facebook

PDE bug hit with default MyEclipse 2018 CI install

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gregory
    Participant

The default install directory on Windows is %LOCALAPPDATA%/MyEclipse CI/

Note the space in the directory name. This breaks the standard PDE plugin with the stack trace from this recently filed Eclipse bug [1].

How can I safely change the install directory without having to start over? It’s taken me two full days of work to get all my projects compiling again, since the installer doesn’t do any migration of installed plugins or project plugin config. I’ve especially had issues with Apache projects that use SVN. Now I’m ready to build, but their Ant tasks can’t run because of this bug.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=536611

#597609 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Gregory,

I can understand the pain of finding this issue late, after you’ve spent days on the setup. With future versions of MyEclipse, this will be less of a problem as Eclipse has moved away from the “yearly major” release model and it should be possible to simply keep updating your existing install. I have not evaluated the Eclipse bug you’ve pointed to, I assume you’ve already considered workarounds for it, so I’ll move on to moving MyEclipse.

Changing the installation directory is not something I would recommend, but you could try these steps:
    1) Make a copy of your %LOCALAPPDATA%/MyEclipse CI/ folder into the desired destination.

I say copy (and not move) so you can go back to your original installation if necessary.

In the new location:
    2) Edit myeclipse.ini – correct the path specified in the -install argument.
    Also add a -clean flag just before the -startup flag. You can remove this clean flag after the first time the IDE starts.

3) Edit configuration/config.ini – correct the path of the com.genuitec.pulse.profile.install.directory property

4) Start MyEclipse from the new location.

I hope this is enough to keep you going.

#597794 Reply

Gregory
    Participant

I ended up getting things working, but only by doing the following:

1. Install MyEclipse 2018 CI fresh into a directory path that did not include any spaces (default directory the installer wants to create has a space, PDE and others don’t like it). [1]
    2. Re-install my desired plugins
    3. Manually select and install an older version of Ivy from the Ivy repo site, version 2.4 not the latest 2.5rc1 that Eclipse wants to select by default when installing IvyDE. This is because the latest has a bug that prevents dependency resolution when including GWT [2].

After these steps I was able to successfully compile a large Ant based project and an even larger Ivy one.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=536611
    [2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51043863/ivy-unresolved-dependencies-gwt-2-7-0

#597891 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Gregory,

I’m assuming my notes on how to move the install did not work as desired and you had to start from a fresh install anyway?

Thank you for getting back with your notes on these Eclipse bugs that other customers might also be running into.

#597905 Reply

Gregory
    Participant

I’m not sure I tested your instructions in a very clean environment, as I’d already tried a couple things to get past the issues I was seeing. Combined with the Ivy issue, I gave up trying to recover that installation and just started over with what I’d learned, and it went much better. The key is to change the default install path to remove the space in the directory name, as some core PDE component doesn’t like it now.

#597914 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Thanks for the update, Gregory – sometimes the clean approach saves more time in the long run.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: PDE bug hit with default MyEclipse 2018 CI install

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in