facebook

Problem starting Eclipse – JVM terminated. Exit code=1

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

I had Eclipse up but wasn’t using it for awhile, then hit the icon to start it again (on Windows NT). I got a dialog box that said “JVM terminated. Exit code=1 C:\WINNT\System32\javaw.exe” followed by some invocation parms. I figured no harm done, since it was already up, but I brought it down just to make a clean start. I tried starting it up again and I got the same dialog box. I shut down my machine and restarted, same problem.

Any idea what might be the problem? I’m guessing something has been set somewhere and needs to be cleared, but I have no idea what.

TIA,

Russ

#196641 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Seems I ran into this problem on my machine awhile back after I shuffled some JVM’s or something. If memory serves, you’re getting an old version of java or something. What do you get when you type:
    c:\winnt\system32\javaw.exe -version?

It also seems that one of my Java registry keys somehow got set that I had version 1.2 installed. Anyway, I think I fixed it by installing the latest JDK, but your problem may be different. Have you installed any Oracle products lately? They’re notorious for installing an OLD version of java and putting it on the front of the path. Just a thought.

I am pretty sure it’s a JDK version thing though. Eclipse requires 1.3.1 or later.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196665 Reply

puneet.gupta

Remove all the Windows java files from the System32 directory and install the latest jdk from sun. Then start the Eclipse, it will run.

#196685 Reply

I think I found my fix for this. I had tried removing the javaw from SYSTEM32, and reinstalling, etc. but that didn’t work. When I did that, and from that point on I got “A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK mustbe available in order to run Eclipse.” So, eventually, I changed my PATH setting to include the jre in my JDK. I’m not sure if it’s fixed everything, but it allows me to bring up the system again.

#196686 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Russ,

Good to hear. As you found out, it’s generally a good practice for Java developers to put their preferred JRE on the path, rather than taking “whatever” is down in System32 on a Windows box.

Glad you’re up and running.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#276759 Reply

veenabalaji

This fixed the problem for me..
    In the shorcut for starting Eclipse, I added these additional parameters in the target.
    -vmargs -Xms256m

#276823 Reply

Loyal Water

Thanks for posting your findings. I’m sure this would be helpful to other users.

#291955 Reply

volley67

I got the same error message and solved it by starting eclipse with the -clean parameter. Once started, remove the -clean parameter.

I got the clue from <a href=”http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/initial-contribution/IBM/Getting%20Started.html”>Eclipse Web Tooling Platform</a>
    …you’ll need to launch eclipse with the -clean flag to allow the environment to detect the new plugins. Subsequent launching of eclipse won’t require the -clean flag.

I hope it helps!
    Pat

#291959 Reply

Loyal Water

Glad you got the issue sorted out.

#300539 Reply

prity

I get problem in launchin eclipse i have jdk1.5…
    Evry time i try 2 launch it gives
    JVM Terminate Exit Code=1
    C:\Program Files\My Eclipse6.1 Blue\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    followd by some code….
    How can i fix this problem??
    Please HELP!!!

#300552 Reply

prity,
    Have you tried any of the fixes mentioned above?
    Also, can you tell me how you have installed your MyEclipseBlue?
    Did you try pulse as Joy has suggested you in the following post
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/problrm-launching-eclipse/&highlight=

#302161 Reply

Hello!

I am using Windows 7 x64 OS and I installed JDK 6 update 16 x64. Eclipse never started – it crashed on JVM Terminated = -1 status with a list of parameters.

Then I installed the JDK x86 (32-bit) version and it worked!

Don’t forget set the appropriate PATH variable
    – Right click My Computer – Environment Variables – System Variables – at the end paste the bin path of 32-bit JDK and hit OK.

Eclipse works! Yay! 🙂

#302186 Reply

sagar.hatekar,
    Thank you for posting your findings. These will be helpful.

#304340 Reply

nofxsnap

Thank you sagar.hatekar!!! I think you saved me a lot of headache.

#304902 Reply

This message has not been recovered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Problem starting Eclipse – JVM terminated. Exit code=1

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in