facebook

MyEclipse VERY, VERY slow to start

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mork
    Participant

MyEclipse takes forever to start. I have an extremely fast machine with 128 GB RAM and MyEclipse is the slowest program on the entire computer. Not sure why it takes SO VERY long to start, but wanted to mention this as others have as well.

#613252 Reply

support-swapna

Mork,

Sorry that you are seeing this problem with MyEclipse.

1. Can you please clarify if you have upgraded to the latest MyEclipse 2019.4.0? Are you seeing this problem only recently? If you are not on the latest release, then please share your current MyEclipse version details from Help > About MyEclipse section.
    2. Does it take a long time to get to the workspace selection dialog? or does it take a long time to load the workspace as well? Approximately how much time does it take?
    3. Once the workspace loads, do you see any further performance issues when editing/saving files or building the projects etc?
    4. Please try increasing the -Xmx value in the myeclipse.ini file located in your MyEclipse installation directory and check if it helps.
    5. If the slowness persists, then please send us 3-4 thread dumps when MyEclipse is slow. It would help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the MyEclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of slowness, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#613253 Reply

Mork
    Participant

1. Yes, latest version, 2019 4.0. Not a recent issue.

2. When starting MyE, the splash screen stays on the screen at least 5 seconds. From there, it takes another 6 – 7 seconds to load the workspace. Is this the expected start-up time?

3. Once the workspace loads, then things work OK.

4. I assume you mean the file: “/Applications/MyEclipse CI/MyEclipse CI.app/Contents/Profile/eclipse.ini”. I don’t seem to have a “myeclipse.ini”. The current value for -Xmx in that file is -Xmx2048m. Doubling that value to 4096m made no difference.

Based on your reply to this message (that is, my reply here), I’ll send you the stack dumps.

Thanks very much for your terrific replies and help. 🙂

— M

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Mork.
    #613255 Reply

support-swapna

Mork,

Thank you for the details.
    The startup time you are seeing is actually pretty good and expected. It usually takes several seconds depending on the workspace size and the plugins installed.

Please let us know if you see any other issues.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#613267 Reply

Mork
    Participant

OK, good to know. I never actually knew the expected start up time.

Thanks Swapna.

– m

#632037 Reply

rubens-gomes
    Participant

I am a licensed user (Blue License) of MyEclipse. I have the latest MyEclipse version (see below) installed on a Microsft Windows 7 Professional. It is taking about 8+ minutes for the application to start. Why does it take so long? What can I do to troubleshoot this issue? I have seen other people complaining of the same problem but no specific solution?

MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: CI 2019.4.0
    Build id: 16.0.0-20190403
    Java version: 11.0.2

Thanks,

Rubens Gomes

#632045 Reply

support-swapna

Rubens,

Sorry that you are seeing problems with MyEclipse.

Can you please give us some more details to help us investigate further?

1. Is the 8+ mins from the splash screen to workspace being loaded in the IDE or from the splash screen to the point where you choose the workspace location? Once the workspace loads, is the performance good or are you seeing any slow down on further actions like editing,saving files etc?

2. If you have installed DevStyle, then did you also install Icon Designer as well? We do have reports of slow down due to Icon Designer.
    To check, go to Help > Install New Software and click the “already installed” link at the bottom. Then type “DevStyle” in the filter, and see if “DevStyle – Icon Designer” shows up in the list. If it does, uninstall it and restart. Does this improve your startup performance?

3. Any other third party plugins installed? Any Anti Virus software running?

4. Is the Windows Defender enabled on your machine? We have a post on Windows Defender causing slow starts. Please read and see if making the suggested changes helps : https://www.genuitec.com/stop-slow-eclipse-myeclipse-startups/

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse VERY, VERY slow to start

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in