facebook

NullPointerException publishing to Tomcat 7 in ME 2016 CI 4

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Dwight
    Participant

I just upgraded from CI 3 to CI 4, and now when I try to publish to Tomcat 7 server, it fails with a nullpointerexception. HELP!! I can’t do any testing!

I tried toggling the “CodeLive” setting, seen by rt-clicking on the Tomcat 7 Server entry, but I get the identical error & trace in either case. (I have been running with it off, AFAIK)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.server.core 4 0 2016-07-10 12:08:12.411
    !MESSAGE Could not publish to the server.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at com.genuitec.eclipse.jee.common.core.LivePreviewEnablementUtil.isSupported(LivePreviewEnablementUtil.java:108)
    	at com.genuitec.eclipse.jee.common.core.LivePreviewEnablementUtil.isEnabled(LivePreviewEnablementUtil.java:48)
    	at com.genuitec.eclipse.webclipse.livepreview.common.LPMappingService.isLPEnabled(LPMappingService.java:222)
    	at com.genuitec.eclipse.webclipse.livepreview.common.LPMappingService.getTimestampForProject(LPMappingService.java:212)
    	at com.genuitec.eclipse.webclipse.livepreview.deploy.InjectCSSIDFlatFile.getModificationStamp(InjectCSSIDFlatFile.java:149)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.web.internal.deployables.FlatComponentDeployable$ComponentModuleResource.getModificationStamp(FlatComponentDeployable.java:387)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ServerPublishInfo.getDelta(ServerPublishInfo.java:448)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ServerPublishInfo.getDelta(ServerPublishInfo.java:455)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ServerPublishInfo.getDelta(ServerPublishInfo.java:455)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ModulePublishInfo.fillCache(ModulePublishInfo.java:436)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ModulePublishInfo.getDelta(ModulePublishInfo.java:516)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ServerPublishInfo.getDelta(ServerPublishInfo.java:410)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.getPublishedResourceDelta(Server.java:1614)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.getPublishedResourceDelta(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:705)
    	at org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.internal.TomcatServerBehaviour.getPublishedResourceDelta(TomcatServerBehaviour.java:655)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.computeDelta(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:889)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish2(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:933)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:782)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:3363)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:360)
    	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

I’ve attached the ME install details file.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #489884 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

Do you have any servers defined in the Servers view that are not supported by MyEclipse?
    Can you please let us know what other servers are present in the Servers view apart from Tomcat 7 ? Are all these servers added to MyEclipse using the MyEclipse Server connectors?

Can you please switch to a new workspace, configure the external Tomcat 7 and see if the issue with CodeLive persists? If the issue persists, then please share with us the complete log file located at <workspace dir>/.metadata/.log for further investigation.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Let us know how it works.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#489901 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Dwight,

To add more context, we did find a bug in the enablement code that can fail if you have a server connector that isn’t fully “configured”. This can happen if you used the same workspace with other Eclipse tooling and configured a server connector which is not present in MyEclipse. We do use the same metadata, so MyEclipse detects the configuration but cannot go further and fails in this particular case.

We are looking into fixing this right now, but as Swapna suggested, the workaround for now is to delete the other connectors – I believe you should see them in the servers view.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

#490050 Reply

Dwight
    Participant

Thanks for the good info. In the meantime, I had tried some other changes. I managed to get it working by removing my deployment, doing a ‘clean’ build, doing Publish on the server with no app deployed, then deploying my app and doing Publish a second time — that worked for a while. Then I ran into the same error today, so I will try the new workspace approach.

The only servers showing are MyEclipse Derby and MyEclipse Tomcat v7.0. I’m using the “internal” Tomcat 7, the one that deploys in {workspace}/.me_tcat7.

BTW, I’m running with JRebel, so I have “Never publish automatically” set in the Tomcat 7 settings. (This is a JRebel requirement.)
    Also, I publish the deployment in exploded format.

#490083 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

Thank you for the details.The dev team is looking into the issue. While we investigate it, please let us know how it works for you in a new workspace.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#490338 Reply

Dwight
    Participant

I created a new workspace and imported two of my projects (which were failing) into it, and it seems to be running fine.
    Not sure why, but the ME Derby server is no longer listed in the server window, only Tomcat 7.

FWIW, most of the time when the NPE occurred (i.e., every time I saved a change while the server was running), I could continue working by just Ok’ing the pop-up. Seems like it was only on the initial deployment of the app to Tomcat when the NPE prevented the publish from completing and I had to get around it using the steps I outlined in the post above (7/11 8:39p).

thanks again for the help.

#490391 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

Thank you for getting back to us.

About the MyEclipse Derby server, did you see the MyEclipse Derby listed when the new workspace is opened and did it later disappear from the list ? Can you please check if its hidden? In the Servers view, click on the inverted triangle icon, select Hide Embedded Servers and check if MyEclipse Derby is selected. Attached is the screenshot for your reference.

Close the Servers view and reopen it from menu Window > Show View > Servers and check if MyEclipse Derby is listed.

If the above suggestions do not help, then can you please create another workspace and check if the MyEclipse Derby is missing? Please send us the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log for further investigation.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Let us know how it works.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Attachments:
    #490415 Reply

Dwight
    Participant

Actually I don’t mind that it’s not listed — i never use it! 🙂 I didn’t know about the “hide embedded servers” option. I just checked, and the only one listed in Tomcat v7. AFAIK Derby was missing as soon as I created the new workspace — i don’t recall ever seeing it.

I closed the Servers window, then re-added it using Window > Show View > Servers, and it’s still missing, and still not in the “hide embedded” list.

I just created another new workspace (empty directory), and as soon as ME started up, the Servers window had only Tomcat in it. Don’t know if this is relevant, but I looked in Preferences | MyEclipse | Servers | Runtime Environments, and there’s only an entry for Tomcat there.

At some time in the past, I had tried to get rid of the Derby server entry; at that time a suggestion was to edit {install}/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info and comment out the line(s) referencing derby. But I looked just now, and I’m guessing the bundles.info has been replaced by one or more updates, as there are no lines commented out. And Derby WAS listed in my old workspace (the one getting the NPEs).

I’ve attached the log from the new workspace creation, and screen shot. As I said, I don’t really care, I don’t see any current or future need for it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Dwight. Reason: zipped the log file
    Attachments:
    #490598 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

Thank you for the details and the screenshot.

It might be possible that the MyEclipse Derby is broken and the NPEs you are seeing in the older workspace are related to it.

Please go to menu Help > About MyEclipse section, click on ‘Installation Details’ and switch to the Plug-ins tab. In the filter text box, type com.genuitec.eclipse.derby and check if the MyEclipse Derby is listed.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#492465 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

MyEclipse 2016 CI 5 is out with the fix for the NPE issue you are seeing.Please go to Help > Check for Updates , update to CI 5 and check if you are still seeing the NPEs while publishing to Tomcat.

Thank you for your patience. Let us know how it works for you.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#493397 Reply

Dwight
    Participant

I haven’t gotten the NPEs since creating the new workspace (as reported in my 7/14 post). CI 5 is running fine.

Re the Derby server entry missing, I don’t really care, but if you want me to provide more documentation I can. I did check the Installation Details/plugins tab and the filter you gave (com.genuitec.eclipse.derby) had no matching entries.

#493479 Reply

support-swapna

Dwight,

Glad that MyEclipse 2016 CI 5 works.Regarding the missing MyEclipse Derby, please refer to my response here : https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/db-browser-tableobject-info-errors-on-first-use/

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: NullPointerException publishing to Tomcat 7 in ME 2016 CI 4

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in