facebook

Java Debugger not allowing me to add variables

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Luis Pedro
    Participant

Since a few days now (I am not sure whether it is since I updated to the 2015 CI 14 version, or if it happened before too), when I debug my Spring MVC application, the Debug view of the does not allow me to add variables to the variables inspector while I’m stopped at a breakpoint. It used to be the case that I could write an arbitrary expression to evaluate in the inspector, simply by clicking on an empty line and typing the expression; now this does not seem possible anymore, and all I get is a list of the local variables that I cannot modify. Needless to say that this impairs debugging greatly.
    I found some information on forums suggesting to clean and rebuild the project, but this did not help.
    Any suggestion on how to get a useful debugger back?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Luis Pedro.
    #451797 Reply

support-swapna

Luis,

The Variables view displays information about the variables associated with the stack frame selected in the Debug View. To add new variables/expressions for inspection, go to Window > Show View > Expressions and add the variables/expressions for inspection.It is in the Expressions view that you can simply click on an empty line and type an expression.

This is how the Variables and Expressions view worked even in the previous releases of MyEclipse.

Let us know how it works for you.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#451887 Reply

Luis Pedro
    Participant

You know those cases when the you’ve done something a thousand times, yet at some arbitrary point you suddenly do it wrong once, and never notice your error? This is one of those cases. I somehow got a fixation that the Variables view was actually the Expression view. (insert picture of Homer saying D’OH!)

Thanks. 🙂

#452055 Reply

support-swapna

Luis,

Glad that it works.
    Let us know if you see any issues.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Java Debugger not allowing me to add variables

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in