facebook

Integration with Appfuse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jsents

I was wondering if there were any plans to integrate Appfuse or it’s capabilities into MyEclipse. Something like that gets Java closer to the capabilities that Ruby has with Ruby on Rails.

https://appfuse.dev.java.net/

Thanks for all the great work (I really like the new tapestry integration!)

#231564 Reply

Riyad Kalla

There really hasn’t been demand for it… if there was loud enough demand we would certainly take a look.

I have a heard a lot about Ruby on Rails recently, what are your impressions of it?

#231576 Reply

jsents

@support-rkalla wrote:

I have a heard a lot about Ruby on Rails recently, what are your impressions of it?

It is pretty slick how by running some command line arguments a base application is up and running. The commands install a web server, database, and base application. Then by installing gems you can add capabilities to your application. Without knowing much at all we were able to create a website with security, graphs of some database data, and xls render. It only took about 4 hours. It was not customized but it did what it needed to do.

The reason we did not continue is that it did not support Sybase SQL Anywhere and we would have needed to get a second web server.

#231586 Reply

glongman

@jsents wrote:

I was wondering if there were any plans to integrate Appfuse or it’s capabilities into MyEclipse. Something like that gets Java closer to the capabilities that Ruby has with Ruby on Rails.

https://appfuse.dev.java.net/

Thanks for all the great work (I really like the new tapestry integration!)

There is also Trails, the Java/Tapestry take on Rails.

http://trails.dev.java.net/

Disclaimer: I have not used Appfuse or Trails. Frankly I find Appfuse really hard to figure out – perhaps tooling could make it easier to pick up.

#231637 Reply

jqshenker

I’d love trails support… although I can’t find many things Trails tooling could do! Trails does make everything easy just like RoR, but I’m not sure how hard overriding the automatically-generated stuff is. Perhaps tooling could help with that? (I don’t know, Trails docs are nonexistant right now)

#232742 Reply

jsents

I tried out trails and it is a pretty good tool also.

Maybe asking for the integration of the tools is not the right thing but to ask for the feature to be added in the future. I have found some basic support of what I am looking for but have not found the complete package. It might be as simple as following some instructions I have not found. So here are some things I am looking for.

1. Create New project with x and y and z support deployed to server w

x, y, and z could be tapestry, spring, using hibernate
    or it could be
    Struts, Spring
    or it could be
    Webworks and EJB3.0
    Or any other combination.

Server W could be any one of the servers you currently support.

This procedure would produce a bare bones application and get it deployed to the server.
    Another option would be to provide a database connection information and then the procedure would also provide the setup to the database.

2. Add functionality to the project, like [security, PDF rendering, Xcel importing and Rendering], this would provide the bare bones framework for items. Now I can see where this might not make sense in an IDE Product. It is probably to dependent on the environment it is coded in.

3. Add a code generator that basically does like trails. Again I can see where this might not make sense in an IDE Product.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Integration with Appfuse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in