facebook

JSP reconciler markers in 3.8.2 [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Paul Stanton

@support-rkalla wrote:

what the line of code is that is causing the “uncaught exception” error.

<% throw new Exception("ahh"); %>

this is underlined red with an error on the RHS “Unhandled exception type Exception”. although its best practice to handle exceptions, this is unexpected behaviour.

@support-rkalla wrote:

Also the FQN issue is a regression that will be fixed in 3.8.3, sorry about the inconvenience.

looking forward to it

#219248 Reply

Riyad Kalla

pstanton,
    Is by change this JSP page setup as an error page to handle exceptions? This is a known bug that should be fixed in 3.8.3… if its NOT an error, then adding a blatent compile-time exception to the middle of a page like this is probably not a ‘best practice’ 😀

#219293 Reply

Paul Stanton

@support-rkalla wrote:

pstanton,
    Is by change this JSP page setup as an error page to handle exceptions?

not sure what your saying @support-rkalla wrote:

This is a known bug that should be fixed in 3.8.3…

good .. thats all i need to know @support-rkalla wrote:

adding a blatent compile-time exception to the middle of a page like this is probably not a ‘best practice’ 😀

lol .. yes .. i did this to reproduce the bug obviously

#219294 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Sorry what I meant to say was if you did this on purpose in a normal JSP page, then the error is correctly. However if you did this in a JSP page marked as an “Error” page used for handling Exceptions, then that is a known bug that we hope to fix. I *think* the ETA is 3.8.3, but it might be 3.9.

#219299 Reply

Paul Stanton

@support-rkalla wrote:

if you did this on purpose in a normal JSP page, then the error is correctly.

why? javac compiles it fine, why would myeclipse disagree? is myeclipse going against the jsp spec? @support-rkalla wrote:

if you did this in a JSP page marked as an “Error” page used for handling Exceptions, then that is a known bug that we hope to fix.

how do you mark a page as an ‘Error’ page?

#219301 Reply

Riyad Kalla

why? javac compiles it fine, why would myeclipse disagree? is myeclipse going against the jsp spec?

The reconciler (the thing that puts marks in the RIGHT margin) is from IBM, its based on the WTP editors, so its only logical to assume that the logic behind it is from Websphere… so this error might work fine with Jasper2 (Tomcat compiler, subsequently what we use as well since we were sick of people telling us something worked in Tomcat and not MyEclipse) but it won’t run/compile on Websphere… so its best to not have ANY errors… if you get NO compile errors (LEFT margin) then Tomcat will host it fine since it uses the same compiler.

how do you mark a page as an ‘Error’ page?

IIRC, its part of the @page directive.

#219302 Reply

Paul Stanton

@support-rkalla wrote:

The reconciler (the thing that puts marks in the RIGHT margin) is from IBM, its based on the WTP editors, so its only logical to assume that the logic behind it is from Websphere… so this error might work fine with Jasper2 (Tomcat compiler, subsequently what we use as well since we were sick of people telling us something worked in Tomcat and not MyEclipse) but it won’t run/compile on Websphere… so its best to not have ANY errors… if you get NO compile errors (LEFT margin) then Tomcat will host it fine since it uses the same compiler.

ok, i can see where the problem lies but not the logic behind how myeclipse handles it. you may be sick of people saying something doesn’t work in myeclipse, but I’m sure your users are just as sick of saying it. why would i want to support an expensive app server (websphere) by default? surely if this is a websphere specific thing you should add a configuration option to turn it off? imho people who use websphere use wsad therefore limiting their need for myeclipse. your target market or at least the majority of your users are tomcat users I’m sure. myeclipse should stick to the jsp standards by default and THEN OPTIONALLY support proprietary options. This BUG (you may call ‘feature’) is a show stopper for me. I would not install it on my machines knowing i am going to have a heap of bogus errors in my jsps.

#219327 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

ok, i can see where the problem lies but not the logic behind how myeclipse handles it.

There’s actually an open PR targeted for 3.8.3 to remove the reconciler error marker.

why would i want to support an expensive app server (websphere) by default? surely if this is a websphere specific thing you should add a configuration option to turn it off?

Good point. However, it’s not a “Websphere-specific” thing. Handling exception in the generated code for a JSP page is simply something not addressed by the spec. So, in one app server your application won’t run and the page will display an error. In others, like Tomcat, it will be OK. In any case, it certainly is not portable at this point.

imho people who use websphere use wsad therefore limiting their need for myeclipse.

Our sales into large corporations that are WebSphere shops indicates otherwise.

your target market or at least the majority of your users are tomcat users I’m sure.

Agreed. Tomcat and JBoss users are certainly in the majority.

myeclipse should stick to the jsp standards by default and THEN OPTIONALLY support proprietary options.

We do. However, this particular item is outside the spec, as I mentioned above.

This BUG (you may call ‘feature’) is a show stopper for me. I would not install it on my machines knowing i am going to have a heap of bogus errors in my jsps.

Please note that the “bogus errors” are only shown in the JSP editor in the reconciler margin. They are not permanent markers shown in the left margin or in the problems view. As a result, they are only visible when the page is open for modification, not all the time. However, the errors shown by the reconciler should agree with those reported by the compiler, and that will be brought into alignment in 3.8.3 by removing the reconciler error marker also.

#219371 Reply

Paul Stanton

thanks. looking forward to 3.8.3

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: JSP reconciler markers in 3.8.2 [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in