facebook

Long delays after making code changes before any other action is possible

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

philduhs
    Participant

Hello,

After updating to MyEclipse 2021 a few weeks ago I am experiencing long delays (approx. 1 min) after I save any code change before I am able to do anything else in MyEclipse – eg. clear the console, move a file to Git Staged Changes, start/stop the server, etc – basically anything. I was hoping this might be a common bug and resolved via an update but seems not. It’s seriously affecting my productivity (obviously) and need to figure it out. I have attached my log file as there seems to be a new entry in there each time this issue is faced.

Your help appreciated.

Rgds,
    Phil

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by philduhs. Reason: resubmitted log file as '.txt.' as '.log' was rejected
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #674579 Reply

support-swapna

Phil,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue with MyEclipse. Thank you for the log.
    However, it is not complete.

1. Can you please share with us the .bak log file as well located at this location? /Users/****/Documents/Workspaces/SecurePay_2017/.metadata/.bak_0.log

2. Do you see the freeze in a new workspace as well? Switch to a new workspace, import your project and check if you can replicate the freeze.
    If yes, then please attach the log file from the new workspace too.

3. Does it freeze while saving a particular file type or does it happen irrespective of the file type?

4. For UI freezes, we also need the thread dumps to help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the MyEclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of freeze, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#674582 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Here are 6 dumps of the my eclipse PID taken while I was having to wait for a code change.

The first 3 were taken while the Tomcat server was running (as thought this might be an issue) and the second 3 after the server was stopped – and I still see the same problem, so I don’t think it matters if Tomcat is running or not.

The problem seems to be limited to ‘.java’ file changes as changing an ‘.xml’ config file, or a ‘.jsp’ file doesn’t block anything and I can keep working (as I used to be able to do with ‘.java’ files).

Rgds,
    Phil

Attachments:
    #674587 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Remaining 2 PID dumps…

Attachments:
    #674593 Reply

support-swapna

Phil,

Thank you for the logs and the thread dumps.

1. Are you working with a large workspace? i.e large projects with many files? Please share with us more details about the number of projects in the workspace, the size of projects including the number of files (approximately).

2. If you have more than one large projects in the workspace and working with only one project at a time, then please close the other projects.

3. Can you please try the below steps and check if the performance improves?

a. Use “Collapse All” button in the MyEclipse Explorer view to collapse all tree elements.
    b. Turn off “Link with Editor” in MyEclipse Explorer view to not unfold trees and highlight the file when you are working with it in the editor area.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#674598 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Hi,

The workspace only has a single project with approx. 200-250 java class files. There are perhaps 60 JSP files and some XML configuration files. I don’t think it’s big. It was also working without any delay before upgrading to MyEclipse 2021.

Link with Editor is already not selected (but it’s good to know about this feature!)

Did the dumps or the log files help? There seem to be a lot of mentions of “waiting” in there…

Rgds,
    Phil

PS. I would like to remove the ‘bak_log_files.zip’ from a previous message but can’t – can you do that for me please as it contains proprietary information

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by philduhs.
    #674634 Reply

support-swapna

Phil,

The dumps point to a possible refresh actions taking a long time to process, some from STS, some from JDT, but hard to tell which provider is causing it.

1. Do you still experience the freeze after clicking on the ‘Collapse All’?
    2. Did you get a chance to check with a new workspace?

P.S : I have deleted the message along with the log file attachment as I cannot delete just the attachment.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#674636 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for removing that post.

Yes! That seems to be the problem. If I “Collapse All” then the changes happen very quickly and I can carry on working.

Of course it’s not so convenient working this way but is a decent workaround.

Is it a known problem that I can expect will be fixed in an upcoming release? Any idea when if that is the case?

I haven’t tried the new workspace as last time I did that with this project I lost a lot of settings (build configurations??) from memory.

Rgds,
    Phil

#674650 Reply

support-swapna

Phil,

Thank you for confirming that ‘Collapse All’ improves the performance. You are the first one to report this issue and the dev team will definitely look into fixing it.

In the meanwhile, can you please go to Filters and Customization (from the View menu in the MyEclipse Explorer view) , switch to Content tab, uncheck Spring Beans, expand the project structure (basically undoing Collapse All) and check if it still freezes on save?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#674664 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Hi,

No, that doesn’t make a difference. I unchecked Spring Beans but still got a delay after saving a simple code change.

Rgds,
    Phil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Long delays after making code changes before any other action is possible

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in