do with # of projects/jars.

After I started MyEclipse, and before the updates/tooling progress were complete, I attempted to open one of the projects in the current workspace. The IDE became non-responsive for at least 12+ mins before I closed the window on it. The next time MyEclipse was restarted, the freeze at 1% Java Tooling took effect.

If support is interested in any logs this time around, please let me know.

archville

#308057 Reply

support-joy

archville,

I will escalate your issue to dev team member. They will get back to you on this
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

#308158 Reply

archville
    Participant

Support,
    Any feedback on this ? This is a continuing problem that needs a permanent resolution. All temporary fixes are only that – very temporary !! Nothing has changed in my environment since my last major post on this topic.

archville

#308320 Reply

Brian Fernandes

archiville,

What is the last version of MyEclipse you have tried this in? The problem you describe does indicates an issue with the startup process – difficult to reproduce but something that changes significantly even between dot release of Eclipse (and these problems do exist in vanilla Eclipse as well). MyEclipse. 8.5 is based on 3.5.2 so you may experience different behavior here. In our last report you were using MyEclipse 8 which for this sort of issue would be very significantly different.

I have a few questions:
    1) MyEclipse version currently using
    2) Any plugins installed beyond just MyEclipse – like Subversive or Subclipse?
    3) Suggestion: Edit your myeclipse.ini file and add “-clean” on a new line after the “-configuration configuration” line. This will increase the startup time to some extent, not too much. You could then remove the -clean argument or leave it in. If you have an active workspace in which you can reproduce this problem, does this fix it?

#310093 Reply

Hi folks,

just had the same issue after I installed the latest JDK and deleted all the rest. The core bug seems to be in the classloading of webprojects but providing enough memory for the classes schould be a good workaround.

In my eclipse.ini I use following:

-vmargs
    -Xms128m
    -Xmx512m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

The MaxPermSize is important since that’s where eclipse runs short of memory.

#310128 Reply

support-joy

tomwolk,

Thank you for sharing your notes with us.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
Reply To: initializing java tooling…… and then off to vapor space.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in