facebook

ME 2014 new install fails to load

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

John Hamilton
    Participant

I’ve just installed 2014 (having had problems with 2013 on Ubuntu 14.04) and the ME launcher fails, producing the trace file, renamed and attached.

Please advise how to fix this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #349162 Reply

John Hamilton
    Participant

Background: I have (had) a java development directory containing MyEclipse 2013, a collection of useful jars and my workspace. Fortunately, my workspace was backed up. Having experienced the above problem, I considered installing ME2014 in a different directory. The installation program objected to a second directory and offered the option to uninstall (so I could do a clean install). I took the uninstall option and it performed an unrecoverable erase of the WHOLE of the directory in which ME2014 was installed WITHOUT FURTHER WARNING.

This is BAD practice. There really should be a warning message before any such irreversible action is taken.

The good news is that a clean install seems to work and ME2014 may not suffer from the problem of unexpected termination that plagued ME2013.

Now I have to download all those jars all over again.

#349165 Reply

hamiljf,

Glad that you got it solved. I have filed an Enhancement request regarding the warning during uninstall.

I recommend you not to put any other files/folders in MyEclipse installation folder to avoid any data loss during uninstallation.

Do let us know if you see any issues in MyEclipse.

#349167 Reply

John Hamilton
    Participant

Actually, yes. Got a recurrence of the unexpected exit problem (frequently raised elsewhere), this time when trying to add a javadoc view.

The (default, following installation) vmargs are
    eclipse.vmargs=-Xmx768m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=320m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m

Increasing these to 1024 and 512 made the problem go away, at least for the moment. If the VM is that fragile, I suggest the default vmargs should be changed (at least).

#349191 Reply

hamiljf,

64-bit software really does consume more memory and our tests have shown that the increase can be as high as 30 to 40%. You may need more memory even on a 32-bit install, if you have a large workspace. I suggest you take a look at this FAQ about memory issues.

If you still see any issues after increasing the vm args, please attach the .log file which is located at <workspace dir>/.metadata/.log to help us investigate further.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: ME 2014 new install fails to load

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in