facebook

My Eclipse failing to save preferences on exit.

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

beamrider1

I searched for saving preferences but did not find this problem. If there’s already a thread or a better place to post for this, please point me to it.

Using MyEclipse Version: 8.5 Build id: 8.5-20100319 on a newly reinstalled Windows 7 machine. When first installed, this problem did not occur. Recently (before and after the Window repair reinstall) When I exit MyEclipse, it fails to save its preferences. Looking in the logs, I find many occurrences of the following error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Genuitec\Common\configuration\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine\profileRegistryMeta\com.poweredbypulse.profile-874226-rmb-835216.profile\.data\.settings\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.prefs (Access is denied)

I have ownership of all fonders under my username, so I tried unchecking the attributes option for this file path from “Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)” to be unchecked, and selected the “Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files” option. It ran through the 10,936 Files in 2,006 Folders (do you folks really need all that????) without complaining about any errors, but these directories will not stay unchecked.

I realize this is a Windows 7 problem and I’ve looked for solutions there, which usually suggest taking ownership of the directory and try changing it as described above. I’m hoping that you have a specific solution to this Windows 7 file save problem.

Thanks.

beamrider1

#319756 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

beamrider1,

This is puzzling. None of your changed settings should be saved in a Common folder, rather, they are all saved with the workspace. I couldn’t replicate your problem, although that doesn’t really tell us much, since you said that you had no problem previously with Windows 7 and MyEclipse 8.5. When I try, the equivalent file to the one you had problems with shows a modification time that is the time of my installation, not the most recent run of MyEclipse.

I suggest ensuring you’re up to date with Windows 7 critical fixes and, if so, then re-installing MyEclipse 8.5 and see if the problem persists. A reinstall will not change any settings in your workspace and you can even install without uninstalling, if you wish, by installing to a different location (though the Common location can’t be changed, if you are installing alongside your other install). You might also want to take this opportunity to install the latest 9.1 release.

One other thing occurred to me. I’ve seen mention of odd things happening if you’ve installed MyEclipse by running the installer as Administrator (i.e. right click on the installer and select Run as Administrator) but are running MyEclipse normally, so that might be one thing to check. It doesn’t need to be installed as Administrator. Also, see this FAQ about restrictions on where you can install MyEclipse on Windows 7.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

#320277 Reply

beamrider1

Support:

I tried following Tony’s suggestion and also updating to 8.6.0 as that what all other machines on this project are using–not your latest, I know, but for now consistency is more important than running the newest code. I got the URL for it from sales, downloaded it, and started the install. Unfortunately, this is the log that was generated before the installation stopped with an error message:

!SESSION Thu Oct 06 11:49:48 CDT 2011 ------------------------------------------
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2011-10-06 11:49:48.962
    !MESSAGE Invalid splash path entry: platform\:/base/plugins/org.eclipse.platform
    !SESSION 2011-10-06 11:49:48.915 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.5.0_15
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments:  -noPulseUpdate
    Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -noPulseUpdate

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-10-06 11:49:49.617
    !MESSAGE Bundle reference:file:org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator_1.0.100.v201005252100.jar@1:start not found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.app 0 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.007
    !MESSAGE Product com.genuitec.pulse2.client.launcher.ui.product could not be found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.023
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:236)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:29)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE One or more bundles are not resolved because the following root constraints are not resolved:
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE Bundle reference:file:/C:/Users/JFE/AppData/Local/Genuitec/Pulse Explorer/plugins/org.eclipse.core.net_1.2.1.r35x_20090812-1200.jar was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.core.net 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.equinox.security_[1.0.0,2.0.0).

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE The following is a complete list of bundles which are not resolved, see the prior log entry for the root cause if it exists:
    !MESSAGE Bundle org.eclipse.core.net_1.2.1.r35x_20090812-1200 [50] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.core.net 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.equinox.security_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
    !MESSAGE Bundle org.eclipse.core.net.win32.x86_1.0.0.I20080909 [51] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.core.net.win32.x86 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE Missing host org.eclipse.core.net_1.1.0.
    !MESSAGE Bundle org.eclipse.ui.net_1.2.1.r35x_20090812-1200 [113] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.ui.net 2 0 2011-10-06 11:49:50.038
    !MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.core.net_[1.0.0,2.0.0).

I don’t know if this is related to the write access permission denied problem at the start of this thread, but the installation had no problem creating this log file. I have left the 8.5 version on the machine assuming that 8.6 would install in its own directory as 8.5 has. I don’t know if that may cause some conflicts, but I left it there in case the 8.6 install failed, which is has, so I can continue limping along with 8.5, which I will.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

#320289 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

beamrider1,

It looks like the problem occurred after installation, when the installer tried to start MyEclipse. Do you get the same problem if you try to start it yourself?

It might be caused by a bad install or some files left over from a previous attempt. Can you try running the uninstaller for 8.6 or deleting the specific directory that it installed into (not the Common directory) and then trying the install again?

The same problem has occasionally been reported by users but has always been resolved by a re-install.

There should be no problem with leaving 8.5 installed; they can co-exist.

#320634 Reply

beamrider1

It’s been awhile since I my last post, but the upshot of all this is that Windows itself was screwed up. I started getting infrequent blue screens and went through hardware tests for all drives and memory, and finally decided that something had gotten past the firewalls and anti-virus software and screwed up the OS. So, I have reformatted the drive and am in the process of installing everything, including MyEclipse, again, and it all seems to be working as expected.

Sorry for raising all these questions, but the need for a reformat and restart was not apparent until long after I was seeing the initial problem. Thank you for your assistance, and for anyone following this, installing a fresh version of MyEclipse did fix most of the problems. In my case, installing a fresh copy of Windows fixed the rest of them.

Thanks again for your time.

Beamrider1

#320638 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

beamrider1,

Thanks for letting us know the situation and I’m glad that you’re all up and running again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: My Eclipse failing to save preferences on exit.

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in