facebook

MyEclipse 8.6 editor niggles

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

steveh
    Participant

There are a few annoying editor niggles in MyEclipse, some going back quite a few versions. It would make my life so much easier if these could finally get sorted.

MyEclipse Visual HTML designer

– Home, End, ctrl-left and ctrl-right (and possibly other similar keys) don’t work when in the design panel. The editor seems to think you are in the HTML panel and the actions for these keys take place there instead.

– <br /> tags get unnecessarily added to the end of block elements, such as paragraphs or headings when typing text just before the element’s closing tag.

MyEclipse CSS editor

– Performance of the editor is terrible on long files. The main CSS file for a big webapp is 6,300 lines long and it can take one or two seconds for each keypress to register. Performance is also poor in the MyEclipse XML Editor on long files, which may be related.

– Pasting a line into a CSS definition frequently results in an extra tab being added in front of the line following.

MyEclipse JavaScript editor

– Even with the formatter settings set to ‘Next line’ for Blocks, hitting return after an ‘if’ line results in an indent of the brace.

It also bugs me a little that while in core Eclipse a change in case is treated as a word break (e.g. when using ctrl-right / left in filename dialogs) this isn’t usually the case in the MyEclipse extensions. It would be nice if it was consistent throughout.

#312199 Reply

steveh,

MyEclipse Visual HTML designer

Can you clarify if the version and build id of MyEclipse is Version: 8.6
    Build id: 8.6-20100806? You can find the details under Help -> About MyEclipse Edition. If not the same please update MyEclipse.

MyEclipse CSS editor

The log file can be found at the following location : <workspace>\.metadata\.log. Please clear the log file and then check if any specific errors are logged while you work on the CSS editor. If you find any then please send us the log file. If not then send us the CSS file which you are trying to work with.

Send the file to support@genuitec.com with ATTN:Shalini as subject.

Please check the formatter settings at Windows -> Preferences -> MyEclipse -> Files and Editors -> Javascript -> Formatter. Did you try editing the Eclipse[bulit-in] profile or create a new profile and make the changes to the Blocks? We can edit the Eclipse[bulit-in] but cannot save it. So we need to create a new profile and make the required changes to Blocks. Also the formatter is applied only when you select the code and format it or when you format the file.

Attached are the screenshot.

Also please elaborate on the word break issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #312210 Reply

steveh
    Participant

@support-shalini wrote:

Can you clarify if the version and build id of MyEclipse is Version: 8.6
    Build id: 8.6-20100806? You can find the details under Help -> About MyEclipse Edition. If not the same please update MyEclipse.

This is Build id: 8.6-20100806.

MyEclipse CSS editor

The log file can be found at the following location : <workspace>\.metadata\.log. Please clear the log file and then check if any specific errors are logged while you work on the CSS editor. If you find any then please send us the log file. If not then send us the CSS file which you are trying to work with.

No errors occur in the log related to the CSS editor or during its use. You can replicate the problem by pasting any CSS into the editor so it reaches a few thousand lines, with the responsiveness to keypresses getting worse the longer the file gets. It’s also worse when entering CSS selectors or adding a new declaration at the end of an existing ruleset – when other declarations follow then it responds fine. I’ll dig out the file and send you too.

Please check the formatter settings at Windows -> Preferences -> MyEclipse -> Files and Editors -> Javascript -> Formatter. Did you try editing the Eclipse[bulit-in] profile or create a new profile and make the changes to the Blocks? We can edit the Eclipse[bulit-in] but cannot save it. So we need to create a new profile and make the required changes to Blocks. Also the formatter is applied only when you select the code and format it or when you format the file.

This was after creating a new profile in the formatter, but from what you say it sounds like that isn’t the problem.

The behaviour I’m looking for is for it to do the same as when editing a Java file – hitting return after an ‘if’ starts a new line with one indent, then entering an opening brace clears that indent and places the brace underneath the ‘if’, then entering a return moves to the next line indented and creates a closing brace. i.e. you end up with

____if (true)
    ____{
    ________|
    ____}

Also please elaborate on the word break issue.

What I meant was that ctrl-right or ctrl-left should stop when the case changes in a word. e.g. in the Java editor if the cursor is at the end of ‘commandAction’ then ctrl-left will position the cursor before Action. In the MyEclipse-specific editors (JavaScript, CSS, XML, etc) the behaviour is different. I thought there were also cases where this happened in dialogs but I think I was getting confused – it’s the editors where this is an issue.

#312240 Reply

steveh,

I have logged a PR with the development team.

#312277 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Steve,

On the CSS editor, is your Outline view open? If so, can you close the outline view, restart MyEclipse (just to be sure) and see if the slow down still persists?

#312328 Reply

steveh
    Participant

[quote=”Support-Brian”On the CSS editor, is your Outline view open? If so, can you close the outline view, restart MyEclipse (just to be sure) and see if the slow down still persists?

I switched to a different perspective that didn’t have the outline view open, restarted eclipse and then opened the CSS file and the slowdown was still present.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse 8.6 editor niggles

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in