facebook

myeclipse 2013 – searching for projects to migrate

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Chris DeGreef
    Participant

This happens every time I save a file. We use clearcase on a remote server and it is known to be slow on any interactions. But this seems to be new to the 2013 release and it takes a minute or two each time.

Is there a way to tell eclipse that I don’t want it to keep checking for additional projects to migrate?

#337940 Reply

support-swapna

obdobion,

We do not provide intrinsic support for third party plugins but we will try to assist you in this case.

I am not sure if Eclipse has a setting to stop checking for additional projects to migrate apart from specifying resources to ignore from Windows > Preferences > Team > Ignored Resources. I suggest you cross post to Eclipse forums about this option as this is an Eclipse question.

Regarding the delay in the interactions, we will investigate and get back to you.
    Also please share your OS and version details.

Sorry for inconvenience caused.

#338140 Reply

Haggi
    Participant

same problem here .. everytime i saved a file i see “Searching for projects to migrate”

We do not provide intrinsic support for third party plugins but we will try to assist you in this case.

Which third party plugin do this mirgration check?

#338230 Reply

support-swapna

wolski,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

1. Are you also working with Clear Case plugin ?
    2. Can you please check if you see the same issue on Eclipse 3.8, which is the base for MyEclipse 2013 ?

If yes, then I suggest cross posting to Eclipse forums as it is an Eclipse issue.

#338402 Reply

Haggi
    Participant

no clearcase plugin installed … it would be great if we found a solution, because it’s really annoying

#338454 Reply

support-swapna

wolski,

Can you please let us know if projects were migrated in the workspace and is the Project Migration view open?
    If the Project Migration view is open, can you try closing the view and see if it helps ?

If closing the Project Migration view did not help, if possible please prepare a workspace containing a project which exhibits the behavior and attach it for us to take a look.

Also share the Installation Details from MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details.

Let us know how it works for you.

#338472 Reply

steveh
    Participant

@support-swapna wrote:

If the Project Migration view is open, can you try closing the view and see if it helps ?

I had this problem and found that I had this view open in another perspective. Closing it there caused the problem to go away.

Spoke too soon… I think it made it go away for simple file saves, but not for operations such as renaming files or doing a search and replace on multiple files.

#338513 Reply

support-swapna

steveh,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. I could not replicate the issues at my end when the ‘Project Migration’ view is closed.

1. Do you see this issue only when working with a previous version workspace or with a new workspace as well ?
    2. If it is a previous workspace, then did you migrate all the projects?
    3. Can you please if possible prepare a workspace with a project which exhibits the issue and attach it for us to replicate the issue at our end.
    4. Also share the MyEclipse Installation Details from MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details.

#338543 Reply

jdemilner

I am having the same problem as the other people here. i am not using any clearcase plugins, just an out of the box Eclipse 3.8.2 and MyEclipse 2013 installed through the update site. I opened a previous workspace and am working with previous projects.

Just tried this again with a new workspace and a new project (newly downloaded from svn) and am still getting this.

#338584 Reply

support-swapna

jdemilner,

We have raised a bug for this issue and the dev team is investigating it.
    Sorry for inconvenience caused.

#338599 Reply

Brian Fernandes

The “searching for projects to migrate” operation is a very efficient and lightweight operation that should take only a few milliseconds to execute. We are working on improving efficiency further for the 2013 SR1 release due in a few weeks.

Why the operation may appear to take longer is because it typically waits for an opportunity to execute and so it could appear in the Progress area for a longer time, while waiting for other processes to complete execution, after which it should execute and complete quickly.

Can you please open the Progress view and observe this process in more detail? You should see it with a (blocked) or (waiting) suffix, indicating that it is waiting for a suitable time to execute – it is not actually active or doing anything yet, so definitely not consuming resources. However, if you actually notice it without this suffix in the execution mode (the progress bar for this job will indicate this) for a considerable amount of time, please snap a screenshot of the view / workbench and attach it to this post. Please also mention, if possible, the action you took that lead to the job executing.

#338679 Reply

steveh
    Participant

I’m currently using a not-very-fast Windows XP box, which may explain why I have seen this more often for a small number of seconds when the load is higher. See the attached image.

For every file save there is a sequence of “Refresh SVN status cache”, “Refreshing external folders” and “Searching for projects to migrate” events, which is slowing me down somewhat. A refactoring that involves multiple files causes them to fire several times. The external folders one is the slowest – I have one external folder in the build path but I can’t see why this should take several seconds to run even with negligible load.

The project was originally created in 10.7 and then migrated when I upgraded to 2013. There are 3 closed projects which have all been migrated too, in case that matters. Subclipse is the only external plugin I have.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #338690 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Steve,

Thank you for writing in – this is exactly the kind of feedback we need. Of the operations you mentioned, we should only be responsible for the project migration search task though I’m unsure at this time if we schedule a refresh as well. Were the refresh operations not taking place when you were using 10.x? (I’m not too sure about Subclipse and external folder behavior).

On the external folders, are these links to other folders on the same system? Or are these network folders?

#338733 Reply

steveh
    Participant

In 10.x I only remember seeing the occasional SVN refresh, not the others, and these always go through quickly so it’s not a problem.

The external folder refresh is the one that’s hitting me hardest at the moment. I have one single local folder on the build path containing a single properties file. When this kicks it it uses all the CPU for several seconds while the refresh takes place. I’ve seen reports elsewhere of this problem being linked to attaching source to a jar, but I don’t have this done in this project. If I turn off “build automatically” then it doesn’t happen.

#338909 Reply

Haggi
    Participant

it would be cool if the auto-searching task only starts once you open up myeclipse.
    and if you want you can do a manual search for projects to mirgrate.

All of my projects are mirgrated and the task search for projects again and again and checks the migrated projects every time.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: myeclipse 2013 – searching for projects to migrate

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in