facebook

Numerous UI Problems With MacOS Big Sur, Please Help!

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

gcrider
    Participant

Hi, I’m running the latest 2020.9.16 version build-id 16.0.0-20200916.

My Macbook Pro is now running Big Sur. This has caused lots of problems with the eclipse UI:

1) If I’m editing several Java classes, over time, the line numbers disappear, along with the little tick marks on the right margin to indicate things such as the location of highlighted keywords. The only fix is to enter full screen mode, and then return to a normal zoom. Then the screen refreshes, and the line numbers reappear.

2) The whole balanced bracket detection is SUPER slow. If you type an opening { for example when writing javadoc like this:

{@link String}

by the time you type the closing } the cursor hesitates, goes back to the opening {, hesitates, and returns to the position where you last typed. This is what it should do but it takes a long time; around 1.5 to 2 seconds. When this happens, if you were to keep typing, the new letters don’t appear while it hesitates, and then suddenly they all gush out.

This behavior occurs with anything that requires balancing: ( ), [ ], { }, etc.

3) This one I think is somewhat related to (2). Sometimes when you got to edit an existing line, there is a ghosting of sorts with the characters at the end of the line. Here’s an example of what I mean. Assume this is the line I want to edit:

public void determinant()

Now let’s say I want to move the cursor in between the t and (, and type in Lookup, this is what it will start to look like:

public void determinantL>>>>>

The screen doesn’t show what I’m actually typing, it shows a > each time I type. Once I move the cursor off somewhere else, it goes back to normal:

public void determinantLookup()

4) The next one is hard to describe, and it hasn’t been easy to get a screen capture. This happens when editing any file (java, javascript, etc). It’s as though a bunch of lines have collapsed down to be hidden away; like when you get the little + or – circle icon on the left margin. However, you don’t see any icons. The line number appears sequential. You start to type on the line of interest, and it appears to be in the wrong part of you code. However, once you start typing, the screen rearranges itself, and the line appears where you expect it to be in your code.

There are times when this occurs, and I can see right away that my target line of code is not where it should be. Then I’ll click the line above, or off in the left margin, or just fiddle around in the general area until things get restored.

Sorry that I can’t tell you a way to reproduce errors 1 3, and 4. In general, it appears the changes within Big Sur have greatly affected the UI behaviors eclipse relies upon in MacOS. All of these defects are seriously hampering productivity. I hope you will be able to figure out what’s going on.

Oh, as an aside. I generally leave my Macbook Pro running all the time (except when it goes to sleep on its own after 2 hours of inactivity). The myeclipse IDE is always running with the latest files that were being worked on left open. Sometimes, the same files can be left open for days depending up the nature of the work being done.

Thanks

#668471 Reply

Brian Fernandes

gc,

Thank you for the detailed report. We’ve been able to replicate some of these issues and realize that the experience is quite terrible. The crux of the matter is that Eclipse isn’t ready for Big Sur yet, there are numerous bugs in the current stable release like this one: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=567615 Consequently, MyEclipse suffers as well.

The good news is that the next release of Eclipse, 2020-12, due in a couple of weeks has these issues fixed. We’re attempting to make these fixes available to our users ASAP – currently testing some workarounds right now.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused – we’ll update this thread as soon as a reliable fix is available.

#668472 Reply

gcrider
    Participant

Brian, thanks for the response. Much appreciated! It seemed apparent that the eclipse core was to blame. I can definitely tough it out until the 2020-12 release, since it is to be released soon. When this occurs, will their be an update to MyEclipse? How does that work?

Again, really appreciate you getting back with me.

#668528 Reply

Brian Fernandes

gc,

We’re currently working towards a solution that should hopefully allow you to “patch” your existing install, bringing key Big Sur fixes from the 2020-12 release back to your specific version of MyEclipse. More details as soon as we have something to share.

#668541 Reply

gcrider
    Participant

Oh sweet! Thank you guys! You rule!!!

#668936 Reply

Brian Fernandes

gcrider,

Please see this post for a fix: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/fix-myeclipse-on-big-sur/
    Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Thank you for your patience!

#668959 Reply

gcrider
    Participant

Wow! I just applied the patch, and noticed an immediate improvement with the sluggishness. Some of my other reported defects take time to materialize. I’ll provide more feedback over the next few days. In the meantime, thank you all very, very much for this update!!!

#669069 Reply

gcrider
    Participant

Further update. The patch has definitely fixed the issues listed in the OP. It even addressed a few similar problems that existed prior to the Big Sur upgrade.

One thing I’ve noticed now, however, is that the MyEclipse SQL and Visual SQL editors don’t work. I can only open .SQL files with a straight text editor. When attempting to open a SQL file with in the SQL editors, a blank screen appears with a simple X (close) button on the tab (no file name as the title). Would you mind verifying this for me? I do use these editors.

Thanks!

#669070 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Thank you for letting us know – good to know the initial set of issues is fixed. I’ll get our team to test the SQL editors – were these working before you applied the patch? Can you please send us your latest error log from [workspace_location]/.metadata/.log? That will hopefully tell us what’s going wrong.

#669076 Reply

Aaron Lara

gcrider,

We have a fix for the SQL editor, you just need to download this patch then run it but this time like this:
    java -jar myeclipse-bigsur.jar --update

Please let us know if that fixes your SQL Editor, Thanks!

#669320 Reply

gcrider
    Participant

Thank you guys! Sorry for not getting the log file to you. I was just about to post it, and saw that you had a patch. The patch works great, and the SQL editor is back to its old self.

I really appreciate how quickly you turned all of this stuff around!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Numerous UI Problems With MacOS Big Sur, Please Help!

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in