facebook

Problems Window only showing some Errors

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Smitty
    Participant

Hi,

I noticed not all the Java compile Errors are showing up in my Problems Window. For example I open one Java file and change one of the instance variables word static to stat to get a compile error and this shows up in the Problems window. Then I fix that and then change the same Java file but change the word null used in one of my methods to nll and this error doesn’t show up in the Problems window. The error count on the problem window doesn’t list it as an error either.

I tried setting the Problem Windows defaults back, but that doesn’t fix it.

I tried reopening MyEclipse with -clean and that doesn’t fix it.

I tried a clean build, but still not working.

This appears to be only in one of my WorkSpaces and is a recent problem.

Any ideas on what I can look for to fix this? Recreating the workspace for this project is a large task and I don’t want to do that unless I have to.

I’m using MyEcipse 6.0.1-GA-200710

Thanks,
    Smitty

#295516 Reply

Loyal Water

Smitty,
    I was unable to reproduce this issue at my end.Can you please paste a sample file here for me and then tell me the steps to be followed to reproduce this issue.

Thanks.

#295540 Reply

Smitty
    Participant

Nipun,

I was working on an example, but found a null pointer exception in my .log file related to checkstyle. So I uninstalled the checkstyle plugin and removed the builder from my projects. Tried it again and now no Errors show up in the Problems window for any type of compile error. I reinstalled the checkstyle plugin and it no longer gives a null pointer exception, but still no errors show up.

I did notice in the editor that little red box on the right next to each error is a red outline box. I’ve noticed before (I believe) some of these boxes to be solid red. What’s the difference? Do errors with the red outline box show up and ones with the solid red box not show up? If that’s the case all of mine are red outlines now for any type of compile error. On the left in the editor I have the light bulb wth the red x next to each error. Warnings still show up fine in the Problems window, it’s just errors that no longer show up.

Is there a way to reinstall just the Problems Window? I doubt it, but thought I’d ask anyway.

Thanks,
    Smitty

#295581 Reply

Loyal Water

Do errors with the red outline box show up and ones with the solid red box not show up?

All the errors and warnings should show up.

Is there a way to reinstall just the Problems Window? I doubt it, but thought I’d ask anyway.

I’m afraid there is not to reinstall just the Problems Window.

Can you switch to a new workspace, create a new project and check if the problem persists by introducing some errors in a file. This will help us figure out if its a workspace related issue.

#295598 Reply

Smitty
    Participant

Good thinking.

I tried a new workspace and it worked fine. So, I started poking around in the workspace meta data and found this:
    .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs and compared it to my working workspace.
    Several things were different so I replaced the one in my bad workspace with the one from the good and now it works now.

I’m not sure how this got messed up, but I was working with different filtering and even though I clicked on reset defaults when I was done it seems like it didn’t reset everything back.

The following were set to false in my bad workspace:
    \:org.eclipse.jdt.core.buildpath_problem\:false
    \:org.eclipse.jdt.core.problem\:false
    \:org.eclipse.pde.core.problem\:false
    :org.eclipse.jdt.launching.jreContainerMarker\:false

and this was set to 4 where in my good workspace it was 0:
    severity\=”4

Thanks,
    Smitty

#295618 Reply

Loyal Water

Smitty,
    I’m not sure what could have messed it up but you could have tried using -clean to fix the workspace issue.
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshoot-using-the-clean-command-line-argument/

Anyway, glad you got the issue resolved.

#295628 Reply

Smitty
    Participant

Thanks.

I had tried -clean several times and it didn’t work. Is it supposed to change these setting?

What surprises me is that clicking on the “Restore Defaults” in the Problems Windows > Filters Window didn’t correct this.

It’s working now though and I know what to do next time if it happens again.

Thanks for your help,
    Smitty

#295696 Reply

Loyal Water

Your welcome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Problems Window only showing some Errors

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in