facebook

MATE Linux – a couple of issues with Dev Style

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rjaduthie
    Participant

I am very impressed with the improvements brought by 2017 CI 14 (*) for Linux. There was a lot wrong with clashing backgrounds and text colours for various panels, fields and buttons; a lot of it has been cleared up and work is much smoother (rather than having to squint and shift angle to see which button is “Check Out” and which is “Delete”!).

However, I’ve found a couple of issues still, that I thought you might want to know about.

Firstly, the system I use is CentOS 7.5 Linux with MATE desktop 1.16.2, Eclipse Photon (4.8) and Dev Style 1.11.0.

The two issues are:

1) This ones is actually really annoying and affects the usability of the IDE. When using the Ctrl+F find within the editor, the cursor is black on a dark-grey background, so it’s not easy to tell where in the string your cursor is for editing. I’m not sure if there are other text fields with this same issue, but the Ctrl+F find is one that gets used a lot by me.

2) This ones not a big problem, but I think that the rendering is not as intended. The scroll bars for the editor and some other panels/windows are (I believe) the native ones, which means that there is hidden text and line numbers extend into the scroll bar. To illustrate this I’ve attached a screenshot. The added circle shows where the line numbers are in a strange place. I think this would be cleared up if the theme scroll bars were used, rather than the native desktop ones.

Anyway, apart from these two things, I have to thank you again for the great theme. If I find any other information on these, or similar issues, I’ll extend this thread.

If you want more information, let me know!

(*) Aside: why is it 2017 not 2018? I only just noticed this, but it seems a little odd. No big deal!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #598427 Reply

rjaduthie
    Participant

[UPDATE…I noticed the readme and thought to add the requested information in the requested format]

IDE Package: I’m not sure; I think I used the most basic one, then I added plugins
    IDE Version: Eclipse 4.8 (build: I20180611-0500)
    Relevant Plugins Installed: PyDev 6.5.0 DevStyle 1.11.0

Steps to reproduce: See original post, let me know if you need other information)

#598430 Reply

rjaduthie
    Participant

I just wanted to add that the cursor issue affects a lot more dark-grey text fields – i.e. pretty much all the ones I’ve come across. Is the cursor also dark-grey, as on closer inspection there doesn’t seem to be one.

Incidentally, the Terminal and Console windows have a white cursor, which is very visible and excellent for knowing where you’re selecting/inserting/etc.

#598433 Reply

support-swapna

rjaduthie,

Thank you for your compliments for DevStyle. Sorry that you are seeing issues with cursor and scrollbars.

Thank you for sharing the details and the screenshots. It looks like the issue is specific to your OS and the desktop theme selected. I checked in Windows 10 and the cursor color and scrollbars are fine. We will check with your system config and get back to you soon with our findings.

1. Can you please check if changing the desktop theme to some other theme helps?

2. If the desktop theme switch does not work, then please clarify if you are seeing native scroll bars in specific editors like Java editor or in most of the editors.

3. Also please share with us the Styling shortcode value from the DevStyle > Color Themes preferences page to help us investigate further.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#598439 Reply

rjaduthie
    Participant

Hi Swapna,

Nice speedy response. Thank you!

To answer your questions:

1) In fact, changing the desktop theme does change the cursor colour and I can get a suitable cursor colour that way. The scroll bars change, but they are still the desktop scroll bars. I can find pretty nice compact bars that suit the DevStyle and Eclipse, but I wonder if I’ll encounter an application where they are not ideal (for me, at least).
    2) It’s the same in most of the editors. I’ve tried a Java file, for instance, and its the same.
    3) The code is: ATQAAA

So, what I might do is switch my desktop theme for now. I hope that the information I’ve shared is useful to you in helping make the DevStyle a perfect for all users. It’s certainly pretty good!

All the best

#598440 Reply

support-swapna

rjaduthie,

Thank you for the details. Glad that switching the desktop theme helped fix the cursor color issue.
    I have filed a bug for the dev team to look into both the issues you reported. We will keep you posted about the fix details.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you see any other issues with DevStyle.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: MATE Linux – a couple of issues with Dev Style

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in