facebook

Problems:Clean undeploy, console stack no link code, jrebel

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. WebSphere Development
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Gianluca84
    Participant

The company for witch I work is considering migrating from WASD/RAD to MyEclipse Blue 64 bit, we use Websphere 7 as application server, and I conducted all my tests on
    the 32bit developer version available at the ibm website fixed at 7.0.0.17.

I’ve successfully migrated our projects, each consisting in an ear project with a number of war modules attached, usually each war project has a dependency on a jar
    project that contains it’s database logic.

During the testing of the (faboulos let me say) MyEclipse Blue 9.1, I’ve come across some minor glitches that were anyway very annoying. I will post them here in case
    anyone will face similar problems and in the hope that somebody will enlight me on how to resolve the issue that still exists:

1. While switching from one container to another (Classical-Enhanced-In-Workspace) it can happen that the ide will continue to say that the some of the projects you’ve
    deployed (in expanded mode usually) aren’t fully undeployed (and the deploy log still says all fine).
    Sometimes launching myeclipse -clean will resolve this issue but,
    if you like me found the time that you’re really stuck in classical mode while you want to test the enhanced mode, well, clear all the temp folder into your youWebsphere/yourprofile/ that contains the projects you’ve previously deployed
    in preferences->websphere 7 connector screen click “Restore to default” button and the you can point again to your websphere installation directory and reload your
    profiles. It worked fine for me.

1.1 It will be nice and not too difficult I belive, to add on the right click menu of a server in the server screen an option to clean all previous
    deployments, just in case. The deploy overwriting function in the deployment screen does not always work.

2. While running the application all the stack traces in the console are not linked to the code (es. clicking the line Number), I thought it was that my project didn’t
    have any source attached but looking into the Source tab under Java build path, the source forder of our code is set correctly(Excluded none) just as the default
    output folder for all the projects. All is set the same as it was before in WASD. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

3. The in-workspace mode does not work for us, during the deploy fase some errors appears in the console, I’ve attached them in a txt.

4. I’ve tried the jrebel plugin for MyEclipse, unfortunately with no success so far, the first problem was caused by Websphere: jrebel passes some parameters to the
    jvm to let it configure itself as a java agent, those parameters include path to the installation directory of jrebel, by default the myeclipse plugin version installs
    jrebel into the current workspace, if this path to the workspace directory contains any spaces(as MyEclipse Blue Edition 9.1 workspace default do) the server will not
    be able to start successfully, websphere’s fault.

The other problem I believe is caused by configuration of the rebel.xml for the ear project. Maybe I did it wrong as the application is successfully deployed and the
    server is running but calling it from the browser nothing happen, nothing in the logs too. I have a rebel.xml for all the modules wars and jars of the ear but none at
    the ear level. Each rebel.xml has been created with the automatic function. If anyone faced a similar problem, we would be glad to hear how it has been resolved.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #319377 Reply

Brian Fernandes

I’m glad you are enjoying Blue, thank you so much for the constructive and detailed feedback:

1) Strangely enough we’ve come across very similar cases in recent testing, so this particular problem is on our fix list. Also, a “remove all deployments” action will be handy, so I’ll consider that as well.

2) I would like a clarification here – your stack trace has line numbers and clicking them does nothing OR there are no line numbers in the stack trace either?

3) Seems like the root cause is a missing class. We have a bug in 9.1 where dependent Java projects are not deployed in in-workspace mode as they should, is the missing class in your case part of a dependent Java project (your mentioned JAR projects).

4) I assume you were able to get around the first problem? There are, unfortunately, some “space in path” issues which WebSphere itself is unforgiving on, but we’ll take a look at this specific case. I’ll ask the JRebel team to weigh in on this.

Thanks again for the compliments, I’ll pass them on to the team – I’m sure you’ll continue to enjoy Blue.

#319383 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

1) Strangely enough we’ve come across very similar cases in recent testing, so this particular problem is on our fix list. Also, a “remove all deployments” action will be handy, so I’ll consider that as well.

Very good thanks.

@clarific wrote:

2) I would like a clarification here – your stack trace has line numbers and clicking them does nothing OR there are no line numbers in the stack trace either?

That’s right I’ve got line numbers at the end of each line of the stack trace, but they’re not linked to the code, so if I click on them nothin happens…

@inworkspace wrote:

3) Seems like the root cause is a missing class. We have a bug in 9.1 where dependent Java projects are not deployed in in-workspace mode as they should, is the missing class in your case part of a dependent Java project (your mentioned JAR projects).

Yep, I think that’s my case, infact the missing classes are inside a dependent JAR project. Okay I’ll wait to hear news about this.

4) Yes, and I’ve contacted the jrebel team as well for the second problem.

Thanks again

#319511 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

I’m updating this thread to point out some issue with jrebel that have been partially resolved. As I have said earlier both MyEclipse and the workspace path must not contains any spaces or else websphere will complain misteriously and the server won’t even start.

In my case to make jrebel finally work I had to generate rebel.xml config files for each module (WAR/JAR) of my project(EAR) and I had to deploy it completely in Classical mode Expanded over a stopped server instance.
    After this procedure I was able to configure correctly the server connector in Jrebel mode, to start the server with the project already deployed, and to work normally with jrebel plugin for MyEclipse active.

I suggest the staff working at MyEclipse to fix the deployment procedure of an EAR project: I think that once the connector is configured in jrebel mode, the deployment to the server should work as the classical deployment.

In my case if you do the deployment while on jrebel mode that seems to happen very fast but no file will actually be tranferred in the websphere directory for deployment. MyEclipse will continue to show a correct deployment, but the project is not present even in the websphere admin console; jrebel and the server will start with no project so the server will be unresponsive for your application.

Second thing is a minor one: even when I’m in jrebel mode and all is working fine, certain changes will modify the deployment status of my project to “redeploy” while instead jrebel took care of the redeployment. So maybe in this case the status should remain “updated”.

Any news/suggestion on the console issue above?

Thanks

#319605 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Sorry for the delayed response, I missed the update on this.

I’m updating this thread to point out some issue with jrebel that have been partially resolved. As I have said earlier both MyEclipse and the workspace path must not contains any spaces or else websphere will complain misteriously and the server won’t even start.

This is only when using JRebel, correct?

I suggest the staff working at MyEclipse to fix the deployment procedure of an EAR project: I think that once the connector is configured in jrebel mode, the deployment to the server should work as the classical deployment.

This should already be the behavior, once in JRebel mode we prevent the choice of any additional deployment settings and the project should be deployed in a mode that is compatible with JRebel.

In my case if you do the deployment while on jrebel mode that seems to happen very fast but no file will actually be tranferred in the websphere directory for deployment. MyEclipse will continue to show a correct deployment, but the project is not present even in the websphere admin console; jrebel and the server will start with no project so the server will be unresponsive for your application.

So as I understand this, you had to perform all the above work-around steps to get a JRebel deployment working for you?

Second thing is a minor one: even when I’m in jrebel mode and all is working fine, certain changes will modify the deployment status of my project to “redeploy” while instead jrebel took care of the redeployment. So maybe in this case the status should remain “updated”.

Clear, this is something we’ll be looking into.

I’m afraid I do not yet have a solution for the console issue atm.

#319610 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

This is only when using JRebel, correct?

Yep.

So as I understand this, you had to perform all the above work-around steps to get a JRebel deployment working for you?

That’s right, with this workaround MyEclipse+Jrebel works fine.

I’m afraid I do not yet have a solution for the console issue atm.

🙁 well, it’s no big deal but we were used to this feature and now is deeply missed…
    I hope you’ll come up with something soon.

Thanks anyway

#319635 Reply

@Gianluca84 wrote:

4. I’ve tried the jrebel plugin for MyEclipse, unfortunately with no success so far, the first problem was caused by Websphere: jrebel passes some parameters to the
    jvm to let it configure itself as a java agent, those parameters include path to the installation directory of jrebel, by default the myeclipse plugin version installs
    jrebel into the current workspace, if this path to the workspace directory contains any spaces(as MyEclipse Blue Edition 9.1 workspace default do) the server will not
    be able to start successfully, websphere’s fault.

Are you using Windows? Spaces should be tolerated on Windows (JRebel for MyEclipse will try to convert them to short paths, like C:/PROGRA~1 etc.). If there’s a problem with this, could you send an e-mail to support@zeroturnaround.com

#319644 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

Are you using Windows? Spaces should be tolerated on Windows (JRebel for MyEclipse will try to convert them to short paths, like C:/PROGRA~1 etc.). If there’s a problem with this, could you send an e-mail to support@zeroturnaround.com

Yes Windows 7 sp1 64 bit, already contacted zeroturnaround they didn’t provide me with any other solution at the moment. I’ve already tried to manually configure jrebel plugin with shorts path and it worked, but appearently the paths doesn’t get converted automatically.

#319676 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

2. While running the application all the stack traces in the console are not linked to the code (es. clicking the line Number), …

Update:
    I’ve tried with WAS 6.1 and the same identical situation as before.The problem is gone, the stack traces link correctly to the code.

We’d like to see this problem fixed for WAS 7.0 anyway since it’s our new development server of choice.

I’ll add that our code is compiled with 1.4 compiler compliance level and we’re using WAS7 jdk to run ithe server.

#319681 Reply

@Gianluca84 wrote:

Yes Windows 7 sp1 64 bit, already contacted zeroturnaround they didn’t provide me with any other solution at the moment. I’ve already tried to manually configure jrebel plugin with shorts path and it worked, but appearently the paths doesn’t get converted automatically.

I work at ZeroTurnaround. Someone else handled your case who didn’t know about the intricacies of the Eclipse plug-in. The short path thing should work, but I suspect it doesn’t due to your Windows being in a language we haven’t tested with (Italian I guess?). If you want to open a new support case by sending an e-mail to support again, it would help us get this fixed (and I’ll make sure I’ll handle that case). There are some details I’d need to ask you that I’d rather ask through e-mail than a public forum.

#319682 Reply

Gianluca84
    Participant

Thanks Erkki_Lindpere!

I’ve just send an email directed to you to support at ZeroTurnaround with more info.
    For anything else contact me.

Thanks again.

#320119 Reply

2. While running the application all the stack traces in the console are not linked to the code (es. clicking the line Number), …

There’s any chance that this problem will be fixed in the next MyEclipse update?

I thought that it wouldn’t be to hard since it happens only with WAS 7 both 32 and 64 bit as I said before the console works perfectly with WAS 6.1! (And by the way the Stack control trace screen of the console works in both situations but we have to copy and paste the code all the time!)

Hope to hear from you soon.

#320661 Reply

Any news for the next update?

#320663 Reply

Brian Fernandes

The stack link issue for WAS 7 has been fixed in MyEclipse 10. Unfortunately we are experiencing a few issues in the 10.0 release but are working hard to release it this week.

Thank you for asking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Problems:Clean undeploy, console stack no link code, jrebel

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in