facebook

MyEclipse 2015 CI 17: Tomcat deploy very slow

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Luis Pedro
    Participant

Hello,

after updating to CI 17 a couple of days ago, I noticed that Tomcat became considerably slower when deploying my Spring MVC application. Went from the 20-30 seconds range I had with CI 16 to the 70-90 seconds range. This came up immediately after update, and there were no significant modifications in the application itself between the last deploy that took 20-30 secs (before the update) and the one that took 70+ secs (after the update).

Anybody else seeing this? Any idea of why this might be happening?

Version: 2015 CI 17
    Build id: 13.0.0-20151119
    Windows 10 pro

#458936 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Luis,

We did make a change in CI 17, with the “Run As” behavior, which will wait until the application has been fully deployed before opening a browser. This should not affect deployment, but I’d like a few questions answered:

a) What do you mean by “deployment takes 90 seconds”, exactly. Are you looking at specific console output that indicates completion of deployment? Or are you looking at the “Deployed” state in the Servers view? Or, perhaps are you waiting for the browser to open?

b) How are you deploying your application? Do you use Run As > MyEclipse Server Application or are you deploying the application from the Servers view or the Deployment wizard and then opening it manually?

c) You can switch back to CI 16 using the Help > Check for Updates action, selecting the “2015 CI – October 21, 2015” version and choosing Lock. If you do go back to CI 16, does the problem go away?

Appreciate you bringing this to our attention – sorry for the inconvenience caused.

#458941 Reply

Luis Pedro
    Participant

Hi Brian,

thanks for answering. So:

a) the console indicates:

Nov 25, 2015 12:49:54 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
    INFO: Deployment of web application directory C:\MyEclipse2015CI\.metadata\.me_tcat7\webapps\oligoWorld has finished in 93,548 ms

What I mean by “takes 90 seconds” is that when I tell eclipse to run the application, it takes 90 secs for the application context to be loaded and available (irrespective of when the browser opens — I am not using the browser inside eclipse anyway). I am not considering the time it takes to _publish_ the application, but only the time it takes for tomcat to go from stopped to a state where the application is available (when the above message appears).

b) I am using “Run As -> MyEclipse Server Application”. Sometimes, I just stop and restart Tomcat if the application was already published and only needs to be reloaded for the changes in the classes to take effect (I am aware of the hot deployment option – I found however it gave me more problems than it solved, so I deactivated it).

c) I will try reverting to CI 16 when possible. Unfortunately I’m in the middle of a big refactor, it’s not the best of times now, sorry.

All things considered, I cannot exclude this may be due to other factors on my machine / in my application; just wanted to give you a heads up in case other people experience similar issues.

As a side question, do you think tweaking Eclipse’s or Tomcat’s memory setting help speed up the startup? Tomcat’s Java process currently tops at 2.7Gb memory during startup; I am running it with -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m (default configuration otherwise). MyEclipse itself is running with -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m. Anything too big/too small which may affect Tomcat startup?

Thanks, regards.

#459013 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Luis,

Thank you for all the details – from your responses, it does look like the increased deployment time can be attributed to changes in your application, not changes in MyEclipse. Have you had any luck since in narrowing it down?

As far as your memory settings are concerned, it does look like you’re giving MyEclipse quite a bit of Heap and beyond that it depends on how much physical memory your machine has. However, if this is what you were using earlier as well, it shouldn’t make a difference with CI 17.

Hope this helps.

#459490 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Luis,

Just checking in – did you figure out what was causing the delay?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse 2015 CI 17: Tomcat deploy very slow

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in