facebook

Matisse palette not displaying correctly after switching from JDK 1.6 JSE 8

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dfskl
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble seeing the palette and Structure of a Java Swing application correctly.
    Before, it worked fine using Java JDK 1.6.0_17. After switching to jdk1.8.0_66, the palette does not display anymore and the selected Properties for a component are displayed white on white background. Same seems to be the problem with the Palette window. There is a scroobar and the tooltips show up, but the content of the palette seems empty. I had to change a few items (e.g. proxy settings and usernames for security issues in the infos provided below). The two attached screenshots show the problem I am currently facing: no information visible inside the Palette dialog, allthough tooltips show up. I believe it seems to be some rendering issue, allthough the model/data is there.

As a note: I am using
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.8 (Santiago)

Regards, Daniel Clemens

• This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by support-tony. Reason: Removed configuration to attached file
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #493990 Reply

support-swapna

dfskl,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the details and the screenshots. I could not replicate the issue at my end.

Can you please give us some more details ?

1. From the configuration details you sent, it looks like you are working with MyEclipse 2015.What exact changes did you make to the project and the MyEclipse IDE to support Java 8?

2. Can you please clarify if you are seeing the components in the Matisse form’s Design view without any issues?

3. Please send us the .log file located at <workspace dir>/.metadata/.log for further investigation. Also share with us the MyEclipse Version and Build Id details from Help > About MyEclipse section.

Sorry for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#494077 Reply

dfskl
    Participant

Dear Mr/Mrs Swapna,

you can find the .log-file as log.txt attached to this email. I had to rename it due to visibility issues. I created the window yesterday from scratch using the Java8 settings of myEclipse.

I adjusted the used Java-Version by setting the following things:

Window > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs > /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_66
    Window > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs > Execution Environment > jdk1.8.0_66 [perfect match]

If I want to start eclipse, I call an alias, which will just execute the following command:

/opt/eclipse/MyEclipse\ 2015/myeclipse -vm /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_66/bin/java&
    Today I had some hickups on trying to open the design view. It seemed, that my Java-Settings from above were gone, again.
    After re-setting them, the designer opened up, but the palette seemed empty, again. Also the menu buttons of the design-view were only half-visible (lower parts were cut off)
    After hitting the refresh button (F5) in the designer-view, the whole IDE did not respond anymore. I had to force-quit it and restart it.
    The problem of the not correctly rendering Palette remains.
    Btw: you asked, if the components are shown in the “Structure” tab/view: yes, I can see them as expected (see attached screenshot). But as I cannot use the palette, I hand-coded the scrollpane and some other Swing GUI elements.

The installation details are also attached (myEclipse_installationDetails.txt).

Kind regards and thanks a lot for any help.
    Regards,

Daniel Clemens

Attachments:
    #494080 Reply

dfskl
    Participant

Sorry, I had to zip the log files. It seemed your website did not allow them to be attached due to file size restrictions.

Attachments:
    #494099 Reply

support-swapna

Daniel,

Thank you for the files. From the screenshot, I see that you are working with Window Builder and not Matisse forms.Please clarify.

Close all the editors,views and perspectives, delete the contents of the .log file, restart MyEclipse and check if the issue persists. Please send us the .log file again for further investigation.

I could not replicate the issue at my end with the steps you mentioned. Can you please clarify if the issue persists when MyEclipse is configured with JDK 6 or 7 ?

Please switch to a new workspace, create a new project and check if the issue persists. Instead of sending us the configuration information, please share the MyEclipse Version and Build ID from Help > About MyEclipse section.

Sorry for inconvenience caused. Let us know how it works.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#494220 Reply

dfskl
    Participant

I guess I then have mistaken WindowBuilder with Matisse. But as you suggested, I switched back to the older 1.6 Java Version by performing the following steps, and the problem with the faulty display of the palette continued. After searching online and inside the learning center, it seems, that Matisse is deprecated. I guess I should then use the SWT/SwingDesigner instead? Is there a way of somehow converting my single window that I have built up until now into the new format? Or should I start from scratch?
    concerning my problems with the WindowBuilder: if this tool is outdated or no longer supported, it might be a good idear to remove it all together from the myEclipse installation.

#494556 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

dfskl,

Sorry for the delay in replying. We recommend the use of Window Builder over Matisse.

Matisse is deprecated, as you say. It isn’t included by default though can still be installed using the Help->Choose components menu item (it is called the MyEclipse Visual Swing Designer). Our Matisse project, however, is no longer in development, so bugs would not be fixed though we would try to assist as best we can.

WindowBuilder is still actively developed as an eclipse project. In MyEclipse (and eclipse), it is referred to as either the Swing Designer or the SWT Designer (depending on which windowing framework you want to use), under the general WindowBuilder category; for example, select New->Other, then WindowBuilder to see the specific classes you can create. You can also open the appropriate WindowBuilder editor on an existing Java GUI class. Just select the java source file (not the Matisse form file, which should be deleted, if you use WindowBuilder on an existing Matisse form), right click and select Open With->WindowBuilder Editor. Note that MyEclipse needs to be running under a Java level that is at least as recent as that for the project (so, for example, you can’t specify Java 1.8 for the project if you’re running MyEclipse under Java 1.7).

For more information on WindowBuilder, click Help->Help Contents and then go to the WindowBuilder Pro User Guide. For WindowBuilder support, use the eclipse forum for WindowBuilder.

I hope this helps; please let us know if you have more questions on this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Matisse palette not displaying correctly after switching from JDK 1.6 JSE 8

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in